IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

MOTHS!

DS9ACU
    DS9ACU
    Officer Candidate
    Officer Candidate

Registration date : 2009-07-15
    Number of posts : 530

MOTHS! Empty MOTHS!

Post by DS9ACU Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:51 pm

Hi, I am presenting this question and example to try and see what other people do with these buggers. Over the last few months I have noticed quite a few moths in my room (its my bedroom and my militaria storage room). The thing is they aren't around my collection. Its quite odd. I have only a few wool items and they are all safely packed away in air tight bags. Also I have a fail-safe of moth balls in my closet and under my bed (houses some other stuff in ammo boxes). But these buggers keep showing up, in corners of the room that have no army stuff. Its really odd. Does anyone have any ideas why this may be or any suggestions on how to get rid of them. There quite small in size and I'm not sure where they are coming from.
    nkomo
    nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Name : Arch
    Registration date : 2009-02-13
    Number of posts : 3324

MOTHS! Empty Re: MOTHS!

Post by nkomo Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:49 pm

Here is a great thread started over on USMF: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14871

Here is one I found online as well: http://www.livingwithbugs.com/clothes_moth.html

Another link: http://www.epestsupply.com/moths.htm

Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

Registration date : 2010-05-02
    Number of posts : 674

Post by vicka1971 Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:38 pm

Hey Oliver

We( post Soviet republics) used to use"grand mother recipe" Very Happy . Open cigarette package and put in closet between wool clothes. This sistem used to work( the bugs hates tobaco smell) .Good luck. Vitalis Wink
    Mercenary25
    Mercenary25

Name : Jeremy
    Registration date : 2009-03-02
    Number of posts : 1419

Post by Mercenary25 Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:04 am

vicka1971 wrote:Hey Oliver

We( post Soviet republics) used to use"grand mother recipe" Very Happy . Open cigarette package and put in closet between wool clothes. This sistem used to work( the bugs hates tobaco smell) .Good luck. Vitalis Wink

The opened bottle of Vodka might would help as well? Laughing

MOTHS! Oifbanner

http://oefoif.forumotion.net/forum.htm
    vicka1971
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

Registration date : 2010-05-02
    Number of posts : 674

Post by vicka1971 Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:53 pm

Mercenary25 wrote:
    vicka1971 wrote:Hey Oliver

The opened bottle of Vodka might would help as well? Laughing

Yes ,Vodka works well too,but after when you see results with tobaco cheers
    saltefanden
    saltefanden
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Registration date : 2010-12-23
    Number of posts : 731

Post by saltefanden Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:28 pm

Hi guys,

My whole building just recently got sprayed for cloth moths (not to be confused with kitchen or flour moths) and it was my understanding, that it is a global phenomenon that moths are on the rise. Possibly due to better insulated homes and a lack of general cleanliness in private homes.
    Not that I insunuate y'all are slobs, it's your neighbours, I'm sure!

Moths like to spawn in dark, dusty and hard to reach places, and though they prefer wool, fur and other protein-based garments, they will happily go to town on cotton if they have no other alternative. Air, light and a good hoovering can ward off a the little beasts to a certain extent.

If you see free flying moths, it can be a sign of a massive inferstation, as they usually like to keep their presence discreet, like all good special ops teams.

Have your collection and your home professionally sprayed, and put all your wool items in the freezer for no less than 48 hours to effectively kill off all remaining larvae. The wool will not be effected by freezing how ever old or frail it may be.

You can buy DIY insectisides in drugstores or pharmacists, at least here in Europe, with agents such as Permethrin to keep 'em from comming back.

Hope this helps. My girlfriend certainly lost out to the moths, having much of her expensive wool clothes left looking like someone took a shotgun to them. Thank God most uniform systems are cotton and with a medium to high polyester content!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 5:50 am