IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+11
Guessologist
koalorka
drmatz
saltefanden
Martin
fourtycoats
Easy Gee
Camosaurus
Philip
CollectinSteve
Camo_fiend
15 posters

M84 Camouflage Uniform

Guessologist
    Guessologist
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Name : Ben P.
    Registration date : 2009-02-17
    Number of posts : 282

M84 Camouflage Uniform - Page 2 Empty Re: M84 Camouflage Uniform

Post by Guessologist Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:30 am

saltefanden wrote:Wow Mr. Matz,

That is an impressive and beautifully varied hoard of genuine, issued Danish gear!

-cut-

Like I said - please, give a genuine web-spastic a quick lesson on how to upload pictures, and I'll regale all with what I've got!

Hi,

There is a good step-by-step guide posted by Danilo in this topic: https://iacmc.forumotion.com/t4373-hello-from-sunny-stoke-on-trent-uk
    Gary has also a link to a topic. Hope this points you in the right direction.

Cheers,
    Ben
    saltefanden
    saltefanden
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Registration date : 2010-12-23
    Number of posts : 731

Post by saltefanden Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:50 am

Hi Ben,

Thank you heaps! I'll see what I can do with Danilo's instructions and try to strut my stuff!
    koalorka
    koalorka
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Registration date : 2010-05-22
    Number of posts : 1733

Post by koalorka Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:28 pm

I just received a set of genuine M/84 from an excellent trader in DK (you know who you are!) so I could finally compare the two.

The 2004 set was purchased from a popular vendor in the UK, at the time I was not aware of the "reject" status of these uniforms. I was pretty impressed with it anyway, it was one of the better-made combat uniforms I have encountered. But having acquired the older, authentic stuff, it's in a class of its own. What a quality field uniform! The fabric is much denser and with a noticeably lower nylon content, the colours are brighter and the print considerably sharper, 1996 on the left, 2004 on the right:

M84 Camouflage Uniform - Page 2 Picture12579

Left: 1996; right - 2004:

M84 Camouflage Uniform - Page 2 Picture12582

Danish stuff has to be my favorite of any contemporary European military.

CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6888

Post by CollectinSteve Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:52 am

Nice side-by-side. You can really see how the black bleed in the 2004 affects the crispness of the pattern.

Steve
    drmatz
    drmatz

Name : danilo matz
    Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 2103

Post by drmatz Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:28 pm

Hi Saltefaden,

Thanks for your kind words, I've being pretty lucky getting my Danish stuff, the only items I actually paid for were my jacket and the tropical shirt. All the rest came from trades- the chemical suit my brother acquired a while ago on eBay...
    So fortunately I did not spend a lot to have a nice range of Danish stuff

Hi raff nice comparison shot, I wonder which on is actually more effective on the field...
    Cheers
    Danilo
    koalorka
    koalorka
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Post by koalorka Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:31 pm

drmatz wrote:Hi Saltefaden,
    Hi raff nice comparison shot, I wonder which on is actually more effective on the field...
    Cheers
    Danilo

I think the "rejects" may be too dark overall for field use.
    saltefanden
    saltefanden
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post by saltefanden Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:34 pm

Hi Koalorka,

Well I won't raise myself up to be the judge on which M/84 pattern works 'the best', but since most people in this forum agrees that the 2004-made uniforms are rejects (apparently they weren't good enough for the Danish Army), we must turn to the air-softers out there;
    Does anyone have any 'field experience' wearing the one or other pattern?

Check out the French airsoft forum 'Nordic Addict' (which is MASSIVE but sadly only in French) for truckloads of pictures with guys wearing predominantly 2004-made M/84 uniforms, in or out of the woods, and judge for yourselves.

http://forum.france-airsoft.fr/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t75024-0.html

The difference in colours and crispness may not detract hugely, as the pattern seems to work well in most vegetated areas. Someone, somewhere wrote that the pattern seems to 'spunge up the surrounding colours and enviroment' and I find that to be very true.

So I guess even a badly made M/84 is still a pretty good M/84 Wink
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6888

Post by CollectinSteve Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:52 pm

Yes, it's like a "bad" Belgian beer. It's still better than 95% of the world's best beers Very Happy

Although the US supply of the rejects seems to have dried up, there's tons of them on eBay very recently. In fact, I just bought another set of trousers because I couldn't find any more here in the US. Price was about the same even when the exchange rate was taken into consideration.

Steve
    koalorka
    koalorka
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Post by koalorka Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:12 am

Yeah, they're still better made than most other uniforms. I'm keeping my 2004 set, but damn, there's a LOT of them floating around.

Tophe
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2011-05-25
    Number of posts : 35

Post by Tophe Wed May 25, 2011 11:50 am

Hi,

I'm one of the Nordic Addict from the french forum above. I find this post very interesting.
    I'm the owner of one of these 2004 set. But I've got too some 2005 lightweight ripstop products.
    I also collect fabric.

Here are some pictures I made some months ago :

M84 Camouflage Uniform - Page 2 110501043330951478087281
    On the right below is some camo fabric in M/01 ripstop. I think they got some problem during the printing because there are some small brown spot in tan areas that shouldn't be there. You need to look carefully to see them but you can see them.

On top is the bigger mistake I've ever seen. That's also ripstop fabric. Light green should be dark green, dark green = black and dark green = light green.

On the left is a twill fabric from an unknown origin. You can see a piece of pant from 2004 set on top of the picture. It's darker than the fabric.
    Same picture, higher resolution : M84 Camouflage Uniform - Page 2 Mini_110525040818951478214803

M84 Camouflage Uniform - Page 2 Mini_110525040622951478214779
    Squares of pattern in Miss/84, M/01 and M84. You can see that the M84 pattern is offbeat about 30cm to the right.

M84 Camouflage Uniform - Page 2 Mini_110525040944951478214805
    Last picture with a set in M/84 lightweigth ripstop and a used M/01 pant.

I will do some comparison picture next week-end.

Somebody heard something about a new danish camo to be adopted ? A mix between M/84 (too dark) and M/01 (too sand) ?

Of course I agree for the Belgian beer.
    And Sorry for my bad english, it's not my mother tongue.
    saltefanden
    saltefanden
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post by saltefanden Sun May 29, 2011 8:50 am

Hello Tophe,
    I've seen your posts on Nordic Addict, welcome to this thread! And don't appologize about your written language; your english is far, far better than my written french will ever be, I'm affraid - thank God for Google Translate!

But I can see nothing wrong with the M/01 camo print you have - maybe the resolution is not high enough - but there have always been small brown spots breaking up the pattern in most of the bigger tan areas. The M/84 and M/01 are not completely comparable in colour and composition.

And then yes; I've also heard the terrible rumour that the Danish Army are considering changing to a MultiCam-type blend of the two patterns, which strikes me as the totally wrong time to do it:
    The M/84 works exeptionally well in native Danish woodland, heaths and tall grass during spring, summer, late summer, and M/01 can be used, not only in desert or arid areas, but also Danish autumn and especially snowless winter.
    The fact that the Danish NATO forces are also leaving Helmand province in Afghanistan within 12 months, is another curious fact, since it was thát specific theater that made the Brittish Forces change from Desert DPM's to MTP.
    The Danish troops are leaving A-stan, their two destinctive camo's work well 'at home', so why join the Brittish, American, Moldovan, Polish (though the jury is still out on that one) and other countries, that are all joining the MultiCam family?

I have my information from the good people at PX-Shop in Copenhagen, who are the official Crye dealers in Denmark, and they have both made Crye combats in true Danish M/84 with the M/01 up and comming, but had also been privy to the rumours of talks between the Danish Army and Crye themselves.

So maybe we will get our own take on flecktarn-style MultiCam? I dó like what I see with the Brittish blend of their traditional DPM pattern and Crye's well-documented effective colours. So I may have to learn to love a spot-type version?

But that decision should also breathe new hope into all out there, who still hunger for M/01 uniforms, as availability would go up for sure!
    Zoev
    Zoev

Registration date : 2011-07-12
    Number of posts : 5

Post by Zoev Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:43 am

I saw a Danish Officer wearing a set of these, but they seemed much brighter than the ones in the photos.
    nlchmbrs

Registration date : 2011-04-24
    Number of posts : 7

Post by nlchmbrs Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:51 am

Just thought I'd chuck my two penneth in here; I've just recieved a 2004 set of these from a seller on eBay.co.uk. First impressions were that 1) it seemed very dark to really be an effective temperate camouflage; there's just not enough contrast and 2) it's probably the best constructed set I own.

I'm pleased I started to do my reaserch (on here) after I bought the set, because If I'd thought they were a QA reject I would have streered well clear and deprived myself of an awesome set.
    saltefanden
    saltefanden
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post by saltefanden Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:51 am

Oh yes nichmbrs, the sets themselves are superbly made, only the colour scheme has been up for debate.

With this thread almost a year old, I've still to come up with an explanation for why the 2004-made jackets and pants ever came on the market in the first place, but exactly the dark colours and lack of crispness in the pattern I think, goes a long way.

But Gentlemen, availability of this variant is drying up as we speak:

British eBay seller PeeleysCombat has had the 2004-type M/84 jacket and pants for sale for years now, and the price just jumped from 25 and 29 to 50 GBP.
    And 18-19 GBP auctions are gone, only 'Buy Now' is available.

So these things are getting more and more rare. Even if you disconsider the Danish issue 'legality' of the uniforms, they are still a magnificent piece of kit!
    Cascade

Registration date : 2011-11-19
    Number of posts : 6

Post by Cascade Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:14 am

Thanks very much to all posters on this thread, you've helped me out a lot. Aside from 'its very high quality' I'd probably avoid it just based on the 'reject' status.

I'm a little confused about the sizing avaible from fu-kit.com (and flecktarn.uk as well), maybe someone can help me out?

I would gues that both shops sell the 2004 reject series, and would have the same basic sizes avaible. But the lenghts that fu-kit.com list go up to 92cm long......that seems very long compared to the pics I've seen. Even though I'm just over 6'3'' tall, jackets I own that seem to come to a similar level to the M84 jackets I've seen in pics is only about 80cm long.

I think I've seen 170/XX, 180/XX 185-195/XX and 195-205/XX sizing for the danish stuff, and it might be the offical sizing, but I simply dont have the experience (or knowledge of danish) to know. Researching the question didnt seem to help much.

I would guess that the M84 jackets flecktarn.uk has ('42XL') would probably be the same as the fu-kit 40-42/92cm.

What am I getting wrong? Is it my impression of the length from pics, or is it due to danish jackets coming in differering lenghts for differing heights?

koalorka wrote:I just received a set of genuine M/84 from an excellent trader in DK (you know who you are!) so I could finally compare the two.

I think I know who you mean, but without a link I cant be sure.

I spose that the genuine M84 gear is more expensive than the reject stuff.
    saltefanden
    saltefanden
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post by saltefanden Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:55 am

Hey Cascade,

I'll PM you straight away, so I can send you a Danish Army size chart over the M/84 uniform system.
    (I'm still too much of an it-novice to post the stuff here myself)

Danish sizes are completely their own, but comes with NATO size codes as well. The "170-180/XX"-type sizes are the Swedish Army sizes I believe.
    The Danish chart is made out with centimeters and kilo's but is easy enough to read. Otherwise I'll happily help you out!

The agreed issue M/84 uniform bits are somewhat harder to get and somewhat more expensive, but not through-the-roof expensive.
    And as posted earlier, some eBay dealers are already asking as much as 50 GBP for the 2004-made rejected jackets. Thát should land you a fine 'real' one easily!

Cascade

Registration date : 2011-11-19
    Number of posts : 6

Post by Cascade Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:20 am

PMs checked, email sent, Thanks saltefanden.

I'll have a look at the chart, maybe I can post it for the other members here. Someone else might find it handy. Wink
    saltefanden
    saltefanden
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post by saltefanden Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:27 am

Why yes, do post the charts - Danish Army sizes are a bit arcane Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content