IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Discussing Finnish uniform tags/stamps

CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6906

Discussing Finnish uniform tags/stamps Empty Discussing Finnish uniform tags/stamps

Post by CollectinSteve Sat May 07, 2011 3:11 pm

We got into a detailed conversation about Finnish uniform tags/stamps elsewhere. I am moving the relevant information here to continue the conversation where it won't get lost. Here's the relevant information from the previous thread, which you can find here.

h
    CollectinSteve wrote:
    drmatz wrote:hi Steve,

well i'm not sure about the finnish set, i think is the m91 version, i have an older jacket from 1992, than one from 1997 and this set which is dated 2003 and have exact same tag as my desert m05

Hmmm... well, then I don't think that's a good sign for your Desert m05, unfortunately Sad All genuine issue Finnish items I have ever seen, including my Desert m05, have a separate label with a sort of castle looking symbol with a number inside. I don't know what the number represents, but the combo castle/number is in everything from 1960s through present as far as I know.

Steve

drmatz wrote:hi steve,
    i think i have to dispute you on that, none of my finnish stuff post 1990's has that label (but all my m62's have), i have 3 desert m05, one is the rip stop version the other 2 are the cotton version, they all came from different sources and 2 of them came from finland. Same with the m91, i have 2 early jackets (again 2 from finland and 1 from US), and this more recent set, none of them have that label... either every single item i have from Finland is commercial, which would really piss me off, or this label is not present in every uniform, also it could have being cut off in order to leave Finland, i know the swedes cut the crown from their uniforms in order to sell as surplus...

here are pics of uniforms and tags...
    m91pants - 1998
    Discussing Finnish uniform tags/stamps P1070910
    Discussing Finnish uniform tags/stamps P1070911

M91 - jacket
    Discussing Finnish uniform tags/stamps P1130910
    Discussing Finnish uniform tags/stamps P1070912

m91-jacket 2
    Discussing Finnish uniform tags/stamps P1260515
    Discussing Finnish uniform tags/stamps P1260516

m05 desert rip stop
    Discussing Finnish uniform tags/stamps P1190510
    Discussing Finnish uniform tags/stamps P1190613

m05
    Discussing Finnish uniform tags/stamps P1130911
    Discussing Finnish uniform tags/stamps P1150810

drmatz wrote:well i was just double checking my other finnish stuff and only 1 m62 set has the "castle" and is not a label is a stamp, all the other 3 variants of the m62 i have, don't have the label as well (and no tags at all)... here is a photo of the "castle"

Discussing Finnish uniform tags/stamps P1070913

CollectinSteve wrote:Danilo,

It's interesting because all of my items, including a rain set (I'd have to dig it out to triple check), have the castle logo. This includes two m/62 sets, rain set, m/91, and m/05 Desert. Dates are from 1960s through 2005. I did have a commercial m/62 at one point and it lacked the crown (it also had extra pockets that had been removed). I'll see if I can get a definitive answer from some Finnish contacts I have.

One thing to note... remember that we're pretty much talking about stuff made for military, worn by military, but not necessarily government contract. This gets us into one of those gray areas of "semi-official". So it's not like what you have are TruSpec ACUs which are absolutely commercial and only worn in violation of military regulations.

Steve

CollectinSteve wrote:From a Finnish friend of mine. Take it for what it's worth Very Happy

That's easy. The VPu refers to (now defunct) Valtion Pukutehdas, the State Uniform Factory. 48 is size, 70 is year. Another common marking on older stuff is SA-Int (Suomen Armeija Intendentuuri). And yes, if there's no FDF castle on it then most likely it's been made for private market. The Defence Forces would be very unlikely to not put their stamp on everything that has passed through them, from MRE's to MBT's!

I've asked some follow up questions. Will report back if I get anything interesting.

Steve

Last edited by CollectinSteve on Sat May 07, 2011 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Discussing Finnish uniform tags/stamps Empty Re: Discussing Finnish uniform tags/stamps

Post by CollectinSteve Sat May 07, 2011 3:14 pm

A picture from Gilles' website shows a jacket with the castle tag removed. It can be found on his excellent Finnish page located here.

Discussing Finnish uniform tags/stamps Finlan22

Since the castle tags are (always?) separate from the manufacturer's tag, uniforms without the castle should be examined carefully to see if the tag was removed.

Steve
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Discussing Finnish uniform tags/stamps Empty Re: Discussing Finnish uniform tags/stamps

Post by CollectinSteve Sat May 07, 2011 3:28 pm

Danilo,

Look at this tag of yours:

Discussing Finnish uniform tags/stamps P1260516

See anything different between it and other tags? The wash/care instructions are in Finnish, English, and German. Not very likely for a genuine issue item I think.

Steve
    vonstuck
    vonstuck
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2010-03-30
    Number of posts : 3395

Post by vonstuck Sat May 07, 2011 4:24 pm

Discussing Finnish uniform tags/stamps Finlan27

Discussing Finnish uniform tags/stamps Finlan29

http://vonstuckcamouflage.free.fr/finland.php

koalorka
    koalorka
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Registration date : 2010-05-22
    Number of posts : 1733

Post by koalorka Tue May 10, 2011 1:23 am

I have one of these commercial M62 jackets, which were apparently worn by hunting clubs:

Discussing Finnish uniform tags/stamps Koa1o

Discussing Finnish uniform tags/stamps Koa2
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Tue May 10, 2011 1:56 am

OK, we have confirmation that the former government factory VPu (Valtion Pukutehdas) produced commercial items as well as military. Good to know.

I have a commercial set made by "Boreus Collection" that has a second set of tags that specifies "VPU Pukutehdas Oy". No date, cheap tags, only in Finnish. It's an exact copy of what appears to be the late production model, including the very odd zippers the Finns still use on their m/05 uniforms. The other feature is velcro on the left arm that does not have cloth protection at top and bottom. Or this could be a commercial cut and it's just popular with Finnish troops as I've seen many pictures of this type in use. I have no doubt that this fits into the "semi-official" category.

Steve
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Tue May 10, 2011 2:03 am

Danilo,

Check out this jacket of yours a little more closely:

Discussing Finnish uniform tags/stamps P1130910

I have a picture from eBay where the Castle label was located on the lower left flap that snaps over the zipper. See if there are signs of Castle labels in this particular area.

Steve
    Reiska
    Reiska
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Name : Carl
    Registration date : 2009-02-19
    Number of posts : 250

Post by Reiska Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:50 pm

Companies like Boreus and Reima make commercial versions for hunters in Finland. Mix-Vaate Oy manufactures work garments. I believe all current issue uniforms have the Finnish Defence Forces' castle logo on them.
    koalorka
    koalorka
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Registration date : 2010-05-22
    Number of posts : 1733

Post by koalorka Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:48 pm

An interesting thread. The Finnish government does not surplus the M/91 uniform and they are worn until they're reduced to scraps and then disposed of. Anything outside of the system should be commercial or somehow pilfered from FDF inventories. All Finnish uniforms have the crown property marks but they are often removed as noted earlier, here's an example of such tampering (M/91, government neutered):

Discussing Finnish uniform tags/stamps 003qvp

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:30 pm