IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Make your own Mannequins

DS9ACU
    DS9ACU
    Officer Candidate
    Officer Candidate

Registration date : 2009-07-15
    Number of posts : 530

Make your own Mannequins Empty Make your own Mannequins

Post by DS9ACU Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:52 pm

I am a member of a movie prop/costume forum and I've seen a lot of displays with mannequins. I also discovered how to make mannequins for a really cheap price if anyone is interested. All you really need is a few roles of duct tape and old clothes you don't need or some pallet wrap. I am in the process of making one but here are two videos showing 2 similar ways of doing it one with clothes and the other with wrap (neither are my video but are very helpful).

The first is from Indy Mogul a company/group that shows people how to make cheap things for movies. The video here uses the body cast as a stunt dummy.

The second is from someone using it for a movie costume display.

Both are presented a bit wackily (yes I created a word) but hopefully its helpful to anyone who wants to display their pieces but doesn't want to spend a lot doing it.
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6888

Make your own Mannequins Empty Re: Make your own Mannequins

Post by CollectinSteve Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:11 pm

Good advice. I saw one being made for a historical display. Worked well, but the clothes the model wore were too loose so the end product was a much bigger version of the guy. Still, it looked really good.

Steve
    DS9ACU
    DS9ACU
    Officer Candidate
    Officer Candidate

Post by DS9ACU Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:59 pm

Bringing this back from the dead. I'm going to hopefully have on done after Christmas and will post pics of it then.
    DS9ACU
    DS9ACU
    Officer Candidate
    Officer Candidate

Post by DS9ACU Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:18 pm

Here is my mannequin. It took me about 4-5 hours to do. I stuffed it with wrapping paper and other scraps of plastic.
    Make your own Mannequins Img_5715
    Make your own Mannequins Img_5716

Wearing some Swiss dress clothes.
    Make your own Mannequins Img_5717

Now all I have to do is build a stand because this guy cannot hold his own weight and tends to sag and then fall when propped up.
    kammo-man
    Major
    Major

Registration date : 2010-02-02
    Number of posts : 1086

Post by kammo-man Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:03 pm

Nice Cyber man .

owen
    nkomo
    nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Name : Arch
    Registration date : 2009-02-13
    Number of posts : 3320

Post by nkomo Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:28 am

I am doing my first display at a local Veterans Appreciation Day on May 19th. I am going to do a display of US Special Forces in Afghanistan 2001-2003. I am planning on doing six torsos and one full mannequin. I have all the uniforms and equipment I need, but didn't have enough mannequins. I haave one full mannequin and one torso mannequin. That leaves me five torsos short of what I need. That is a huge problem as good mannequins cost a lot of money.

Well, my wife came to my rescue. She went on the internet and figured out how to make one from scratch. I had my doubts at first, but I must say the mannequin came out very nicely.

Make your own Mannequins 00152
    Make your own Mannequins 00344

ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by nkomo Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:30 am

Here is the mannequin dressed in a modified DCU and traditional Afghan scarf. I would estimate that this mannequin cost about $25 to $30 to make. This is the first one, so my wife will refine the process. One down. Four more to go!

Make your own Mannequins 00436

Sergeant
    Sergeant

Registration date : 2011-12-02
    Number of posts : 236

Post by Albano Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:29 am

Nice torso nkomo. How about share the drawings so we can do some of those wonderful torsos too? Wink

Best regards

DS9ACU
    DS9ACU
    Officer Candidate
    Officer Candidate

Post by DS9ACU Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:22 pm

Very nice what did you stuff it with? Cotton or scrap paper and such? Or perhaps...something else?
    nkomo
    nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by nkomo Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:04 pm

I will get around to listing directions for this mannequin soon. In a nut shell, my wife took an idea she found and tweaked it. The mannequin is not stuffed with anything believe it or not. We made a duct tape "mold" from an existing mannequin, wrapped the duct tape mold in aluminum foil, then took pieces of CLOTH soaked in plaster of paris and placed several layers of those on the mold. Eventually, we partially split the plaster of paris body off the mold and then used more plater of paris to make the mannequin sturdy and to seal up the side seams. So far, I have had a uniform, body armor, and chest rig on the mannequin and it held up superbly.

I plan on making a step by step guide on how to make one of these mannequins. I will be documenting the process with the next mannequin. It is not hard at all, but does take some time.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:46 pm