IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
lammasulyon
Easy Gee
6 posters

Maggots and mosi's!!!

Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Gary
    Registration date : 2010-06-12
    Number of posts : 3591

Maggots and mosi's!!! Empty Maggots and mosi's!!!

Post by Easy Gee Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:23 am

Hi Guys.
    Thought you might like to see some kit of the non-clothing variety from my collection.Interestingly I looked into the value of this kit recently, and was amazed that the Arctic sleeping bags retail on the surplus market for £45.00 alone, so I might have a good dig about in my loft some more Laughing

N.B. Maggots are what some units of the British Armed forces call their sleeping bags!!

Arctic sleeping bag,this one dates from 2008.Maggots and mosi's!!! Dsc07216Maggots and mosi's!!! Dsc07217Maggots and mosi's!!! Dsc07218

Warm weather sleeping bag,this one's dated 2005.This is not the original stuff sack, but a water proof British forces DPM version.
    Maggots and mosi's!!! Dsc07219Maggots and mosi's!!! Dsc07220Maggots and mosi's!!! Dsc07221
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Maggots and mosi's!!! Empty Re: Maggots and mosi's!!!

Post by Easy Gee Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:29 am

Mosi net.

Maggots and mosi's!!! Dsc07222Maggots and mosi's!!! Dsc07223Maggots and mosi's!!! Dsc07224

10 minutes of effort,and these are the results...voila Smile

Maggots and mosi's!!! Dsc07225Maggots and mosi's!!! Dsc07226
    lammasulyon
    lammasulyon
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Name : Henry G
    Registration date : 2010-07-13
    Number of posts : 368

Post by lammasulyon Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:50 am

nice kit there, the arctic sleeping bag id really like to have!

I recall watching some documentary about the Royals in the arctic quite some years ago on an old VCR tape

They were showing the filmmakers how to properly use a arctic sleeping bag- from leaving your boots inside the bag to putting gloves into between your armpits to prevent it from freezing. Very interesting

cant remember what the doco was called- it had a marine named ross crane or craig (???) and few dutch marines in some exercise, and the opening was a drum roll along with a commando dagger...screw my memory
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:34 am

lammasulyon wrote:nice kit there, the arctic sleeping bag id really like to have!

I recall watching some documentary about the Royals in the arctic quite some years ago on an old VCR tape

They were showing the filmmakers how to properly use a arctic sleeping bag- from leaving your boots inside the bag to putting gloves into between your armpits to prevent it from freezing. Very interesting

cant remember what the doco was called- it had a marine named ross crane or craig (???) and few dutch marines in some exercise, and the opening was a drum roll along with a commando dagger...screw my memory

Thanks for looking and your comments Henry,I haven't had the opportunity to use the Arctic sleeping bag personally,but it is super thick and heavy.

I got all this kit off a serving RMC, I believe he used this lot in Iraq,but I bought the kit not the story, but I see no reason why he would BS me on this aspect, the Arctic is in desperate need of a wash and is full of mud and sand..maybe that's why it's so heavy scratch Laughing

Post by Guest Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:24 am

some nice kit you have there gary and ive not heard the term maggots before so ive learned something new i would compare the sleeping bag more to a caterpillar cheers pal james
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3858

Post by Gulf91 Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:08 pm

Not a fan of modern British kit Im afraid,love the old school kit and have 3 58 Patt Sleeping bags of which all 3 are different(one possibly quite special!!!!!!)so not sure what different types there are?

Makes a chance from jackets and helmets I guess and can be used,although most of the feathers have vanished out of mine which is understandable given their age and hard life they must have endured.
    Eaglehurst
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2011-06-06
    Number of posts : 57

Post by Eaglehurst Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:45 pm

Gulf91 wrote:(one possibly quite special!!!!!!)

Intrigued! Any photos?
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:21 am

Will post up some pics as soon as I get a chance Wink
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:19 am

Gulf91 wrote:Not a fan of modern British kit Im afraid,love the old school kit and have 3 58 Patt Sleeping bags of which all 3 are different(one possibly quite special!!!!!!)so not sure what different types there are?

Makes a chance from jackets and helmets I guess and can be used,although most of the feathers have vanished out of mine which is understandable given their age and hard life they must have endured.

Thanks for your comments Rich, I disagree though Smile

Modern sleeping bags can be washed and dried in one day, whereas the old 58 down filled were/are a nightmare to keep clean. I had a 58 back in the day, and threw it away in the end due to it's 'orrible damp smell,and the inability to wash and dry it. And dirty kit like this does not insulate correctly.

The lightweight sleeping bags are fantastic,pack down small, easy to wash and dry too. Admittedly my Arctic was more difficult ( but a priority wash, as the missus could not put up with the stench emitting from it)
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:22 am

jaycee wrote:some nice kit you have there gary and ive not heard the term maggots before so ive learned something new i would compare the sleeping bag more to a caterpillar cheers pal james

Thanks for looking James,yeah the maggot terminology is not that common amongst crap hats ( but does go well with mosi's).

And your right it does look more like a caterpillar than a maggot Laughing
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:26 am

Easy Gee wrote:
    Gulf91 wrote:Not a fan of modern British kit Im afraid,love the old school kit and have 3 58 Patt Sleeping bags of which all 3 are different(one possibly quite special!!!!!!)so not sure what different types there are?

Thanks for your comments Rich, I disagree though Smile

Modern sleeping bags can be washed and dried in one day, whereas the old 58 down filled were/are a nightmare to keep clean. I had a 58 back in the day, and threw it away in the end due to it's 'orrible damp smell,and the inability to wash and dry it. And dirty kit like this does not insulate correctly.

Sorry Gary,what I meant was purely as a collector,Modern Brit Kit doesnt get my juices flowing Im afraid but from a practical,useable point of view I agree 100%,the ol dbags are heavy,cumbersome and thats when theyre dry Laughing Laughing Laughing

Ive used one of mine on a few occasions and while it kept me warm and toasty I must have been stabbed 100s of times by them dammn feather stalks/stems(not sure of the correct term) poking through the inside of the bag Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Guess back in the day they were a Godsend as I remember my old man saying during his National Service days 53-55 all he had to kip in was his Greatcoat and IF he was lucky a woollen blanket on top Shocked Shocked

The lightweight sleeping bags are fantastic,pack down small, easy to wash and dry too. Admittedly my Arctic was more difficult ( but a priority wash, as the missus could not put up with the stench emitting from it)
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:37 am

Rich, I knew where you were coming from, as I respect your collecting hatred of all things S95 Laughing

Can't imagine having to kip on your greatcoat, good job we've moved on since then Shocked

I think the correct terminology for feather fillings is "LOFT", either way I agree that the bloody things sticking in you, when your trying to sleep is not good!!
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:41 am

Easy Gee wrote:Rich, I knew where you were coming from, as I respect your collecting hatred of all things S95 Laughing

Can't imagine having to kip on your greatcoat, good job we've moved on since then Shocked

I think the correct terminology for feather fillings is "LOFT", either way I agree that the bloody things sticking in you, when your trying to sleep is not good!!

Wouldnt quite go as far as hate Gary as I do Im afraid have a few S95 bits and a few DPM PLCE but anything post 91 isnt really for me.
    Raptor
    Raptor
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Registration date : 2011-08-15
    Number of posts : 327

Post by Raptor Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:55 am

Didn't want to start a whole new thread for this question but did any of you lot ever pick up one of the PECOC trials sleeping systems?I believe they were made by Carinthia and imported by BCB under the title MCSS(Modular combat sleeping system).Supposedly the item in question was a lightweight bag with a built in mozzi head net and a intermediate bag that you could attach together to make and arctic type bag.A gucci feature was a removable "foot liner" to protect the inside of the bags when wearing boots.i also believe a silk liner was supplied as well.Trialled by the bootnecks in Afghan circa 2008.
    Any info anybody??Or Pics??

PS: I believe the intermediate(carinthia defence 4) bag has now gone on general issue to the BA to replace the old maggot and a the snugpak jungle bag has replace the previous jungle sleeping bag issued since 2005.They dont integrate though.
    mk209
    mk209
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Registration date : 2012-05-23
    Number of posts : 218

Post by mk209 Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:53 pm

Got the MCSS by Carinthia, it is superb and packs down smaller than anything. I have all the sleeping bags but the best by far for cold is the US modular sleep system, it's huge but warmer than the arctic maggot.
    Raptor
    Raptor
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post by Raptor Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:39 am

Trying everywhere to get one of those.I believe there may have been a slight difference between the trials variant and the original Defence 4/tropen combo.Such as the colour code squares on the outer foot of each bag and the ability to zip them together.Does you one have those features??
    mk209
    mk209
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Registration date : 2012-05-23
    Number of posts : 218

Post by mk209 Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:53 pm

Mine is the original trials version. 2 bags with colour coded squares, a cotton inner liner and a stuff sack. I'll get some pics up when I'm back from the US. You can zip them together too.
    Raptor
    Raptor
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post by Raptor Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:57 am

Looking forward to seeing those pics!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 2:23 am