IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Flectarn Parka - Overdyed Black what model is it?

Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Gary
    Registration date : 2010-06-12
    Number of posts : 3591

Flectarn Parka - Overdyed Black what model is it? Empty Flectarn Parka - Overdyed Black what model is it?

Post by Easy Gee Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:28 am

Hi.

I recently bought this Parka on ebay for the princely sum of 99p, sadly it has been overdyed black, so apart from the cheap price,and the fact it's black,what model is it?

There's no labels, so I can't date I'm afraid, collecting steve I'm sure you will know Smile

Flectarn Parka - Overdyed Black what model is it? Dsc07449Flectarn Parka - Overdyed Black what model is it? Dsc07450
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6906

Flectarn Parka - Overdyed Black what model is it? Empty Re: Flectarn Parka - Overdyed Black what model is it?

Post by CollectinSteve Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:59 pm

That's a 1991 (or maybe 1992?) manufactured Flecktarn parka. The way to tell is copper snaps and pocket flaps with velcro sewn through to the front. The first version had the velcro stitching hidden, the third version has plastic snaps, all subsequent versions have no velcro. Too bad someone "civilianized" it by overdying it black. Still, not as bad as the Swiss TAZ90 trousers I got that were overdyed Sad

Steve

Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Flectarn Parka - Overdyed Black what model is it? Empty Re: Flectarn Parka - Overdyed Black what model is it?

Post by Easy Gee Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:21 am

CollectinSteve wrote:That's a 1991 (or maybe 1992?) manufactured Flecktarn parka. The way to tell is copper snaps and pocket flaps with velcro sewn through to the front. The first version had the velcro stitching hidden, the third version has plastic snaps, all subsequent versions have no velcro. Too bad someone "civilianized" it by overdying it black. Still, not as bad as the Swiss TAZ90 trousers I got that were overdyed Sad

Steve

Excellent cheers Steve, I knew you would be of assistance!!
    There is another puzzling aspect about German Parka's, I have this surplus store in my city, they sell the old OD Parka's but overdyed in purple Shocked.

I can't think of one reason why this would be, do you think there was a system where the Germans purposely overdyed these parkas for the surplus market,they also sell blue and grey one's but I assume these were Navy/Airforce issue???

Unsurprisingly I can't seem to convince myself to buy a purple one just yet Laughing

What colour are your Swiss trousers...I wonder if there is a product that safely removes this dye,without affecting the original print?

Anyway enough of my queries,thanks for your assistance Steve, very much appreciated Very Happy

CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6906

Post by CollectinSteve Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:30 pm

This happens from time to time. I remember in the early 1990s finding Belgian Jigsaw trousers, which were still uncommon on the market, overdyed black. They had piles of them like that, but I know for sure the Belgian Army didn't have anything to do with it. This was done by a wholesaler in order to make them more palatable for the urban fashion market.

In the case of the BW parka, probably trying to make them more sellable as plain parkas. These sell wholesale for a couple of Euros each. There's tens of thousands of these out on the market world wide without any modification. There's no reason why the BW would have any interest in adding costs to their side of the equation.

Steve
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:46 pm

CollectinSteve wrote:This happens from time to time. I remember in the early 1990s finding Belgian Jigsaw trousers, which were still uncommon on the market, overdyed black. They had piles of them like that, but I know for sure the Belgian Army didn't have anything to do with it. This was done by a wholesaler in order to make them more palatable for the urban fashion market.

In the case of the BW parka, probably trying to make them more sellable as plain parkas. These sell wholesale for a couple of Euros each. There's tens of thousands of these out on the market world wide without any modification. There's no reason why the BW would have any interest in adding costs to their side of the equation.

Steve

Thanks Steve, and yes this makes perfect sense, it would be daft for the BW to spend more money on dying their kit just to get shot of it, it would appear the demand for a more "fashionable" garment outweighs us collectors Wink

Albano
    Albano
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Registration date : 2011-12-02
    Number of posts : 236

Post by Albano Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:03 am

Purple dyed BW parkas.. The horror! NOoooooo...

DS9ACU
    DS9ACU
    Officer Candidate
    Officer Candidate

Registration date : 2009-07-15
    Number of posts : 530

Post by DS9ACU Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:39 am

It looks actually kind of cool. As much as I hate over dyed things this one came out kind of nice. It seems to be evenly dyed and with the white stitching still noticeable it makes it kind of neat.
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:32 pm

Albano wrote:Purple dyed BW parkas.. The horror! NOoooooo...

Yes, a Purple travesty no less, what is the world coming too, we all doomed Shocked
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:34 pm

Flecktarn92 wrote:It looks actually kind of cool. As much as I hate over dyed things this one came out kind of nice. It seems to be evenly dyed and with the white stitching still noticeable it makes it kind of neat.

Thanks Oli, I am growing more and more fond of it, and for 99p who could refuse it Wink
    cammobunker
    cammobunker
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2011-07-28
    Number of posts : 68

Post by cammobunker Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:48 am

CollectinSteve wrote:That's a 1991 (or maybe 1992?) manufactured Flecktarn parka. The way to tell is copper snaps and pocket flaps with velcro sewn through to the front. The first version had the velcro stitching hidden, the third version has plastic snaps, all subsequent versions have no velcro. Too bad someone "civilianized" it by overdying it black. Still, not as bad as the Swiss TAZ90 trousers I got that were overdyed Sad

Steve

Also the dressing pocket is on the right sleeve. Shortly after introducing this cut, someone in BW uniforms administration thought "Wait a tick! Most soldiers are right handed, so getting to a pocket on the right sleeve is a bit challenging. Perhaps the left sleeve..." I'd vote '91 on this one, or maybe late 90?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:02 pm