IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
bravo_2_zero
Bury_Dave
lammasulyon
loski
8 posters

Car Boot Find

loski
    loski
    Captain
    Captain

Name : Graham
    Registration date : 2010-08-11
    Number of posts : 919

Car Boot Find Empty Car Boot Find

Post by loski Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:52 pm

Hi guys I went to a local car boot sale today amd picked up this 190/120 size P90 DPM smock for a tenner im not sure what the patches on the sleeves are.Its in good nick and is just my size
    Car Boot Find 002-31
    Car Boot Find 001-31
    Car Boot Find 004-14
    Car Boot Find 003-19
    lammasulyon
    lammasulyon
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Name : Henry G
    Registration date : 2010-07-13
    Number of posts : 368

Car Boot Find Empty Re: Car Boot Find

Post by lammasulyon Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:27 am

nice find! over here many surplus shops stock dpm smocks, but ive yet to find this type!

The badge on the left sleeve is the 12 Mechanized Brigade- units in this brigade include Grenadier guards, Royal welsh, etc

On the right is the Royal Anglian Regt TRF- 1 Anglian is part of the 12 Mech Bde
    Bury_Dave
    Bury_Dave
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Name : Dave
    Registration date : 2012-02-14
    Number of posts : 822

Post by Bury_Dave Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:21 am

It's an '84 pattern smock. The second worst pice of uniform ever issued by the British Army. The worst being the matching trousers. Neither were durable. Both soaked up water like a sponge and the trousers were ridiculously tight legged and had such a long rise that the crotch split every time you tried to get over something.

Personally (and collecting aside) I wouldn't use that crap for rags !! Evil or Very Mad
    loski
    loski
    Captain
    Captain

Post by loski Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:33 am

Bury_Dave wrote:It's an '84 pattern smock. The second worst pice of uniform ever issued by the British Army. The worst being the matching trousers. Neither were durable. Both soaked up water like a sponge and the trousers were ridiculously tight legged and had such a long rise that the crotch split every time you tried to get over something.

Personally (and collecting aside) I wouldn't use that crap for rags !! Evil or Very Mad

Hi Dave
    I dont think its a P84 as it has 2 Vertical zipped pockets in the chest as I rember the P84 didnt have those.
    I was one of the lucky ones in my intake who was issued with 2 sets of P69 and have to agree that the P84 was crap.
    Bury_Dave
    Bury_Dave
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Name : Dave
    Registration date : 2012-02-14
    Number of posts : 822

Post by Bury_Dave Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:40 am

Ah, so it's the P90 .. or something or other ? WAY after my time thank goodness Smile

Wasn't the addition of the vertical pockets the only difference or did the re-cut the trousers too ? It was the material as much as anything I hated. Looks totally showerproof and not windproof either. I used '68 pattern and windproofs. I was a lucky lad - even if the boots, DMS with puttees was my first issue pairs, they were beter than the early pais of Boots, Combat, High-Leg. I was a fan of the German para boots.
    loski
    loski
    Captain
    Captain

Post by loski Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:54 am

Hi Dave
    I was never issued with the P85 or the P90 as I said before I had the P69 I did have an artic windproof smock with the wire removed from the hood rim I was given by an expara who served in the Falklands and wore that untill it fell apart a few years back but I was issued with the boots combat high with the zigzag tread pattern I must admit i didnt find those too bad.
    bravo_2_zero
    bravo_2_zero
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Registration date : 2009-04-16
    Number of posts : 812

Post by bravo_2_zero Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:52 pm

It's the failed soldier 94 crap in the multi print cloths. On parade troops would all have these and everyone wore a different shade even though they were all issued at the same time.

The p90 I think had boxed sewn edge pockets but no zippers on the chest. I had one of these issued to me and I added the zippers but I then was issued another as I had to turn in my home made effort.
    cairyhunt
    cairyhunt
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Name : steve
    Registration date : 2012-02-09
    Number of posts : 194

Post by cairyhunt Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:37 pm

good find mate Very Happy and cheap at a tenner
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Gary
    Registration date : 2010-06-12
    Number of posts : 3591

Post by Easy Gee Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:52 pm

Nice one Graham, I bought one back in the summer for a fiver at a carboot, equally TRF'd up.

Controversial as it would appear, I like the design and features of these 94 Jackets, but then I am more than likely going to be wearing one whilst walking about a field with my dog, rather than fighting a war in one, I also like the DDPM version too.....am I odd ,am I the only one that likes these jackets, do I need help Laughing
    kammo-man
    Major
    Major

Registration date : 2010-02-02
    Number of posts : 1086

Post by kammo-man Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:18 pm

Yes you do .

They are horrible.

owen
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3858

Post by Gulf91 Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:07 pm

I agree with Gary,love them and the trs,much much better than the S95 ripstop crap that superceeded them.

Also like Gary,not used in actual combat but I have been wearing a pair of the matching trs now for,must be 5 years plus to do various jobs around the house,various outdoor and leisure activities and love them,they are only now starting to go thin at the knees but have an unissued pair to take their place Very Happy
    loski
    loski
    Captain
    Captain

Post by loski Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:56 pm

Hi Guys
    I bought it for 2 reasons I it was cheap and it is a big size 190/120 I must say I prefer it to the bloody awful P85 I have memories of a lad wearing a set of the 85 doing a river crossing and watching as he waded ashore after the crossing and the pockets on his smock and trs coming off as he came out of the water from the weight of water in them I PMSL he didnt find it funny dont know why. I prefered the P69 kit I was issued and held onto it as long as I could only downside to the 69 was it took ages to dry out after a soaking.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 5:28 am