IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

What does mean the code who appears in the back side of USA medals ??

William_Blond
    William_Blond
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2010-09-26
    Number of posts : 74

What does mean the code who appears in the back side of USA medals ?? Empty What does mean the code who appears in the back side of USA medals ??

Post by William_Blond Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:07 pm

Hello, good afternoon !

I was wondering if you know what is the code who appears in the back side of the ribbon in USA medals.

For example, in my medals appear codes like:

- GI
    - G27
    - LIGI
    - PI-GI

And also, in a medal Vietnam service appears a symbol and GI

I was thinking, if it could be the code of the manufacturer, or if it does mean the year aprox. when the medals were done.

Thank you !

Cheers Wink
    1stDivVet
    1stDivVet
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Fins...
    Registration date : 2009-03-24
    Number of posts : 2561

What does mean the code who appears in the back side of USA medals ?? Empty Re: What does mean the code who appears in the back side of USA medals ??

Post by 1stDivVet Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:16 pm

It is both the maker's ID code and when it was made. I don't know the break down on what codes go with who or when tho. Like D22 might be from Meyer in say 1966 and V21 Vanguard from 1998. As I recal, the letter is the date code and the number the manufacturer. There's more info on it at the US Militaria Forum.

Fins...

Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2010-09-26
    Number of posts : 74

What does mean the code who appears in the back side of USA medals ?? Empty Re: What does mean the code who appears in the back side of USA medals ??

Post by William_Blond Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:48 pm

Hi 1stDivVet !

Thanks again, I think I'll take a look at the US Militaria Forum !

Cheers.
    William.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:41 am