IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

Dutch Prototype LBV?

Camonut314
    Camonut314
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Registration date : 2011-12-12
    Number of posts : 401

Dutch Prototype LBV? Empty Dutch Prototype LBV?

Post by Camonut314 Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:13 pm

I picked this up on eBay.fr a while ago thinking that it was from the 8eme RPIMA in Rwanda, operation Turquiose in 1994 (my own speculation, not the seller's), but upon closer inspection, it is very clearly Dutch in origin. The pattern looks distinctly like the Dutch DPM, there is a back panel in a course canvas material similar to the Dutch FAL pouches, and I know that the Dutch standard web equipment looks a lot like a modular version of the us LBV 88, so a version made for the Special forces makes a lot of sense.

The overall construction is very well done, the pouch flaps each have velcro and snaps, and one can "silence" the velcro with covers. Buckles are unmarked, but the slides are made by YKK- no date, though.

Any thoughts?

Dutch Prototype LBV? 2014-013
    Dutch Prototype LBV? 2014-011
    Dutch Prototype LBV? 20140712
    michelwijnand
    michelwijnand
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Name : Michel Wijnand
    Registration date : 2016-11-09
    Number of posts : 798

Dutch Prototype LBV? Empty Re: Dutch Prototype LBV?

Post by michelwijnand Tue May 26, 2020 6:11 pm

That doesn't look Dutch to me at all. When LBV's were trialled everthing was different, pouch types, materials, camo colors and shapes etc.

I'd say this is either a yet unknown commercial vest from the 90's or something from one of the many countries that used some DPM variant.
    I think it's a very cool vest though, very different than any LBV type vests I've seen before!
    Camonut314
    Camonut314
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Post by Camonut314 Wed May 27, 2020 1:33 pm

Thanks for the opinion! Forgot to update this, but I have since all but concluded this vest is of French manufacture, despite the DPM pattern. Here you can see an almost identically constructed vest (but in OD) on what is quoted to be members of the 8eme RPIMA.

Dutch Prototype LBV? 8eme_r10

Dutch Prototype LBV? 199910

Then there are these of the 1ere RPIMA in Rwanda during operation Turquiose. Harder to see, but overall a very similar construction and in either Woodland or DPM.

Dutch Prototype LBV? Rpimar10
    michelwijnand
    michelwijnand
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Name : Michel Wijnand
    Registration date : 2016-11-09
    Number of posts : 798

Post by michelwijnand Wed May 27, 2020 6:23 pm

That's very interesting, I hadn't seen those vests before on them, some really interesting vests were used in Rwanda though, also that Israeli style type, not sure what it's called
    Camonut314
    Camonut314
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Post by Camonut314 Thu May 28, 2020 1:27 pm

The Ephod? There must have been DOZENS of models of that vest used by the French SF there, both of the original Israeli design but also the French's unique, modular version. There was a movie made shortly after the mission which exhibited the Marom Dolphin style vests, but I have seen no contemporary evidence of this vest being used.

There were also Black LBV-style vests used by members of the GIGN that were there:

Dutch Prototype LBV? Gign510

Dutch Prototype LBV? Gign310

Same style here, but I believe this to be Cote d'Ivoire

Dutch Prototype LBV? Gign1310

Dutch Prototype LBV? Gign2010

And sorry if this is getting off-topic, but I think there needs to be a whole thread about the various equipment used by the French during the 1990's, just to keep track of it all!
    Camonut314
    Camonut314
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Post by Camonut314 Thu May 28, 2020 1:33 pm

Just to bring things back a bit, I have long had this photo but have always considered it to be a standard US LBV-88 in view. Considering these are purportedly members of the 2eme REP CRAP, it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility considering that they used a lot of foreign equipment, including Chicom chest rigs, standard ALICE pouches (I even have another photo of what looks like the infamous ANITE Rhodesian Chest rig in use by the unit during Op. Daguet). But I was wondering, do you think it could possibly be the vest I have (And now that I have it back, I really should take better pictures of it)?

Dutch Prototype LBV? Crapda10

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 3:23 am