IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

humped up, or just plain fake ...

ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2012-12-29
    Number of posts : 2838

humped up, or just plain fake ... Empty humped up, or just plain fake ...

Post by ripcord Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:16 pm

Howdy,

Received this DCU shirt awhile back.   Pity it seems like a put together as I don't think any member of the military would wear such a sloppily patched top.

Shirt is new, name tape has been  removed.

humped up, or just plain fake ... Bogus_13humped up, or just plain fake ... Bogus_14

humped up, or just plain fake ... Bogus_15humped up, or just plain fake ... Bogus_16

rip....
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6959

humped up, or just plain fake ... Empty Re: humped up, or just plain fake ...

Post by CollectinSteve Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:42 pm

Quick look at it and I don't see any problems with the badging in terms of violation of regulations. So in theory, this could be legitimate. The application doesn't look sloppy to me, though the thread tails certainly haven't been clipped. Given that it was never worn that's not a red flag IMHO.

Still, it is quite the clutter of stuff for a Captain. Totally possible, but rather hard to believe one guy managed to rack up all those courses successfully. Though if someone did, Special Forces would be a likely vocation for the guy.

Steve
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2012-12-29
    Number of posts : 2838

Post by ripcord Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:41 pm

Hey Steve,

Thanks for your comments,

The insignia & qual badges, if the piece is  legitimate, would not really be a red flag ( considering the  continuous re deployment of SF troops ), nor the loose threads would  be a problem.

I have DCUs And BDUs that I know are legit and still have the  loose threads.    Also have unused pieces with  laundry tags stapled to them that were probably ready to go, but never used.  

Probably due to the  changing over to new  US  camo patterns.

This  DCU is new, with tag ( under the Captain rank ).  The name tape was removed but not there long; ghosting can barely be seen.

It could have been just back from one of  the (mostly  sloppy ass ) tailor shops  that populate the  off base areas, but doubt a Captain would patronize them.

Definitely not done in the Officer's Uniform shop on base.    

In the end it is only an  opinion, but it just don't feel right.  Both the SF SSIs are too close to the tabs, and seem a bit off center, and crooked,  as does the Air Assault  badge.  :suspect

rip....
    Doc_KeystoneDiv
    Corporal
    Corporal

Name : Doc
    Registration date : 2021-10-21
    Number of posts : 23

Post by Doc_KeystoneDiv Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:07 pm

Wow super old post, but why not give a quick reply...

Looks 100% fine to me, DCUs were not really worn stateside, other than during mobilization training or de-mob. They were typically issued at a mob site, sometimes RFI'ed at various locations (like JTC/NTC), so if they were patched stateside at a civilian sew shop, quick would have been the name of the game as units would have only been at a location for a short period before moving along to the next training site or to theater. It also very well could have been done at a Haji sew shop, although the patches don't look theater made, it was no problem to take something in there and have your own patches sewn on. The quality of work done at these varied, although generally speaking Iraqis were pretty good behind a sewing machine.

I got a chuckle from your comment about an officer not being likely to go to an off base tailor shop and the existence of such a thing as an officer specific shop on base. Neither of these is true.

On base there is "clothing and sales" which is the Aafes run store that all ranks can buy uniforms, awards, etc from, and they offer sewing services but a)they are massively overpriced, and b)their turn around time is ridiculous. Everybody goes to off base tailor shops including officers of all ranks. They're cheap and quick and usually do good work, I don't know ow why you're under the impression that they're "sloppy ass"

My guess, like I said earlier, is that because DCUs were something issued for deployment and units were not at one place long, quick turn around was paramount and sew shop ladies probably worked long hours into the night to get everything done and ready for pick up, so not every job was too notch, or more likely, he took it to a haji shop and haji hadn't quite learned the ins and outs of how neat and specific AR670-1 is.

In either case, looks like an absolute legit DCU, I wouldn't think twice about it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 07, 2024 11:47 pm