Norwegian Web Gear

    Share

    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Age : 46
    Location : Wales
    Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3817

    Re: Norwegian Web Gear

    Post by Gulf91 on Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:36 pm

    Was also going to comment about the maker at least being German.

    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Age : 46
    Location : Wales
    Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3817

    Re: Norwegian Web Gear

    Post by Gulf91 on Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:37 pm

    What about both the M1943 type folding E Tools,any markings on either as I have a couple with no markings whatsoever and cannot place them as either Dutch,Belgian or Norgi maybe?
    avatar
    NorBn
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

    Location : Norway
    Registration date : 2009-02-27
    Number of posts : 280

    Re: Norwegian Web Gear

    Post by NorBn on Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:30 am

    Found these two pictures in an old army handbook from 1985 I have. It's the basic version of the web gear and just thought the drawings are cool.


    abefroman
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

    Location : USA
    Registration date : 2014-09-26
    Number of posts : 216

    Re: Norwegian Web Gear

    Post by abefroman on Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:50 pm

    NorBn wrote:Found these two pictures in an old army handbook from 1985 I have. It's the basic version of the web gear and just thought the drawings are cool.


    Very cool! It shows us the proper way to set up the web gear. Please post more, it looks as though the page on the right has some more instructions on load outs.
    avatar
    Wolverine
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

    Name : Andrew
    Location : Canada
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 862

    Re: Norwegian Web Gear

    Post by Wolverine on Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:25 pm

    Yes, these are very useful!
    avatar
    NorBn
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

    Location : Norway
    Registration date : 2009-02-27
    Number of posts : 280

    Re: Norwegian Web Gear

    Post by NorBn on Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:23 pm

    Next page is basicly a description of what goes into the smaller back pack used on patrols. The pages shown here are the more detailed ones, the other ones not so
    avatar
    Wolverine
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

    Name : Andrew
    Location : Canada
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 862

    Re: Norwegian Web Gear

    Post by Wolverine on Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:35 pm

    Thank you - this is excellent, as it shows the correct way to roll the shelter half and fasten it to the rucksack. Now just need to find the correct Norwegian mess kit.
    avatar
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

    Location : New England, US
    Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 5972

    Re: Norwegian Web Gear

    Post by CollectinSteve on Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:12 am

    Same thing for me with the shelter quarter!  I have several of these and now I know how to fold them in a way that even a Norwegian drill sergeant could respect Very Happy

    Interesting that the tent pegs, poles, and rope were not rolled into the shelter quarter. I think of that as standard practice.

    Steve

    abefroman
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

    Location : USA
    Registration date : 2014-09-26
    Number of posts : 216

    Re: Norwegian Web Gear

    Post by abefroman on Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:58 am

    Wolverine wrote:Thank you - this is excellent, as it shows the correct way to roll the shelter half and fasten it to the rucksack. Now just need to find the correct Norwegian mess kit.

    Agreed! Thanks so much! Interesting how they show to put the mags in the jacket pockets. I guess that was standard among many European armies at that time. Now I just need to find those lift the tab ammo pouches!!
    avatar
    NorBn
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

    Location : Norway
    Registration date : 2009-02-27
    Number of posts : 280

    Re: Norwegian Web Gear

    Post by NorBn on Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:32 pm

    Glad you like it, the illustration says that any empty magazines goes into right the pocket of the field jacket, the left was for the hood and protective gloves used in case of a gas attack. We also carried what was called a "nuclear brush" that we should use to remove the dust covering the uniform after a nuclear attack Very Happy Very Happy Usually this was used for brushing off snow on the uniform, tents and other items.
    avatar
    NorBn
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

    Location : Norway
    Registration date : 2009-02-27
    Number of posts : 280

    Re: Norwegian Web Gear

    Post by NorBn on Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:55 pm

    The famous "nuclear brush", a must in the Norwegian military during the Cold War
    avatar
    Wolverine
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

    Name : Andrew
    Location : Canada
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 862

    Re: Norwegian Web Gear

    Post by Wolverine on Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:16 am

    Also with the Canadian Forces too - the 1964 pattern webbing had no FN C1 rifle magazine pouches - the were to be carried in the combat jacket pockets.

    abefroman wrote:
    Wolverine wrote:Thank you - this is excellent, as it shows the correct way to roll the shelter half and fasten it to the rucksack. Now just need to find the correct Norwegian mess kit.

    Agreed! Thanks so much! Interesting how they show to put the mags in the jacket pockets. I guess that was standard among many European armies at that time. Now I just need to find those lift the tab ammo pouches!!
    avatar
    Wolverine
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

    Name : Andrew
    Location : Canada
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 862

    Re: Norwegian Web Gear

    Post by Wolverine on Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:18 am

    Very neat - I will need to find one to complete my kit.

    NorBn wrote:The famous "nuclear brush", a must in the Norwegian military during the Cold War
    avatar
    fallout
    Corporal
    Corporal

    Name : Luke
    Age : 20
    Location : USA
    Registration date : 2015-01-13
    Number of posts : 33

    Re: Norwegian Web Gear

    Post by fallout on Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:54 pm

    Wow nice set up, I really need to find them but I can never find Norwegian stuff. I do have some photos though so here they are.

    ^1986

    ^1988

    ^November 25th 1983

    ^no exact date but 80s

    ^1982

    ^1983

    ^1983

    ^1984

    ^1986

    ^1986

    ^1986

    ^1986

    ^1986

    ^1986

    ^1987

    ^1987

    ^1989
    avatar
    fallout
    Corporal
    Corporal

    Name : Luke
    Age : 20
    Location : USA
    Registration date : 2015-01-13
    Number of posts : 33

    Re: Norwegian Web Gear

    Post by fallout on Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:00 pm


    ^1986 or 87

    ^1986 or 87

    ^80s

    ^1980

    ^1980

    ^December 12th 1983

    ^80s

    abefroman
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

    Location : USA
    Registration date : 2014-09-26
    Number of posts : 216

    Re: Norwegian Web Gear

    Post by abefroman on Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:48 pm

    Great pics thanks!
    avatar
    fallout
    Corporal
    Corporal

    Name : Luke
    Age : 20
    Location : USA
    Registration date : 2015-01-13
    Number of posts : 33

    Re: Norwegian Web Gear

    Post by fallout on Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:07 pm

    NorBn wrote:Found these two pictures in an old army handbook from 1985 I have. It's the basic version of the web gear and just thought the drawings are cool.

    Can you take a picture of the cover? Or can you tell me the name? I would like to get one.
    avatar
    Wolverine
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

    Name : Andrew
    Location : Canada
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 862

    Re: Norwegian Web Gear

    Post by Wolverine on Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:14 pm

    Gulf91 wrote:What about both the M1943 type folding E Tools,any markings on either as I have a couple with no markings whatsoever and cannot place them as either Dutch,Belgian or Norgi maybe?

    My Norwegian M1943 type shovels have no markings, although some US manufactured ones can probably be found in Norwegian surplus.

    B.M.F
    Corporal
    Corporal

    Location : Norway
    Registration date : 2015-09-17
    Number of posts : 22

    Re: Norwegian Web Gear

    Post by B.M.F on Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:57 am

    Hi guys.

    My name is Bernt, this is my first post here. Looks like an interesting forum.
    I collect mainly cold war era Homeguard gear, but I also have some older norwegian militaria.
    In Norway few collectors care much for the post war stuff.

    What is the best way to post pics. on this forum?

    Wolverine: I've read somewere that the unmarked folding showels were made in Belgium or Holland. I don't think any were made in Norway. You can also find US marked ones and the german "Klappspaten 38" among the surplus. All painted in the same olive green. I have one marked "US Ames 1945", two germans marked 1941, and two straight showels of unknow origin, also painted olive green. The hangers are mostly US, but norwegian made ones are around as well. When I was in the army in the mid 90's, most of us got the old e-tools with the wooden handles. They were a P.I.T.A when running etc. We used to break them as often as we could, in hope of getting the "new" all metal showel.

    Fallout: That's some interesting pics. Some of them are from the Vassdalen tragedy in 1986. 16 norwegian soldiers were killed by an avalanche during the Nato exercise Anchor express.
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0165232X88900602
    http://tsforum.event123.no/nkvts/2009/pop.cfm?FuseAction=Doc&pAction=View&pDocumentId=20954

    Here's some more links with footage and pics.

    This is from an Airforce NCO school. Tons of pics. to be found in the menue to the left.
    http://www.lutvatnskolene.com/48182289
    http://www.lutvatnskolene.com/48182294

    Here's loads of pics. from ww2 through the cold war. Also some captions in english.
    http://www.spycom.org/

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmR3625evTU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqU2M9ScC74
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvUfMNT2zlY
    avatar
    Wolverine
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

    Name : Andrew
    Location : Canada
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 862

    Re: Norwegian Web Gear

    Post by Wolverine on Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:55 am

    Thanks for the feedback B.M.F., and for the great links!

    abefroman
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

    Location : USA
    Registration date : 2014-09-26
    Number of posts : 216

    Re: Norwegian Web Gear

    Post by abefroman on Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:10 pm

    B.M.F wrote:Hi guys.
    What is the best way to post pics. on this forum?


    HI BMF, would love to see some of your gear, or if you are you are selling?

    Anyone the easiest way to post is it to click the button with the floppy disk up above here. Then browse for your photo, click upload, wait a few seconds and it will show you 3 links. Copy and paste the middle link into the forum and you should be good to go. Let me know if you have any trouble.

    B.M.F
    Corporal
    Corporal

    Location : Norway
    Registration date : 2015-09-17
    Number of posts : 22

    Re: Norwegian Web Gear

    Post by B.M.F on Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:21 pm

    Let's try with a pic. of some of my Homeguard stuff.

    Allright. It works!

    avatar
    Wolverine
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

    Name : Andrew
    Location : Canada
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 862

    Re: Norwegian Web Gear

    Post by Wolverine on Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:41 pm

    Super cool gear! Do the K-98 pouches have any Norwegian markings added to them?


    B.M.F wrote:Let's try with a pic. of some of my Homeguard stuff.

    Allright. It works!


    B.M.F
    Corporal
    Corporal

    Location : Norway
    Registration date : 2015-09-17
    Number of posts : 22

    Re: Norwegian Web Gear

    Post by B.M.F on Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:05 am

    None of the K98K pouches I've seen or heard of, have any norwegian markings. But some can exist though. You can find various US, British, german (zeltbahns etc..), swedish etc.. ww2 gear and uniforms with postwar norwegian markings in them. Usually a rectangular box with the word "HÆREN", meaning "THE ARMY". Some are marked "HEIMEVERNET" or "HV" for the Homeguard. I've also seen a pair of ww2 german Wachtstiefeln marked "KYSTARTILLERIET" (Coastal artillery).

    Some comments to some above posts:

    The missing canteen in one of the pics: During winter excersises we used to keep the canteen under the jacket. It hung in a string around the neck. This was to keep the water from freezing. We would refill with snow, but it took the whole day to melt.

    The drawings from "Soldaten i felt" shows to put the empty magazines in the pocket. The way it was done on battle excersises, was to keep the zipper on the jacket half way open, and just stuff the empty mags inside.

    Here's the 1960 edt. of this book: http://www.scribd.com/doc/140837179/Soldaten-i-felt-1963-UD-17-2

    1985 edt., but look like a poor xerox copy: http://documents.tips/documents/ud-17-02-soldaten-i-felt.html

    avatar
    Wolverine
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

    Name : Andrew
    Location : Canada
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 862

    Re: Norwegian Web Gear

    Post by Wolverine on Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:57 pm

    Thank you for sharing these bits of information - it is fascinating that so many different types of equipment were recycled by the Norwegian forces after 1945.

    Also, the links for the books are extremely useful! Thanks again for sharing these.

    B.M.F wrote:None of the K98K pouches I've seen or heard of, have any norwegian markings. But some can exist though. You can find various US, British, german (zeltbahns etc..), swedish etc.. ww2 gear and uniforms with postwar norwegian markings in them. Usually a rectangular box with the word "HÆREN", meaning "THE ARMY". Some are marked "HEIMEVERNET" or "HV" for the Homeguard. I've also seen a pair of ww2 german Wachtstiefeln marked "KYSTARTILLERIET" (Coastal artillery).

    Some comments to some above posts:

    The missing canteen in one of the pics: During winter excersises we used to keep the canteen under the jacket. It hung in a string around the neck. This was to keep the water from freezing. We would refill with snow, but it took the whole day to melt.

    The drawings from "Soldaten i felt" shows to put the empty magazines in the pocket. The way it was done on battle excersises, was to keep the zipper on the jacket half way open, and just stuff the empty mags inside.

    Here's the 1960 edt. of this book: http://www.scribd.com/doc/140837179/Soldaten-i-felt-1963-UD-17-2

    1985 edt., but look like a poor xerox copy: http://documents.tips/documents/ud-17-02-soldaten-i-felt.html


    Sponsored content

    Re: Norwegian Web Gear

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:22 am