IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Question about italian woodland camo

Mellon
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2016-04-16
    Number of posts : 34

Question about italian woodland camo Empty Question about italian woodland camo

Post by Mellon Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:26 pm

Hi everyone.

Does somebody knows the real name of the italian Woodland uniform?

I saw sometime Uniforme Da Combattimento Policroma mod 92 and I wonder if it is the normal appellation.

Thanks.

Best Regards

Mellon

-Jäger-
    -Jäger-
    Corporal
    Corporal

Name : Stefano
    Registration date : 2016-02-12
    Number of posts : 23

Question about italian woodland camo Empty Re: Question about italian woodland camo

Post by -Jäger- Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:29 pm

HI!

Hope my answer will be still useful to you.

You're right! That's the right name.
    Also the desert-type uniform was called with the same id. so they used to call it "Somalia" by its largest use during Restore Hope
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6888

Question about italian woodland camo Empty Re: Question about italian woodland camo

Post by CollectinSteve Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:54 pm

Correct, but let's not forget that there is M90 and M92 for both woodland and desert. I presume the earlier M90 was called Uniforme Da Combattimento Policroma mod 90?

The major difference is the M90 jacket has no arm pockets, the M92 has a pocket on each sleeve. The chest of the M92 also has a horizontal loop on the right breast. IIRC the trousers are the same.

Steve
    -Jäger-
    -Jäger-
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by -Jäger- Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:24 am

Hi Steve!

You're right! I forgot that.

I believe you mean this, don't you?
    Question about italian woodland camo 33oqvq10
    Question about italian woodland camo 2qkp8410

Never undestand what is its real name, I know it was used by paras troops for a few years

Question about italian woodland camo 22814110
    Question about italian woodland camo Df0510

(PS: firsrt pic: they are the "Squadrone Eliportato Carabinieri Cacciatori", a Carabinieri's anti-mafia corp. Second pic: col moschin)

Happy Easter to all! Very Happy
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:13 am

No, that's the airborne uniform. I think it is M87.

Hmm. Maybe there is no M90 Woodland after all? I checked my collection and I don't seem to have one.

For desert, however, there absolutely is a M90. It is identical to the M92 except it has no pockets on the sleeves and no loop over the right breast. Maybe some other minor differences in the jackets. I think the trousers are the same except that for M90 the pockets are closed with hidden buttons and for M92 it is velcro.

Steve
    -Jäger-
    -Jäger-
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by -Jäger- Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:39 am

AAAWW Yes!

I've already heard something like this but I don't know other... even the correct name.

Yes, the one in my pics was only for paratroops units and only used for a few years.
    If it will be useful they sometimes use to call it "Monteromano", wich is the name of a place where they used to do trainings... but never understood the link...

Greetings
    Haydamaka
    Haydamaka
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Andy
    Number of posts : 2687

Post by Haydamaka Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:27 pm

-Jäger- wrote:
    Question about italian woodland camo 33oqvq10

Hi!
    How do you think - was there any influence of the Swiss jacket cut (breast pockets with slash zippers) and left sleeve zippered pocket??
    Haydamaka
    Haydamaka
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Haydamaka Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:40 pm

Question about italian woodland camo 11077110

The shape of the Swiss-style pockets can be seen on the pic above.

Border guards have both such chest pockets of the same shape, not only one on the right side, as army have.
    -Jäger-
    -Jäger-
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by -Jäger- Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:05 pm

Intersting observation!

I don't know much about swiss uniforms but notice that the italian one wich you indicates was introduced in late'80s / 1990

Stefano
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:43 pm

Good observation! I like the theory, but in reverse. I think the Swiss uniform was influenced by the Italian *or* both were influenced by something else. The construction is very similar, but the Italian uniform came first so definitely not Italians copying the Swiss.

Steve
    -Jäger-
    -Jäger-
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by -Jäger- Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:28 am

I agree!
    Haydamaka
    Haydamaka
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Haydamaka Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:17 pm

Steve, Stefano,
    Thank you for your comments!

I agree with you both, with mutual influence of the ideas, and that Italians are recognized designers of numerous very interesting ideas and concepts!
    Haydamaka
    Haydamaka
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Haydamaka Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:25 am

Swiss Grenzwache jacket... One can see the chest pockets, which look similar to the Italian M92 jacket:

Question about italian woodland camo Img_2011

Question about italian woodland camo Img_2010
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:50 pm

The design of these zippered pockets goes back to at least the 1950s with the Bundeswehr airborne Splinter uniform.

Question about italian woodland camo Dsc04710

There are others who have used this type of pocket design, or something similar. Look at Danish M84 for example. Certainly the 1950s/1960s Spanish airborne uniforms since they are nearly direct copies.

Looking at this again, it seems the design influences are much older than the Italian 1980s airborne uniform. However, the specific details of the Swiss pocket construction match pretty closely to the specific design of the Italian pockets, which is slightly different from things like the Bundeswehr Splinter uniform. So I think it's still a good idea to think that the Swiss uniform was influenced by the Italian uniform, but the Italian uniform was influenced by others before it.

Steve
    Haydamaka
    Haydamaka
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Haydamaka Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:22 pm

Thank you, Steve for sharing your thouhts and ideas - I definitely agree.

I wear the Swiss Grenzwache jacket as a casual wear, and in my opinion such definite shaped pockets are quite comfortable in use.

Besides, I have almost the same jacket with the same shaped pockets and the same cut, but black in color, with velcro-fastened hidden light-reflecting
    "POLICE" (yes, in English) patch on the backside.

This fact shows that the chest-pockets of such shape are used not only in the Swiss armed forces, but at least by Boarder Guards and some police squads.
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:12 pm

Yup, it's pretty common for law enforcement uniforms showing influence from military uniforms. In your case, the Swiss police jacket also has the straps to secure to the trousers, just like the Swiss uniforms since the 1980s. That's a very unusual feature!

Steve

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:38 am