TennoHeikaNate
    Corporal
    Corporal

Name : Nate
    Registration date : 2013-10-16
    Number of posts : 62

My ROK Stuff

Post by TennoHeikaNate on Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:13 am

I've acquired a few ROK uniform items over the years, some are sadly incomplete but I'm slowly trying to acquire shirts and trousers and hopefully caps to complete them.

First off is a unique Navy "leaf" based pattern. I believe this particular model was a commercial/private purchase. It is badged to Petty Officer 2nd Class Lee of the ROK Navy Reserve.

Next up is some woodland, a standard "ball" style cap with a reserve patch on it and a normal pair of BDU trousers, dated 1995.

Here is an M43 style field jacket with a ROKMC emblem, from the Vietnam era.

Next is actually an unknown, this is a "noodle" camouflage shirt that the seller told me was an export model, but was unsure to which country.
    Many South Korean items were exported to many countries so it is difficult to ID them, especially this as it does not have any tags or stamps, or remnants of any having been on.

Another noodle shirt, dated 1979 and badged to a Special Forces Sgt. Yang, airborne qualification as well.

Next, a fairly rare ROKMC pattern called "puzzle" or sometimes "jigsaw" or "leopard". It was allegedly introduced in the mid-70's and quickly replaced by 1980 by the "turtle shell" pattern.
    This one is dated 1976 and sadly had the insignia removed.

Here we have a "turtle shell" M65, which replaced the previous puzzle camo. I've noticed ROK veterans, particularly Marines, often embellish and embroider their old uniforms and wear them often.
    I've had difficulty finding "issue" turtle shell, as most I find are often embellished and do not have the issue nomenclature tags.
    I don't know if there are commercial reproductions that are sold and are purchased by veterans who then take them to tailors or what.
    I do know the red name tags are actually issue, and the Recon patch is also issue, but the rest is "iffy" to me.

A desert shirt in the ROK's own desert pattern for those deployed to Afghanistan. This one is named to Cpl. Moon.
    I've also seen ROK SWC use a digital version of this, of which I've only seen one uniform for sale before, and it sold for a lot.

Here is a shirt in the current issue Army, Navy, and Air Force pattern introduced in 2010 called "Granite B".
    This one is badged to Artilleryman Cpl. Lee of the ROKA 5th Corps. Dated 2012.
    If anyone has any knowledge of other trial patterns like a Granite A or Granite C, I'd love to see it.

The ROKMC in 2010 adopted a digital tiger stripe pattern. From what I've heard from Korean friends it is nicknamed "Waves" or "WAVEPAT"
    This one is also dated 2012 and is named to PFC Song.
    The pattern also strangely has two occurrences of the ROKMC EGA hidden in the pattern, a small one in the tanish color and a larger one in black, which you might be able to see

Prior to the regular armed forces getting digital, the ROK Special Warfare Command (SWC) adopted this greenish MARPAT look-alike in 2006.
    These trousers are dated 2009. I got these from a Thai seller who had a small lot of them back around 2010, and they all had red paint on them along with the matching jackets he had.
    Whether this was a way of demilling them, I don't know, because all ones I see today do not have the red paint marks.

This was the most curious ROK piece I've found besides the possible export shirt.
    It is an MA-1 style reversible jacket in noodle and dark blue. I've seen these before, all with the ROK Armor patch on them.
    From what I've heard noodle was only issued to special forces, which leads me to believe that these were for maybe recon armor units?
    I have also seen matching noodle tanker coveralls with armor insignia but sadly I didn't manage to grab any and them seem to have dried up pretty hard.

I wasn't sure if I'd put these in the US section or here, but I might as well both.
    Here are some South Korean made jungle boots in noodle camo, from what I've gathered they were possibly for some of the USSF advisers stationed in Korea in the 70's.
    They were brand new, unissued in wax paper when I got them. I will post all the photos I have of US advisers wearing US badged noodle uniforms as well.
    However, I've yet to find any photos of either ROK or US special forces wearing these.

I've got more items to acquire soon, until then, enjoy!
    Any feedback/corrections/comments are greatly welcome as well, please let me know if I messed up any info.

And of course, reference photos!
    I will try to order them by pattern/uniform/era but some may be random, I apologize beforehand for this.

This was the only photo of the puzzle pattern I was able to find of it in use.
    Hard to find even in photos it would seem.

Advisers:

And the only photo of the noodle tanker jacket being worn I could find:

Enjoy!
    -Nate
    tlundberg1
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Registration date : 2014-04-03
    Number of posts : 245

Re: My ROK Stuff

Post by tlundberg1 on Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:45 pm

Great posting! I like how you included both items from your collection and many excellent in-use photos.
    ripcord
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Registration date : 2012-12-29
    Number of posts : 1779

Post by ripcord on Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:36 pm

Great subject.

Nice how you showed the evolution of ROK uniforms.

S

jason11
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2012-06-03
    Number of posts : 24

Post by jason11 on Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:07 am

Actually Kookmin University Military clothing research lab made
    (ROK DOD commissioned a study into Developing New camouflage patterns to this lab)
    6 patterns for "New camouflage pattern development project" (I'll post each 6 patterns later)
    but only 3 patterns were field tested and here are photos during field test (2008~2009).

Pinetree pattern.

"The initial" Granite Pattern(referred to as Granite A)

Rock Texture Pattern.

After field test ,
    They decided to choose Granite pattern(The most loved pattern among soldiers) but Color hue is too bright to Autumn season and Urban areas.(especially Army soldiers claimed about this) So they developed another varient- 'Granite B' (Yes. it's current camouflage) and adopted as "New camouflage Pattern"

CaptainForrest
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Registration date : 2015-06-21
    Number of posts : 84

Post by CaptainForrest on Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:24 am

looking at all the pictures i dont see the south korean digital desert camo that i see on camopedia?
    TennoHeikaNate
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by TennoHeikaNate on Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:41 am

Thanks guys, and thank you Jason for those photos, I've never seen the trial patterns before.
    And Forrest I had difficulty finding any of them being worn that weren't from that TV show, but there was another thread somewhere on the South Korea board that had a few photos if you can find it.
    I've only seen one set of it for sale before, and it went for almost a couple hundred if I recall.
    Neat looking stuff though, but my soft spot is for chocolate chip!

CaptainForrest
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by CaptainForrest on Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:28 pm

i see so its more of a tv show camo lol. this is what camopedia shows i dont know if thats part of the show or not?

i have 1 rok granite b camo but fits like an xtra large so kinda big on me still looking for there marpat in my size seen there rain jackets and vests before

CaptainForrest
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by CaptainForrest on Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:23 pm

jason11
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by jason11 on Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:56 pm

It's chinese made fake
    ROK Desert digital camo is really popular among  chinese people
    due to famous korean TV show "descendants of the sun" aired 2016.
    that show was very popular in china.
    and most people want to dress up like  fictional character  Capt. "YOO SI JIN"
    so they made some fake uniforms for costume.

They really love this uniform!  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy

TV show still cut

Now Fake uniform photo (which is 100% pattern listed on ebay )

See his name tab -"YOO SI JIN"

Left TV show camo(Fabric is genuine but still TV show prop) , Right Chinese made Fake.

JUST BEWARE.

Camo-collector1951
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Name : JIM
    Registration date : 2017-02-03
    Number of posts : 147

Post by Camo-collector1951 on Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:53 am

That's a great reference thread. good pics of Vietnam era uniforms as well. Jim.

CaptainForrest
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by CaptainForrest on Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:04 pm

jason11 wrote:It's chinese made fake
    ROK Desert digital camo is really popular among  chinese people
    due to famous korean TV show "descendants of the sun" aired 2016.
    that show was very popular in china.
    and most people want to dress up like  fictional character  Capt. "YOO SI JIN"
    so they made some fake uniforms for costume.

They really love this uniform!  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy

TV show still cut

Now Fake uniform photo (which is 100% pattern listed on ebay )

See his name tab -"YOO SI JIN"

Left TV show camo(Fabric is genuine but still TV show prop) , Right Chinese made Fake.

JUST BEWARE.

when buying south korean marpat or granite camo should i be worried about fakes im looking at one and the tag looks like this

TennoHeikaNate
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by TennoHeikaNate on Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:41 pm

I believe the ones with those tags are commercially available private purchase uniforms. There was a thread talking about them somewhere regarding the earlier patterns like the ROK desert, and the differences between the issue and commercial with stuff like velcro or button closures.

The tags on my Granite and ROK MARPAT both have the ROKA emblem and the year of manufacture on them.

CaptainForrest
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by CaptainForrest on Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:02 pm

TennoHeikaNate wrote:I believe the ones with those tags are commercially available private purchase uniforms. There was a thread talking about them somewhere regarding the earlier patterns like the ROK desert, and the differences between the issue and commercial with stuff like velcro or button closures.

The tags on my Granite and ROK MARPAT both have the ROKA emblem and the year of manufacture on them.

should i go for it or pass?

jason11
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by jason11 on Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:17 am

There are 2 types of uniforms you can see on ebay.

Government issued uniforms -white label with manufacturing date and ROK DOD symbol printed.

Private purchased uniforms- just tailor's label.

in this case HL (HEELIM) label is good to go. HEELIM is one of famous tailor shops in korea.

ROK soldiers can keep their uniforms when ETS-ing from military. -except special forces soldiers.
    and most of soldiers thow their uniform to dumpsters after discharge.
    and These 'Rags' gathered by junk shop owners. and export to rag mills in Thailand.
    That's reason why you can esily find ROK uniforms on ebay.
    ( and yes, we also have 600,000 soldiers.)

but special force soldiers (ARMY SWC NAVY UDT etc...) can't keep their uniforms.
    Gov't issued uniforms must be turned-in when ETS-ing.
    and they spraying paint to uniform.(you can see red-sprayed ROK SWC uniforms) sold to rag mills or incinerate
    And if you lose your issued uniform - you'll have to write 5 page report to get new one.  Mad

That's reason why Most special force soldiers using private purchased uniform.-more fit to their body and no worries.

and you can see Private purchased unforms listed more often than Gov't issued ones.
    vonstuck
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2010-03-30
    Number of posts : 2633

Post by vonstuck on Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:27 pm

Thank you for your explain
    Gilles

CaptainForrest
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by CaptainForrest on Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:41 pm

well i could not win the bid on the korean marpat since someone had an auto bid on it. but if thats a chinese made fake how come i don't see a lot for sale? what is the most to spend on something like that

jason11
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by jason11 on Fri May 19, 2017 1:36 pm

Another fake camo uniforms... You can find these fake uniforms at Flea market in Beijing or Shanghai

just be careful guys

CaptainForrest
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by CaptainForrest on Fri May 19, 2017 5:20 pm

id still like to have one of those though if its from a movie Wink

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content