IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns

TennoHeikaNate
    TennoHeikaNate
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Name : Nate
    Registration date : 2013-10-16
    Number of posts : 331

JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns Empty JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns

Post by TennoHeikaNate Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:50 am

While on my neverending hunt for addition information regarding Japanese patterns, I stumbled onto a small goldmine of Japanese forum and blogposts of collections and information regarding some of the patterns the JSDF has trialed and considered since the 1960's, as well as some of the developmental history of some of the patterns they did.
    Please note this is not meant to be conveyed as my own research, only my attempt to translate and pass along the information these other Japanese collectors have discovered for the English speaking collector crowd. Speculation is aplenty for these items as photographs and surviving historical examples are near non-existant so a large amount of guesswork and conclusions have to be drawn to fill some gaps. I will also add some of my own speculation where applicable, and I will update this thread as I find more information, and obviously anyone else's info, speculation, and input is welcome here as well.
    I will be updating the article (https://www.kommandoblog.com/2019/02/14/history-of-jsdf-camo-patterns/) that myself and fellow user Zedthefed created awhile back as it was already outdated just a few months after posting with some of this information as well, but this post on this forum will be my primary deposit for information that I find.

I suppose I will start as chronologically as I can, I will also add links to to the posts where I found this information as I can, although some have been difficult to re-find and will probably need to be added in later posts as I find them.

Firstly, we will start with what *appears* to be the oldest example. This information comes from https://bassner.militaryblog.jp/d2012-10.html
    This is a strange hooded, zip front, four snap pocket, elastic cuffed, and drawstring hem and waist cut jacket in a pattern that resembles German Sumpftarn/Sumpfmuster. The text mentions it being a one of a kind, and there's no other references to it I can find. Appears to be from the early 60's, possibly even 50's. Due to the small scale and poorer quality of this single photo and existing example it's hard to make out more exact details. There's no info on testing dates, range/extent of use of testing, or mentions of markings like tags or stamps. As it stands it is a "potential experimental JSDF pattern" that I will call Japanese Sumpftarn.

JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns Anothe10

Secondly is this intriguing photograph from what seems to be the mid 60's of member wearing French lizard. Only this photo of this occurrence exists, and there' no known examples of any "Japanese Lizard" in collectors hands at this time. I can't read the armband he wears, but he wears a Fang Type 65 cap, placing it at 1965 at the earliest possible date. The uniform also appears to be an original French uniform rather than a Japanese made one, as it is nothing like any JSDF uniforms of that era that I've seen. He appears to have added a button to the shoulder to secure his armband. As for speculation, there's multiple possibilities as to the origins. He could be a JSDF OPFOR/Aggressor Forces member wearing it as an early OPFOR uniform, he could be an observer in France or during a French visit, or they could have purchased or came across it and trialed it as a new potential pattern for their forces. Any another ideas or speculation are greatly welcome of course.
    This particular photo came from a Twitter post but has been passed around several Japanese collector forums and blogs, although this one was the best quality I could find.
    The captions and conversation (not on the actual photo) said,
    "Image (of course picked up) that came out with SDF Tiger pattern, if you think something, the back view of famous M (not seen recently) of Nakata Shoten (under the guard) who came to visit."
    "I heard that in the old days, the 14th Anne of the Kanazawa Regiment came to the French Lizard outerwear and went to practice in the old camouflage era. It seems to have been written in a magazine."
    "A camouflage of the early experiments, very mysterious, has only flown out of this photo."

JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns Image_11

You may have read and gotten excited at the previous mention of "SDF Tiger pattern". This is easily the most incredible information I've come across as far as JSDF patterns go. In the early 1960's, Japan trialed a few different tiger stripe uniforms to use for their armed forces. There were several different types in different cuts, however most appear to have been, or were close to, the regular Type 65 uniform cut. Almost all surviving examples are heavily faded and worn so the original colors are hard to determine.
    Now, I'm no expert in tiger stripe patterns or families, so I have no idea if these patterns are the Japanese' original designs or reusing existing patterns but in new colorations and cuts dedicated to the JSDF. Apparently one of them is the same as one of the tiger patterns that Taiwan was utilizing at the time.
    Since Japan was making and tailoring tiger stripe uniforms for US servicemen in Vietnam at that era, as well as tiger stripe being at it's height in popularity at the time, it makes perfect sense that Japan also considered it for themselves. As to how, when, and why it was not accepted is unknown though. Whether they found it ineffective for their Hokkaido-defense strategy, didn't want to be mistaken for US, Vietnamese, or Taiwanese troops, or they simply thought Fang or other patterns would suit them better, they apparently ended their trials for it sometime in the mid to late 60's, after Fang had been adopted.
    Most annoyingly, many posts mention existing photographs of JSDF members wearing these trial tiger stripe uniforms but none have been posted or shared that I can find. I am currently fervorusly searching for them and will share them once they are found.

Here's the first photos and example I came across of it, from @yamasannsou (https://twitter.com/yamasannsou/status/630371068008501249).
    Definite evidence of insignia having been attached, and it's in the normal Type 65 cut.
    The caption for it was "Self-Defense Force tiger camouflage clothing, the back side is khaki, made in 1965 with 50% cotton 50% vinylon fabric each time, the shape is the same as the old OD work clothes."
    The date I found interesting as that was the year Fang was allegedly adopted. Additionally, it appears to have some loops sewn onto the trousers legs, there are or were possibly buttons on them to slim down the legs.

JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns A_camo11
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns A_camo12
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns Self-d10
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns Self-d11
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns Self-d12
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns Self-d13

Next is this example in a different cut, also with government tags. The pattern also appears to be a different type and coloration although I don't know for sure as I'm bad at telling tiger patterns apart.
    It definietely looks to be a Vietnamese type though. It is very close a a Type 65 type cut, but with some differences including patch-type elbow reinforcements, the pocket flaps being exposed-snap closed with sharper points, no button cuffs, zip cuffs/forearms, and a straight box hem at the front rather than the rounded ones of the Type 65. The tag retains the Sakura Q marking but no date.

JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns Trial_11
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns Trial_10
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns Trial_12

Here in a display of JSDF uniforms, you can see a trousers belt in the pattern.
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns If_you10

I translated one Twitter post's conversation about it, here's what they said:
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns Trial_13

One Japanese collector/blogger has been working on researching and reproducing these Japanese tiger stripe uniforms. You can find his personal blog page and Twitter profile here documenting his progress and research: https://lalaselfmadeatelier.militaryblog.jp/?tab=list
    https://twitter.com/Lala_sub_depot
    According to him and some other collectors, there were a few different types of uniform and tiger pattern that were trialed, which he named after the manufacturer's on the tags of surviving examples.
    Here's what he said, found here: https://lalaselfmadeatelier.militaryblog.jp/e936731.html

"It’s “four pockets” that I’m talking about SDF Tiger. Self-Defense Forces comparatively dangerous ww in the obsession to Tiger

Well, this time we will summarize briefly the consideration of my personal for the Self-Defense Forces Tiger. First of all, if you write it down, it's just an individual consideration and not 100% correct. Think about half of the story, based on stories you hear from people, remaining photos, and other clothes that existed at the same time.

Recently, the presence of the SDF Tiger has been recognized for some reason, and it seems that some people are attracting attention. I have heard several stories about wanting to make a replica, and I am thrilled that it has become quite interesting. Although replica stories have always existed, they are usually packed with dough. I want a perfect replica, except for the material of the fabric ...

There are several types of SDF tigers ... There are many things that are not well understood, but let's organize it a little. Depending on the supplier and the place of production, you can call it “XX Tiger camouflage clothes”, but it seems to be long, so give it a name. Please note that it is not an official name but an nickname

The SDF tiger that is often mentioned is a tiger camouflage clothing in the form of OD work clothes that was used in the Eastern area. The manufacturer of this camouflage garment is known to be Marubeni from existing photographs. Therefore, we will call it “Marubeni Tiger”.
    Next, the tiger camouflage uniform worn by the members in the parade photo of the Northern District. This is considered to be the same as the Tiger camouflage clothing that Taiwan has because of its pocket and sleeve characteristics. This camouflage outfit has “Kitadokoro Production” on the tag, so let’s call it “Kitadokoro Tiger”.
    And "Matsudo Tiger" I often hear. It is a tiger camouflage dress at Matsudo Supply Center, but details will be given later. Let's supplement these famous places.

First, regarding Marubeni Tiger, it was said that it had been used in the Eastern Area area as described above. Because it is shaped like OD work clothes, this is what many people think of as the SDF Tiger. Precisely, it is thought that the work is made by cutting the work clothes (modified) from the silhouette rather than the base of what is commonly called OD work clothes. It would be a reasonable decision considering the time and characteristics of Marubeni Tiger.
    If you are going to make a replica of Marubeni Tiger, you will have to base it on work clothes (improved), so the hurdle will be quite high.

Next, the North Tiger. It is a camouflage clothing that has the characteristics of the early air clothes such as sewing of shoulder boards and elbow pads. However, it seems that there was an OD work uniform that was close to this (← I knew it today). Like Marubeni Tiger, it seems that there was a base work clothes, but it is ambiguous because there is too little information on the prototype. There is a product made in the north, and there is a possibility that it is an original in the north supply (or more likely).

Matsudo Tiger is a camouflage uniform that was in the Matsudo Supply Center. Certainly, at an event someday, I heard that Matsudo had tiger camouflage clothes. However, the shape is unknown and I have never seen any photos. In terms of area, it is covered with the Marubeni Tiger trial area, and it may be the same. On the other hand, the possibility of being an original (supplement shop special) of Matsudo Supply Shop cannot be thrown away. In fact, the Northern Supply Shop made tiger camouflage clothes that are different from Marubeni Tiger, and Matsudo makes custom-sized work clothes. There may also be a possibility of making it independently at Matsudo.

Lastly, there was a tiger camouflage outfit for the old work clothes. It is a story that the shape was the old work clothes (a guy like a 43 jacket), but considering the time when research on tiger camouflage clothes began, there is a possibility that it existed. I don't know which type of old work clothes, but there

are several types and there may be some mess. It may not be necessary to determine exactly, but it is like this if it is divided. Anyway, please do your best if you are trying to make a replica.
    Depending on how it was reproduced, there was a little interest ... (laughs)
    Last but not least, I would like to thank everyone who has read so far. See you soon."

This has been the most interesting find I've come across in quite awhile and I'm following it closely to try to find more examples and hopefully those damned photographs of it in use.
    Continuing on, to supplement info I found and posted in my article, I appear to have been incorrect in my assumptions of the origins of Fang. From what I've found, it was adopted allegedly in 1965, about a whole decade earlier than I previously though, and went through several variations and colorations since its inception.
    This information largely comes from Twitter user CONDUCTOR @yhashi6894229 and https://rekiji.militaryblog.jp/
    This photograph I posted back in my other post but thought could use more attention. Although it appears to have been oddly exposed and/or damaged, you can clearly see at least three JSDF members wearing some allegedly experimental camouflage. The appearance of the pattern and colors of the photo remind me of the Yugoslavian mountain pattern, but there's no know info about it or surviving examples.

JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns Experi11

This strange Fang relative is from the collection of http://kimamanin2.livedoor.blog/archives/1694255.html. It is tagged as a PX purchase item but has a sakura zipper. No photos or other known examples.
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns Unknow16
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns Unknow17
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns Unknow18
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns Unknow19
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns Unknow20

These winter trousers and some rucksacks are the only known items in this strange variant of Fang in a vertical orientation with shapes similar to those found on the early Nepalese fang patterns.
    When and where they were used, how long they were used or tested is unknown. They may also be connected to Nepal, possibly an early export item for Nepal or influenced from the Nepalese variations for themselves. Cannot find photos of the rucksacks at the moment.

JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns Vertic10

As found by https://rekiji.militaryblog.jp/, the earliest known example of Fang was made in 1968, and according to him was adopted in 1965. It went through several colorations and variations, but the three most notable variants are the earliest iteration that has significantly thinner stripes, gaps between the shapes, and darker colors, and interim ones with somewhat brighter colors and much thicker, overlapping shapes, and the later 70's-80's one which is more common that is much brighter and has a bit of balance between the overlap and thickness of the shapes between the first two iterations.
    The first variation.

JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns Jgsdf_18

The apparent "second variation".
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns Tsrjrj10

Noticeable differences between an early and late example
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns Jgsdf_19

Earlier versions worn.
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns 0d5ad910
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns This_d10

Not official/government issue, but at some point the JGSDF Airborne started making helmet covers and allegedly ascots/bandannas out of US parachute camouflage material as US soldiers did. Unknown when the practice stopped or started exactly but it can be seen worn in a video of the JGSDF 1st Airborne doing jump training in the 1970's. Apparently the practice eventually carried over to non-airborne combat personnel as well.
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns 5c584510
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns 38f79110
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns 868dbc10
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns E8a8e610
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns 1st_ai10
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns 1st_ai12
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns 1st_ai11
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns First_10
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns First_11
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns First_12

A much less common occurrence but still observed, some members wore US Mitchell camouflage helmet covers.
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns Jsdf_m10

According to Rekiji, in 1989 along with the new Howa Type 89 rifle, new combat equipment, uniforms and gear were developed by the JGSDF Supply School in Matsudo, Chiba and tested by the 12th Brigade and 1st Airborne with this early iteration of the "Jieitai" fleck camouflage pattern. The pattern's colors are muted and changed due to the pouch material, and they are not big enough to get a good look at the pattern to see if there are any differences with the released version of Jieitai first issued in 1991-1992, but it is interesting to know that the Jieitai pattern was developed as early as 1989.
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns Jgsdf_20

From Kamo's collection (http://www2.ttcn.ne.jp/camouflage/english.htm), he has two very interesting prototype shirts in Jieitai. Whether these are from the late 80's trials or different styles tested in the 90's is unknown, but they have noticeable different colors and details such as pocket closures, front closures, different insignia attachment points, and the "second series" appears to have even had two lower pockets that were removed as well.
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns Jsdf_p10
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns Jsdf_p11

Rekiji also discovered that the unique 3 color desert pattern issued to JASDF personnel in Iraq also utilized the same shapes as Fang, possibly the same rollers. Interesting that since apparently 1965 even modern Japanese patterns have been using the same exact shapes.
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns Jap_3_10

Apparently from some sort of "Future Soldier Concept" demonstration in an unknown recent year, some models wearing uniquely cut MARPAT copy uniforms were seen. Whether this was ever seriously considered by the JSDF is unknown but wouldn't be surprising considering the exposure to it they get. The JSDF however seems intent on keeping their camouflage patterns their own unique design and not copying existing ones.
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns The_se10

And last for now, from a recent exercise, this JGSDF special forces OPFOR member is wearing an urban tiger stripe pattern. Haven't been able to find any other photos of it being worn, and it's interesting to see as the JSDF Aggressor Forces have already had their own uniquely yellow colored Fang pattern for awhile now, so it's possible this was just a private purchase. It gained new significance to me though after discovering the existence of the Japanese tiger stripe that was trialed decades earlier.
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns M2_1010

That's all I got for now, again I will be updating this as I find new information and photos and please feel free to comment any thoughts, info, speculation, or ideas you may have as I'm only just now getting to dig into this stuff.
    Thank's very much and enjoy!
    -Nate
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2012-12-29
    Number of posts : 2782

JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns Empty Re: JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns

Post by ripcord Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:07 am

Wow.

Thanks for all the research and work you put into this fascinating topic.

S
    Don_Wagner
    Don_Wagner

Registration date : 2019-05-21
    Number of posts : 1

JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns Empty Re: JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns

Post by Don_Wagner Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:34 pm

Wow! Thanks for sharing.
    TennoHeikaNate
    TennoHeikaNate
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post by TennoHeikaNate Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:15 am

Finally found the source of the JGSDF OPFOR wearing the urban tiger stripe; it was during a public display event commemorating the 66th anniversary of the establishment of the Ground Self-Defense Force Utsunomiya Garrison on Sunday, April 3, 2016
    Blog article here: http://dainihon2.ldblog.jp/archives/cat_1301942.html
    I guess we can chalk it off as a one-time thing for now, unless it shows up in more OPFOR exercises in the future. It seems they wore different uniforms, helmets, and web gear for the audience to more easily tell who were the bad guys, as the normal JGSDF OPFOR uniforms and equipment are just recolored and slightly altered normal JGSDF issue equipment.

JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns 2bcfc510
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns 48ccee10
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns 051ab710
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns 81c4cf10
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns 346d6e10
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns 26984b10
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns 08744610
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns 75399010
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns 12924610
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns E1bc6b10
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns F69d1a10
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns F4407c10
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6916

Post by CollectinSteve Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:39 am

This is all news to me! I never dug too deeply into Japanese camo when I was collecting, but I did always keep my eyes open for unusual pieces. The experiments with Tiger Stripe are really interesting!

The current day OPFOR uniforms look very close to the experimental USAF Blue Tiger uniforms, but without the light blue aspect. What is the cut like? Japanese of some sort, ACU, or something else?

Also, what's going on with the shoulders of the Fleck clad soldiers in the OPFOR "battle"? Lots of velcro and a puffy appearance. Brassards over a standard uniform, or is this a new type of uniform? Another picture shows a mix of types.

Steve
    TennoHeikaNate
    TennoHeikaNate
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post by TennoHeikaNate Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:17 am

I think they are just off the shelf commercial tiger BDUs from Rothco.
    As for their puffy shoulders, in the JGSDF it is popular to private purchase these "tactical pocket brassards" to use as wearable arm pockets, as the government issue Type 3 and 4 uniforms still do not have arm pockets. There are tons of different types available but most seem to have a large cover flap with a bunch of velcro real estate for insignia that covers some smaller internal pockets and pen slots.
    I have however seen some guys in recent years wearing commercial and private purchase uniforms that do have arm pockets, mostly special forces and higher rankers who can skirt the uniform regs.

JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns 14421711
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns 23_4_110
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns 1280px30
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns 11698810
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns 11722410
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns Type8910
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns Mongol13

Here's a unique tactical BDU I saw for sale awhile back, first I've seen.
    And also a pic of Major General Aoki wearing a private purchase uniform with slanted arm pockets.

JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns Jieita11
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns 73404010
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:36 am

Thanks for the info on the brassards and the great pictures of them in use.

The two pictures you posted at the bottom are interesting. The first one, with the four pocket, seems to me to be private purchase. It looks similar to an older type I have pictures of. The black tag on the neck certainly looks commercial given Japan's long history of white sewn on tags.

The second picture of MG Aoki looks like a private purchase 2 pocket jacket, but I don't see any arm pockets on it.

Also, while we're at it, can you please remind me of what the Type 4 looks like?

Thanks!

Steve
    TennoHeikaNate
    TennoHeikaNate
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post by TennoHeikaNate Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:11 am

Yeah, definitely commercial. Not sure if it's private purchase or an airsoft thing though. I haven't seen any Jieitai uniforms that weren't Crye style cuts or replicas of the government uniforms, then again hardly any makes it outside of Japan anyway so there's probably much more commercial variation than we're aware of.
    The Heat Protection, Type 4 Uniform is just the hot weather variant of the Type 3, made of a thinner cotton-blend material and with mesh vents in the armpits and crotch. Type 4 however also happens to be the designation for their desert fleck uniform as well.
    There was also a hot weather version of the Type 2 but I don't know the details of it other than it was a lighter blend than the normal Type 2's.
    Here's a Heat Protection, Type 4 uniform showing the mesh areas.

JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns Hot_we10
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns Hot_we11
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns Hot_we12

I tried to zoom in on the MG's arms', you can see the pocket flap easiest on his left sleeve.

JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns Arm_po10
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:39 am

Thanks for the follow ups. So what is the designation for one made out of ripstop?

Thanks also for the closeup of the MG's arms. I was so distracted by the right arm that I didn't notice the left! Doh Very Happy Yes, clearly slanted arm pockets. Do you think this is a trial item or purely private purchase?

Steve

TennoHeikaNate
    TennoHeikaNate
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post by TennoHeikaNate Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:24 pm

As far as I know there's no differentiating designation for ripstop. There's a bunch of different twills and types of commercial and PX purchase stuff that's authorized and they're really only concerned with the government issue types. From what I know there's no government issue ripstop uniforms but I'm not positive on that.

As far as the slant arm pocket shirts go, they are all private purchase items. I wouldn't be surprised though if the next Type 5 uniform or whatever they call it finally has arm pockets, the Type 3 is really dated in its cut, really it's just a modernized Type 65 shirt.
    From a JGSDF servicemember, left to right, here's his Type 3, Type 2, and PX Type 2 with slanted arm pockets. Personally prior to this pic I was unaware there were PX Type 2s with arm pockets, I thought they were only a very recent thing with Type 3's since I've only just found photos of them in use late last year.

JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns Type-310
    TennoHeikaNate
    TennoHeikaNate
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post by TennoHeikaNate Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:23 pm

A quick update since I haven't had one in awhile. I came across a few more photos of that public event of the JGSDF vs Agressors with the OPFOR guys wearing the urban tiger stripe.
    I also saw a similar event where the Aggressors had green tiger BDUs, looked to be Rothco brand. I didn't save those photos however, and now I can't find it again.

JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns 3348b910
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns Jsdf-610
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns The_en10
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns Jsdf-613
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns Jsdf-611
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns Jsdf-612
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns Jsdf-615
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns Jsdf-614

Also, while searching Yahoo!.jp auctions, I found a pair of those earlier strange pattern winter trousers; they're a commercial product. They are reversible to OD, and have an English "M" size tag. They do resemble the sort of commercial/private purchase items that were more common in the 80's as stopgap items to fill in needs in what the issue equipment lacked, but unless photos are found of them being worn, I will scratch those off the list of potentially issue items.

JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns Old_ca13
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns Old_ca14
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns Old_ca12
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns Old_ca16
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns Old_ca15
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns Old_ca17
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns Old_ca18
    JSDF Experimental, Trial, and Prototype Uniforms and Patterns Old_ca19

And lastly, I emailed "micafu" aka Mr. Hoto regarding the trials JSDF tiger stripe Type 65 uniforms for help regarding information or photographs, at the moment I am still currently awaiting a response. The creator of the reproduction uniforms stated in his blog that he would not supply the photos himself, and that whoever was interested would have to find them themselves. He did specifically mention at least one that showed them being worn at a parade in the Eastern Command area sometime in the 60's, and another in the Northern Command area. I don't have a Twitter account at the moment but I'm considering creating one just to ask him on there if he could share them anyway since the photos, information, and samples of the Japanese tiger are hard to find even in Japan, let alone me trying to translate vague phrases and such.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 8:12 pm