IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2-Cell Nylon Bag/Pouch/Bandoleer for the M86 Pursuit Deterrent Munition Anti-Personnel Bounding Mine (Mine, M86, APERS, PDM)

TennoHeikaNate
    TennoHeikaNate
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Name : Nate
    Registration date : 2013-10-16
    Number of posts : 327

2-Cell Nylon Bag/Pouch/Bandoleer for the M86 Pursuit Deterrent Munition Anti-Personnel Bounding Mine (Mine, M86, APERS, PDM) Empty 2-Cell Nylon Bag/Pouch/Bandoleer for the M86 Pursuit Deterrent Munition Anti-Personnel Bounding Mine (Mine, M86, APERS, PDM)

Post by TennoHeikaNate Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:42 pm

Found this neat item, a two-cell nylon bag/pouch (or as the manual calls it, a "bandoleer") for holding two M86 Pursuit Deterrent Munition anti-personnel bounding mines, intended for use by special forces or anyone who may encounter pursuit by enemy forces.
    It has no NSN, just the nomenclature, lot numbers, and a contract date of March 1990.
    It has a very long shoulder strap to let it dangle by your thigh, and originally had two flat nylon leg ties to secure it, but they were cut off of this example.
    According to the manual, these mines, if taken on a mission and not used, were supposed to be returned in the original bag for disposal.
    Apparently, this often included these bandoleers themselves, as they aren't a super common find.
    It's possible the bandoleer's were also used for other equipment; this one has definitely seen use as it has some dirt and the leg ties were cut off, I reckon it would hold a couple grenades pretty well.
    I don't think I've ever seen a photo of these bandoleer's being worn, but if anyone has any, or has a video of these mines in action, I would love to see it.

The mine itself is a modified version of one launched from an artillery projectile, wedge shaped to be packed circularly in a shell.
    The M86, once the arming lever is pulled, electronically activates a backup battery and automatically deploys seven 20-foot tripwires, that when distributed, send power to a preliminary charge which detonates the plastic shell, and launches the main, spherical, interior charge roughly shoulder-height before detonating.
    According to one source, despite being designed earlier, they were first fielded in "The second quarter of fiscal year 1991".

The manual pictures are from TM-9-1345-203-12 Operator's and Unit Maintenance Manual for Land Mines.

Enjoy!
    -Nate

2-Cell Nylon Bag/Pouch/Bandoleer for the M86 Pursuit Deterrent Munition Anti-Personnel Bounding Mine (Mine, M86, APERS, PDM) Us_mil11
    2-Cell Nylon Bag/Pouch/Bandoleer for the M86 Pursuit Deterrent Munition Anti-Personnel Bounding Mine (Mine, M86, APERS, PDM) Us_mil10
    2-Cell Nylon Bag/Pouch/Bandoleer for the M86 Pursuit Deterrent Munition Anti-Personnel Bounding Mine (Mine, M86, APERS, PDM) M86_pu10
    2-Cell Nylon Bag/Pouch/Bandoleer for the M86 Pursuit Deterrent Munition Anti-Personnel Bounding Mine (Mine, M86, APERS, PDM) M86_pu11
    2-Cell Nylon Bag/Pouch/Bandoleer for the M86 Pursuit Deterrent Munition Anti-Personnel Bounding Mine (Mine, M86, APERS, PDM) M86_pu12
    2-Cell Nylon Bag/Pouch/Bandoleer for the M86 Pursuit Deterrent Munition Anti-Personnel Bounding Mine (Mine, M86, APERS, PDM) M86_in10
    2-Cell Nylon Bag/Pouch/Bandoleer for the M86 Pursuit Deterrent Munition Anti-Personnel Bounding Mine (Mine, M86, APERS, PDM) M86_in11
    2-Cell Nylon Bag/Pouch/Bandoleer for the M86 Pursuit Deterrent Munition Anti-Personnel Bounding Mine (Mine, M86, APERS, PDM) M86_pa10
    2-Cell Nylon Bag/Pouch/Bandoleer for the M86 Pursuit Deterrent Munition Anti-Personnel Bounding Mine (Mine, M86, APERS, PDM) M86_pa11
    2-Cell Nylon Bag/Pouch/Bandoleer for the M86 Pursuit Deterrent Munition Anti-Personnel Bounding Mine (Mine, M86, APERS, PDM) M86_ar10
    2-Cell Nylon Bag/Pouch/Bandoleer for the M86 Pursuit Deterrent Munition Anti-Personnel Bounding Mine (Mine, M86, APERS, PDM) M86_em10

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 8:06 am