IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

37 Pattern pouch, modified claimed to be Belgian ABL, but is it?

Antarmike
    Antarmike
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Name : Mike Fincher
    Registration date : 2016-12-07
    Number of posts : 438

37 Pattern pouch, modified claimed to be Belgian ABL, but is it?  Empty 37 Pattern pouch, modified claimed to be Belgian ABL, but is it?

Post by Antarmike Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:53 pm

Ebay purchase bought on spec hoping it might be something unusual,  Can anyone identify.

Seller claimed 1957 Belgian ABL.

The pouch has clearly been modified,  the original attachments on the back have been removed (unpicked) and evidence of this shows inside the pouch and on the back.

The new attachments fitted do indeed match position and style of a Belgian pouch. They are sewn on with a white thread that does not match other stitching on the pouch. which is the same colour as the pouch itself.  The two brass wire hooks to fit into belt pockets do not match each other, possibly indicating that they also are being reused from stripped down webbing?

The back vertical seam on either side has been restitched with the same white thread, but the front vertical seams retain the green thread.  I presume the back seam was un picked to give access to so on the new attachments?

The stamping is unclear, the date might have been overstamped.   I might be kidding myself but the top line on the join between the bach, and the "lid / top flap" might say A B L? The is no visible or discernable stamp to suggest previous country it may have been issued to.

The pouch seems to be in unissued condition.  

I have seen no other basic pouches in ABL servive that use press stud / popper fasteners.

37 Pattern pouch, modified claimed to be Belgian ABL, but is it?  DSCF7429
    37 Pattern pouch, modified claimed to be Belgian ABL, but is it?  DSCF7430
    37 Pattern pouch, modified claimed to be Belgian ABL, but is it?  DSCF7431
    37 Pattern pouch, modified claimed to be Belgian ABL, but is it?  DSCF7432
    37 Pattern pouch, modified claimed to be Belgian ABL, but is it?  DSCF7433
    37 Pattern pouch, modified claimed to be Belgian ABL, but is it?  DSCF7434
    37 Pattern pouch, modified claimed to be Belgian ABL, but is it?  DSCF7435
    37 Pattern pouch, modified claimed to be Belgian ABL, but is it?  DSCF7436
    37 Pattern pouch, modified claimed to be Belgian ABL, but is it?  DSCF7437

My gut feeling of what it used to be, based on where you can see stitching has been removed, and the fibres of the canvas have been disturbed and pulled out,  is  "Stores Ref. CN/AA 1515 Web Equipment, Patt. 37, Pouch, utility, front, with waist strap" This pouch is deeper than "basic 37 Pattern pouch" and will hold three Bren magazines rather than just two.

37 Pattern pouch, modified claimed to be Belgian ABL, but is it?  1939-up-front-reverse-big

Image courtesy of Karkee Web.
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Name : Andrew
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 1395

37 Pattern pouch, modified claimed to be Belgian ABL, but is it?  Empty Re: 37 Pattern pouch, modified claimed to be Belgian ABL, but is it?

Post by Wolverine Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:30 pm

The pouch certainly appears to be modified, but it does have Belgian factory markings under the flap. I would say that this used to be a Belgian-made utility pouch that was converted into a standard basic pouch. We know that Belgian-made utility pouches exist in air force blue, so what not khaki as well?

I have a pouch that is nearly the same as yours, except made by TAWO.
    37 Pattern pouch, modified claimed to be Belgian ABL, but is it?  Tawo_110
    37 Pattern pouch, modified claimed to be Belgian ABL, but is it?  Tawo_111
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

37 Pattern pouch, modified claimed to be Belgian ABL, but is it?  Empty Re: 37 Pattern pouch, modified claimed to be Belgian ABL, but is it?

Post by Wolverine Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:31 pm

Probably a whole pile were modified together - either in an army workshop, or by a contractor. The reason that white stitching shows all around the rear panel is that it had to be opened up to stitch on the new fittings. A lot of work!
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Post by Wolverine Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:38 pm

Note also that air force utility pouches have the same type of press stud. Maybe the air force converted a bunch of these two, which may explain why only one type can still be found intact (the front pouch). I see them all the time, but never any rear ones.
    Antarmike
    Antarmike
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Name : Mike Fincher
    Registration date : 2016-12-07
    Number of posts : 438

Post by Antarmike Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:51 pm

Thank you Andrew, relieved to know it is ABL, I still feel converted from Pouch, utility, front, with waist strap.

The stitching on mine matches stitching for the belt.

37 Pattern pouch, modified claimed to be Belgian ABL, but is it?  1939-up-front-reverse-big-annoted
    37 Pattern pouch, modified claimed to be Belgian ABL, but is it?  DSCF7433-annoted

Chhers Mike

Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Post by Wolverine Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:48 pm

Agreed. You can see the construction lines on the bottom rear of my pouch where the tunnel loop or strap used to be.
    ABLcollector50s60s
    ABLcollector50s60s
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Registration date : 2020-01-26
    Number of posts : 97

Post by ABLcollector50s60s Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:53 pm

Interesting! I haven't seen this adjustment before, but I have seen some ABL post-ww2 "untility pouches" in airforce/marine webbing on a webshop, but I don't know if I am going to find it back.
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Post by Wolverine Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:18 pm

I keep finding this one (the front utility pouch):37 Pattern pouch, modified claimed to be Belgian ABL, but is it?  Utilit11

I am looking for the rear pouch (ie, it just has the tunnel loop, no strap).
    ABLcollector50s60s
    ABLcollector50s60s
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by ABLcollector50s60s Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:11 am

I found them back Very Happy !

https://camolots.com/products/bg203?_pos=2&_sid=e66b1feed&_ss=r
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Post by Wolverine Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:02 pm

Yes, that is the type I keep finding. Where are the partners? Very Happy

By the way, that surplus dealer is dishonest and very expensive. I don't recommend.
    ABLcollector50s60s
    ABLcollector50s60s
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by ABLcollector50s60s Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:43 am

This is all I found, but they must be somewhere ;
    I will have to search my surplus spot. Very Happy
    Unfortunately I haven't been there yet because of that nasty virus.
    And thanks for the warning for that dealer, I already had such a hunch and indeed, far too expensive.
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Post by Wolverine Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:38 pm

Well, if you find any, I would like to hear about it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 4:05 am