IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Adder/Niemoller - addendum and migration

NorthOf49
    NorthOf49
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2021-02-26
    Number of posts : 10

Adder/Niemoller - addendum and migration Empty Adder/Niemoller - addendum and migration

Post by NorthOf49 Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:59 pm

Having now learned that the gear I posted in the "Can you identify me?" sub-forum (Original thread here) is South African kit (thanks Mike), I thought I'd post follow-on photos and questions  about the gear in a new thread here in the South African Militaria sub-group (hope this is okay).

As I mentioned in the original thread there were additional bits to go along with two load-bearing sets I profiled. I've gone through the boxes and have taken some additional photos, inserted below. It was suggested to me that I add a watermark to the images, so I have done so. All of this appears un-issued.

There are no labels on any of the pieces, and in addition to the nylon components there are a couple of bags of 'rivets'. I have reached out to find out more about how this gear came to be in Alberta, but nothing to report there yet. So, to the photos.

There's actually another (third) load-bearing set, this one again in the brown, but as you can see from the photo - one of the mounting points for the shoulder harness is made up of the camo material.

Adder/Niemoller - addendum and migration IMG-9041-WM

Adder/Niemoller - addendum and migration IMG-9042-WM

While most of what I have is in this brown (and there are some colour variations in that brown) There is a bit more of the camo kit - pouches.

Adder/Niemoller - addendum and migration IMG-9040-WM

To the brown nylon gear, then. First, there are two packs - of two different styles.

Pack #1 (the larger of the two)

Adder/Niemoller - addendum and migration IMG-9043-WM

Adder/Niemoller - addendum and migration IMG-9044-WM

Pack #2 (slightly smaller)

Adder/Niemoller - addendum and migration IMG-9045-WM

Adder/Niemoller - addendum and migration IMG-9046-WM

And there are a range of pouches - multiples of each in many cases. These are in generic plastic bags but labelled to indicate they are canteen covers, grenade pouches or magazine pouches (.223, 7.62 and AK-47)

Adder/Niemoller - addendum and migration IMG-9047-WM

Adder/Niemoller - addendum and migration IMG-9048-WM

So, some mystery remains. I'd welcome any additional information and will share anything else I can turn up regarding its history with the previous owner(s).

filupe likes this post

mcoleman762
    mcoleman762
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Name : Mike
    Registration date : 2009-02-18
    Number of posts : 172

Adder/Niemoller - addendum and migration Empty Re: Adder/Niemoller - addendum and migration

Post by mcoleman762 Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:19 am

As I mentioned in the other thread, what a fantastic assortment of kit! Thanks for taking the time to go through all of it, take photos and post.

The larger backpack is based on some elements of Parabat issued packs and some private-purchase military packs that I’ve seen. I see it has the webbing and grommets that accept the aluminum butterfly frame as well. The smaller pack is pretty much an exact copy of the Recce patrol pack. Of course the Recce version is olive green, and the pouches are permanently attached, but the size and suspension layout are the same.

It is noteworthy to point out that the use of this dark brown color for South African webbing isn’t unusual. The Parabat issued “Para Fox” chest webbing, assault vest, and pack of the early 1980s were made from a dark brown nylon similar to this. The SADF also issued ground sheets, toiletry bags, and other small pieces of kit made from various shades of brown. Many of the Homelands defense forces used dark brown webbing as well. The point being, dark brown nylon fabric would have been an off-the-shelf material.

Once again, some really outstanding kit here!

Cheers,

Mike

NorthOf49 likes this post

Camonut314
    Camonut314
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Registration date : 2011-12-12
    Number of posts : 399

Adder/Niemoller - addendum and migration Empty Re: Adder/Niemoller - addendum and migration

Post by Camonut314 Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:45 am

Wish I had something more to offer, except my awe and thanks to you for sharing; indeed an amazing collection of kit!

NorthOf49
    NorthOf49
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by NorthOf49 Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:21 pm

A couple of additional bits have come to light now.

There are two pack frames (one pictured below). These are identified in the printed material I have as "Tube frames" to which the rucks can be attached.

Adder/Niemoller - addendum and migration Tube-Frame-WM
    mcoleman762
    mcoleman762
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Name : Mike
    Registration date : 2009-02-18
    Number of posts : 172

Post by mcoleman762 Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:33 pm

Ahh, nice! That is an iteration of the aluminum butterfly frame that I mentioned above. Makes sense to have those as well, seeing as this is an extensive grouping of items that belong to this system.
    filupe
    filupe

Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 1082

Post by filupe Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:02 am

I've had the smaller pack for a couple of decades now and always knew it had to be part of a larger system. I paired it with my Parafox chest webbing as it seemed to be the closest thing to it. Thanks for showing me finally what the rest of the system looks like! Also interested in obtaining whatever spares of brown pouches and associated rivets you might have.

NorthOf49
    NorthOf49
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by NorthOf49 Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:45 pm

Hi filupe. Thanks for your comment. Check your private messages.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 1:01 pm