IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Unusual M61 trousers

CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6909

Unusual M61 trousers Empty Unusual M61 trousers

Post by CollectinSteve Mon May 15, 2023 2:11 am

Hiya,

I didn't have a chance to take pictures of this yet, but I have in my hands an unissued M61 example in soft twill cotton like that found on the M76 uniform. However, it has the blue/white Amoeba interior printing like all other M58 and M61 pieces through all years. The construction appears to be identical to M61 in terms of the construction, fasteners, and quality.

Does anybody know anything about this? Is there a matching jacket for it perhaps?

Steve
    Col Kurtz
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2011-01-16
    Number of posts : 36

Unusual M61 trousers Empty Re: Unusual M61 trousers

Post by Col Kurtz Mon May 22, 2023 11:04 am

Hey,
    Wow.. from your description, it doesn't fit me with any other M61 I've seen before. In the 60s, several paratrooper jump suits were made that did not prosper and were only tested. These suits are coming to the surface every X years as it happened a few months ago. An acquaintance of mine has one of these suits.
    It could be helpful to provide some more info/data if you could add an image of these intriguing pants.

ripcord likes this post

CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Mon May 22, 2023 5:35 pm

Here are some pictures of the cloth for comparison. You can only see the difference up close, otherwise it looks like normal unissued M61 trousers. Of course it feels very different, but no picture shows that Wink

Steve

Unusual M61 trousers Img_0113
    Unusual M61 trousers Img_0112

ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2012-12-29
    Number of posts : 2782

Post by ripcord Mon May 22, 2023 5:49 pm

Perhaps a trial piece. M62s and M65s ( soft cotton ) were made contemporaneously with M61s, so it would not be unreasonable that a soft cotton M61 may have been contemplated as well..

Very cool..
    Col Kurtz
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2011-01-16
    Number of posts : 36

Post by Col Kurtz Mon May 22, 2023 5:53 pm

I have not seen the M-61 suit in this fabric and I was completely unaware of its existence. In my opinion, it looks like a fabric made of some thick cotton or "tergal" textile. Not the stiff, heavy canvas fabric we're used to seeing on the M-61 jumpsuit. It breaks my mind a bit..
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Mon May 22, 2023 6:49 pm

I was totally unaware of it as well!  Maybe Santiago is aware of it?  Hopefully he will stop by to comment.

Here is what I find strange.  If they wanted to experiment with thicker/softer cotton, why did they not just use existing cloth used for M69 or M76 uniforms?  Instead, they made a special run of cloth with the two sided printing of M62.  That was likely more expensive.

Well, I think I now have my answer about the jacket.  If it exists I will likely never find one to match my trousers Sad

Steve

ripcord likes this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 3:45 am