IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Cpl. Dale Herbert Fairbrother...Marine, ww2 vet, occupation forces, Korea Vet, grandmothers first husband

misanthropic_gods
    misanthropic_gods

Registration date : 2009-07-27
    Number of posts : 991

Cpl. Dale Herbert Fairbrother...Marine, ww2 vet, occupation forces, Korea Vet, grandmothers first husband Empty Cpl. Dale Herbert Fairbrother...Marine, ww2 vet, occupation forces, Korea Vet, grandmothers first husband

Post by misanthropic_gods Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:51 pm

This mans name was Cpl. Dale Herbert Fairbrother, he served in the USMCR in WW2, The Occupation of Japan, as well as after the war and in Korea. He was born on 1926 and married my Grandmother in 1949, he died in 1951 in a vehicle accident in Whittier, California, he was apparently going up the coast with 2 buddies to go see a friend, and he slammed into a pole. His 2 buddies survived, he did not.

My grandmother died a few years ago, the uniform, glove, and flag were found in a trunk, the ribbons, medals and paper items were found in another trunk just recently. I never even knew her 1st husband was a Marine, and I had NO idea she had all of his stuff. She did remarry, but it seemed that her heart was permanently broken by Dales death and she never recovered.

This is for both of them.......Semper Fi

His Birth Certificate, he was born on July 13th 1926 in Oregon City, Oregon
    Cpl. Dale Herbert Fairbrother...Marine, ww2 vet, occupation forces, Korea Vet, grandmothers first husband Dale013

He married my grandmother in 1949 in Oregon city, Oregon.
    Cpl. Dale Herbert Fairbrother...Marine, ww2 vet, occupation forces, Korea Vet, grandmothers first husband Dale015

What seems to be a picture of him in front of his house
    Cpl. Dale Herbert Fairbrother...Marine, ww2 vet, occupation forces, Korea Vet, grandmothers first husband Dale012

the last edition of the local USMC paper of the 4th 105mm battalion, and the 17th Engineers company, called the "Earbanger" dated 1949, it speaks of their impending deployment to Korea. (I have more pictures of this if anyone is interested)
    Cpl. Dale Herbert Fairbrother...Marine, ww2 vet, occupation forces, Korea Vet, grandmothers first husband Dale017
    Sunday Journal Magazine article from February 25th, 1951 9just weeks before his death. a story about Oregon Marines from the 4th 155mm howitzer battalion Deploying to Korea, from their leaving Oregon in August of 1950, to Camp Pendelton, A week later they were aboard the ships Okonogan and the bayfield, 3 weeks later theylanded at Kobe japan, 2 days later they participated in the Landings at Inchon, Up to Seoul, participated in the Landings at Wonsan, participated in heavy fighting for Six days around 9 December 1950, then all the way back to California.
    Cpl. Dale Herbert Fairbrother...Marine, ww2 vet, occupation forces, Korea Vet, grandmothers first husband Dale016

Here is the telegram that was sent on 9 March 1950, from the Commanding General, Marine Barracks, Camp Pendelton, to Elaine V Fairbrother regarding his death on 8 March 1951. This telegram is bordering on rude, i'm assuming she was already informed of his death by the time this telegram arrived and the sender was being curt and to the point. (I can write out what it says if anyone is interested)
    Cpl. Dale Herbert Fairbrother...Marine, ww2 vet, occupation forces, Korea Vet, grandmothers first husband Dale025

A copy of his obituary from a local Oregon City newspaper, it states he was killed in a vehicular accident in Whittier, California on Thursday March 8th 1951, and the services will be held Saturday 10 March 1951 in Hankins-Riliance chapel and he will be interred at Mountain View Cemetery in Oregon City. Also, his ribbons.
    Cpl. Dale Herbert Fairbrother...Marine, ww2 vet, occupation forces, Korea Vet, grandmothers first husband Dale009

Cpl. Dale Herbert Fairbrother...Marine, ww2 vet, occupation forces, Korea Vet, grandmothers first husband Dale010

it looks like the same ribbons are in the picture...there also seems to be a Combat Infantrymans Badge above them.....I am quite confused, anybody have any ideas?
    Cpl. Dale Herbert Fairbrother...Marine, ww2 vet, occupation forces, Korea Vet, grandmothers first husband Dale011

ribbons...the last ribbon was correct. it is a Phillipine Liberation medal with bronze arroehead for presumably, the landings at Leyte. He has an Army good conduct medal and a CIB...He Enlisted in the Army in 1944 at Ft. Lewis, Washington. He then transfered to the USMCR after the war
    Cpl. Dale Herbert Fairbrother...Marine, ww2 vet, occupation forces, Korea Vet, grandmothers first husband Dale2
    [/quote]

[quote name='Misanthropic_Gods' date='Dec 25 2009, 03 AM' post='453988']
    All the insignia I received
    Cpl. Dale Herbert Fairbrother...Marine, ww2 vet, occupation forces, Korea Vet, grandmothers first husband Dale001

USMC Sharpshooter badge, multi-piece construction, sterling
    Cpl. Dale Herbert Fairbrother...Marine, ww2 vet, occupation forces, Korea Vet, grandmothers first husband Dale002

Cpl. Dale Herbert Fairbrother...Marine, ww2 vet, occupation forces, Korea Vet, grandmothers first husband Dale003

National Defense Service Medal, it looks totally unused
    Cpl. Dale Herbert Fairbrother...Marine, ww2 vet, occupation forces, Korea Vet, grandmothers first husband Dale006

Cpl. Dale Herbert Fairbrother...Marine, ww2 vet, occupation forces, Korea Vet, grandmothers first husband Dale007

His M-41 HBT shirt with hand drawn corporal ranks and stenciled name
    Cpl. Dale Herbert Fairbrother...Marine, ww2 vet, occupation forces, Korea Vet, grandmothers first husband Uniform003

Cpl. Dale Herbert Fairbrother...Marine, ww2 vet, occupation forces, Korea Vet, grandmothers first husband Uniform004

his HBT coveralls
    Cpl. Dale Herbert Fairbrother...Marine, ww2 vet, occupation forces, Korea Vet, grandmothers first husband Uniform005

His seabag with strange UNIS marking
    Cpl. Dale Herbert Fairbrother...Marine, ww2 vet, occupation forces, Korea Vet, grandmothers first husband Uniform001

Cpl. Dale Herbert Fairbrother...Marine, ww2 vet, occupation forces, Korea Vet, grandmothers first husband Uniform002
    [/quote]

[quote name='Misanthropic_Gods' date='Dec 25 2009, 03 AM' post='453989']
    His 48 star flag that was draped over his casket and given to my grandmother as well as his baseball glove (Dont mind the ABU shirt, it is an old pic from something else, I will update the picture soon)
    Cpl. Dale Herbert Fairbrother...Marine, ww2 vet, occupation forces, Korea Vet, grandmothers first husband Base001

Cpl. Dale Herbert Fairbrother...Marine, ww2 vet, occupation forces, Korea Vet, grandmothers first husband Base004

His glove
    Cpl. Dale Herbert Fairbrother...Marine, ww2 vet, occupation forces, Korea Vet, grandmothers first husband Base006

Cpl. Dale Herbert Fairbrother...Marine, ww2 vet, occupation forces, Korea Vet, grandmothers first husband Base008

Warren Spahr
    Cpl. Dale Herbert Fairbrother...Marine, ww2 vet, occupation forces, Korea Vet, grandmothers first husband Base009

Cpl. Dale Herbert Fairbrother...Marine, ww2 vet, occupation forces, Korea Vet, grandmothers first husband Base007
    [/quote]

Last edited by misanthropic_gods on Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Mercenary25
    Mercenary25

Name : Jeremy
    Registration date : 2009-03-02
    Number of posts : 1419

Cpl. Dale Herbert Fairbrother...Marine, ww2 vet, occupation forces, Korea Vet, grandmothers first husband Empty Re: Cpl. Dale Herbert Fairbrother...Marine, ww2 vet, occupation forces, Korea Vet, grandmothers first husband

Post by Mercenary25 Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:06 pm

Didn't know that ABU were issued to Marines in WWII. Very Happy

Nice grouping!

Cpl. Dale Herbert Fairbrother...Marine, ww2 vet, occupation forces, Korea Vet, grandmothers first husband Oifbanner

http://oefoif.forumotion.net/forum.htm
    panzerwerk
    panzerwerk
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Steve Hoeger
    Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 3068

Cpl. Dale Herbert Fairbrother...Marine, ww2 vet, occupation forces, Korea Vet, grandmothers first husband Empty Re: Cpl. Dale Herbert Fairbrother...Marine, ww2 vet, occupation forces, Korea Vet, grandmothers first husband

Post by panzerwerk Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:09 pm

Thanks for sharing !!
    misanthropic_gods
    misanthropic_gods

Registration date : 2009-07-27
    Number of posts : 991

Post by misanthropic_gods Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:44 pm

Mercenary25 wrote:Didn't know that ABU were issued to Marines in WWII. Very Happy

Nice grouping!

thanks, there is alot more paperwork I might be able to get my hands on...we will see

panzerwerk wrote:Thanks for sharing !!

Yeah, those Marines sure were ahead of their time!

He was actually in the Army during WW2 (He still wore all of his army ribbons and his CIB) and participated in the Leyte Landings and the occupation of Japan, after the war he Joined the USMCR and might have been shipped off to Korea to participate in the Inchon and Wonsan Landings.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 1:57 pm