IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+24
Alfie73
Necrolust
APreston
cairyhunt
Rich83
Bury_Dave
sh4pak
saltefanden
Albano
DS9ACU
jeva
nkomo
1stDivVet
Flecktarn Australia
parafal
Gulf91
helm40
loski
HoovieDude
misanthropic_gods
Mk1rceme
Camo_fiend
Easy Gee
Philip
28 posters

THE HELMET THREAD

Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Gary
    Registration date : 2010-06-12
    Number of posts : 3591

THE HELMET THREAD - Page 21 Empty Re: THE HELMET THREAD

Post by Easy Gee Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:02 am

Hi Guys.

Here's an Austrian M1975 or Stahlhelm 1, pretty much the same as the M1958 (Stahlhelm 2) but the US Riddell style cradle was replaced with this German style leather liner, this ones dates from 1996 ,thanks for looking Gary.

THE HELMET THREAD - Page 21 Dsc06834THE HELMET THREAD - Page 21 Dsc06835THE HELMET THREAD - Page 21 Dsc06836
    Bury_Dave
    Bury_Dave
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Name : Dave
    Registration date : 2012-02-14
    Number of posts : 822

Post by Bury_Dave Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:04 am

Nice Gary but you have to wonder what doing a 5 miler in one would be like don't you ? Smile
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:12 am

Hi Guys, Here's a Swedish M1926, this one is in very good condition for it's age ( WW2), but sadly not particularly collectible or popular, but did hear a rumour these are used by some reenactors as Japanese type 90's, the shape between these two different nations lids are not too dissimilar, apart from the liners of course!!!

Thanks for looking Gary Wink

THE HELMET THREAD - Page 21 Dsc06837THE HELMET THREAD - Page 21 Dsc06838THE HELMET THREAD - Page 21 Dsc06839
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:14 am

Bury_Dave wrote:Nice Gary but you have to wonder what doing a 5 miler in one would be like don't you ? Smile

Thanks for looking Dave, probably bloody 'orrible I would imagine, especially as the shell seems to separate it's self from the liner easily Very Happy
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:18 am

Here's an all time classic, everyone should one one of these bad- boys in there collection, the venerable MK2 in all it's Glory!!!

This one is dated 1940, thanks for looking Gary!

THE HELMET THREAD - Page 21 Dsc06840THE HELMET THREAD - Page 21 Dsc06841
    Bury_Dave
    Bury_Dave
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post by Bury_Dave Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:22 am

The Brodie and Mk2 trace their lineage back to Crecy and Agincourt. Great for deflecting arrows coming down but not so useful for direct line of sight projectiles ! Smile

But I agree, every Brit should have one Smile I do !

Oh, and the Swedish one has too lazy a flare for a Jap helmet to be properly accurate.

Dave
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:37 am

Bury_Dave wrote:The Brodie and Mk2 trace their lineage back to Crecy and Agincourt. Great for deflecting arrows coming down but not so useful for direct line of sight projectiles ! Smile

But I agree, every Brit should have one Smile I do !

Oh, and the Swedish one has too lazy a flare for a Jap helmet to be properly accurate.

Dave

Ah Agincourt, the two fingered salute of the longbowman, this could start a whole new discussion on where the British inherited it's right to poke two fingers up to the enemy!!!!...but that's another debate.

Totally agree regarding the nigh on useless properties of the Mk2, and not sure about the lazy flare thing..I tend to wear bootcut myself, but saying that recently I have taken to wearing straight fit all over again,it's retro apparently..oh,sorry you mean the flare on the Swedish model..I dunno never been lucky or affluent to own a Japanese type 90 to line them up Laughing
    Bury_Dave
    Bury_Dave
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post by Bury_Dave Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:48 am

tres drole mon ami Smile I am old enough to remember wearing baggies in the late 70's . That's 1970's BTW ! Never been able to face them since. The embarassment they cause me when i see old photos of myself back then Embarassed

I had the chance to handle many Japanese helmets and other kit - albeit they were all rusted - whilst working in the Philippines and exploring the old Japanese tunnels in the nearby hills on my rare days off. But that's a story for another time and preferably over a beer !

Dave
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:46 am

Bury_Dave wrote:tres drole mon ami Smile I am old enough to remember wearing baggies in the late 70's . That's 1970's BTW ! Never been able to face them since. The embarassment they cause me when i see old photos of myself back then Embarassed

I had the chance to handle many Japanese helmets and other kit - albeit they were all rusted - whilst working in the Philippines and exploring the old Japanese tunnels in the nearby hills on my rare days off. But that's a story for another time and preferably over a beer !

Dave

Ah yes, I seem to remember in the 70's wearing some bloody horrible brown nylon trousers that made me look a tw*t at the time, I hated my parents for making me wear those friggin' things..and that rainbow coloured roller neck Jumper..and those stupid shirts with the collars so big,if you turned around too quickly you chopped some kids head off..and the plastic slip on shoes,that in the summer ( when we had summers) would fill with sweat, they would literally slip off your feet, and trip me up on the playground.....Aghhhh Barsteward parents!!!!!! Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil

Anyway deep breath.. 70's induced nightmare over and done with, that's a bloody cool story about the Japanese lids in the Phillipines, I would have love to been involved on that one..cheers Mate Very Happy

Post by Guest Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:00 pm

thanks for injecting some life in this ailing thread gary im liking your latest lids the swiss m40 reminds me of the iraqi fedayeen your stahlhelm looks to be in superb condition i can see why the swedish m1926 could be mistaken for the jap type 90 the liner looks very similar to my spanish modello z and finally your mk2 looks superb the chin strap looks mint does it still retain its elasticity and on a side note i was a kid growing up in the 70s and loved my brown corduroy's lol cheers james
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3858

Post by Gulf91 Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:12 pm

Easy Gee wrote:Hi Guys, Here's a Swedish M1926, this one is in very good condition for it's age ( WW2), but sadly not particularly collectible or popular, but did hear a rumour these are used by some reenactors as Japanese type 90's, the shape between these two different nations lids are not too dissimilar, apart from the liners of course!!!

Thanks for looking Gary Wink

THE HELMET THREAD - Page 21 Dsc06837THE HELMET THREAD - Page 21 Dsc06838THE HELMET THREAD - Page 21 Dsc06839

Does it have the badge to the front Gary?
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:15 pm

I think that originally the Brodie was designed for the purpose of protecting Soldiers from shrapnel fragments from above hence the brim and did very well at its intended job,why the shape remained the same throughout WW2 was a mystery as the type of warfare had changed since the mostly static trench warfare of WW1.

Post by Guest Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:42 pm

here's one of my british mk 5 turtles this one is dated 1972 THE HELMET THREAD - Page 21 100_2577and here's my european M1 clone collection mainly west german and a couple of belgium helmets enjoy james THE HELMET THREAD - Page 21 100_2571THE HELMET THREAD - Page 21 100_2570
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:49 am

jaycee wrote:thanks for injecting some life in this ailing thread gary im liking your latest lids the swiss m40 reminds me of the iraqi fedayeen your stahlhelm looks to be in superb condition i can see why the swedish m1926 could be mistaken for the jap type 90 the liner looks very similar to my spanish modello z and finally your mk2 looks superb the chin strap looks mint does it still retain its elasticity and on a side note i was a kid growing up in the 70s and loved my brown corduroy's lol cheers james

Thanks James, yes it was getting a dry here,brown cords maybe ,brown nylon flared things NOOOOO!!

Cheers Mate Wink
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:53 am

Gulf91 wrote:I think that originally the Brodie was designed for the purpose of protecting Soldiers from shrapnel fragments from above hence the brim and did very well at its intended job,why the shape remained the same throughout WW2 was a mystery as the type of warfare had changed since the mostly static trench warfare of WW1.

Hi Rich, No the Swede has no badge, and totally agree with your comments re: the Brodie, it always mystified me why the UK went from one badly designed lid to another e.g. the Turtle shaped monstrosity ..still it is part of our hertitage,it amazes me to think during WW2 our forefathers went to war with the MK 2...I would not be happy to wear one for paintball, let alone on the receiving end of MG42's etc:affraid:
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:55 am

James as ever loving your displays, I like what you have done with the Mk5.. a very Falklands looking set up. Cool Cool

And of course your Euro-clone collection is superb Cool Cool
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:46 am

Some questionable and equally subjective M1's I have sourced over the years..beware the repro's Shocked

THE HELMET THREAD - Page 21 Dsc01516THE HELMET THREAD - Page 21 Dsc01410THE HELMET THREAD - Page 21 Dsc01211THE HELMET THREAD - Page 21 Dsc01010

Post by Guest Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:41 pm

here,s my latest stalhlhelm a bundeswehr m60 this is the 2nd pattern model with 6 external rivits the liner bears a striking resemblance to gary's austrian stalhlhelm 1 THE HELMET THREAD - Page 21 100_2621THE HELMET THREAD - Page 21 100_2622THE HELMET THREAD - Page 21 100_2623THE HELMET THREAD - Page 21 100_2624
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:30 pm

Very nice M60 James, your right the leather liner is very similar to the Austrian Stahlhelm 1.

There are a lot of similarities,but the BW did away with separate liner..a wise move!!!

Keep em' comin' Mate Very Happy

Post by Guest Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:07 pm

my 1939 dated warden helmet THE HELMET THREAD - Page 21 100_2635

Post by Guest Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:12 pm

my rabintex composite lid fitted with israeli defence force cover THE HELMET THREAD - Page 21 100_2613THE HELMET THREAD - Page 21 100_2612
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:21 pm

Nice cover,wouldnt mind one of those myself!!

Post by Guest Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:40 pm

hi gulf yes its a nice cover the reverse is desert tan ,its a bit neater looking than the idf clown hat
    parafal
    parafal
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Name : Ed.
    Registration date : 2011-09-19
    Number of posts : 164

Post by parafal Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:01 am

Yard sale find from Saturday
    Brand new ACH , bought it for $35 USD
    THE HELMET THREAD - Page 21 114_0603