IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+10
Gemini
drmatz
koalorka
Spañiard
vonstuck
falldownjaeger
Easy Gee
CollectinSteve
misanthropic_gods
Mk1rceme
14 posters

"Reversed DPM" Para Smock

Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Name : Andrew
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 1395

"Reversed DPM" Para Smock - Page 2 Empty Re: "Reversed DPM" Para Smock

Post by Wolverine Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:57 pm

I don't know of any commercial replicas, but the Ambridge Thompson smocks are widely available probably because they were late contracts and existing stocks were not used up before the CAR was disbanded and SSF folded. As far as I know, those late-model Ambridge Thompson jackets were not related to the Tanzania narrative.
    Jerry B
    Jerry B
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2014-10-19
    Number of posts : 43

Post by Jerry B Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:36 am

Wolverine wrote:I don't know of any commercial replicas, but the Ambridge Thompson smocks are widely available probably because they were late contracts and existing stocks were not used up before the CAR was disbanded and SSF folded. As far as I know, those late-model Ambridge Thompson jackets were not related to the Tanzania narrative.

Thanks for replying.

I was told elsewhere that such claims for these were incorrect.
    OldVet

Registration date : 2017-09-18
    Number of posts : 1

"Reversed DPM" Para Smock - Page 2 Empty Ambridge & Thompson Smocks

Post by OldVet Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:22 pm

The Ambridge & Thompson Smocks were issued to the Canadian Airborne Regiment. They are real, Govt Issue.

There are basically 5 "patterns" or periods of the Canadian DPM Parachutist Smock worn by the Cdn AB Regt and the SSF.
    1975 AB Regt purchase w a darker camo and a Grey Plastic Zipper, Non Voided Nickle Snaps, makers tag inside back of smock, Peerless (RARE)
    1976-77 First official Government Contract, zipper is Brass, Non Voided Nickle Snaps, makers tag is located inside the interior velcro pocket Peerless
    1978 Second Gov't Contract, zipper is Brass, Non Voided Nickle Snaps, makers tag moved to lower inside front "skirt" peerless
    Dec 78-1985 Third Contract, zipper is Brass, Snaps are now Voided w all blackened Brass Snaps , makers tag moved to lower inside front "skirt" Peerless
    1989 Last Contract, Ambridge & Thompson. Defective Copper Spring in the female snap. Resulted in often ripping the snap away from the smock when opened. These are the most commonly found smock.
    NOTE: This last pattern was commonly worn in the Cdn Airborne Regiment and the Commanding Officer was wearing this pattern for the disbandment of the Regiment 5 March 1995.
    Note: I'm fairly certain that Frontenac Clothing may also have produced some DPM smocks in the late 70's early 80s, but can't find my info. Same pattern as the 78-85 smocks.

There are a number of smock specific points, but this gives a quick overview.

Jerry B wrote:I have been told that the Ambridge & Thompson smocks are not real, anyone have any thoughts on this, something to do with Tanzania.
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Name : Andrew
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 1395

Post by Wolverine Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:06 pm

There is another maker to add to the contract last. I have a smock by Uniformes F.O.B. Ltee, dated 1986 with voided snaps.

"Reversed DPM" Para Smock - Page 2 Smock_10

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:09 pm