IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Major Anderson's OG-107

sh4pak
    sh4pak
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

Registration date : 2012-04-23
    Number of posts : 626

Major Anderson's OG-107 Empty Major Anderson's OG-107

Post by sh4pak Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:31 am

Major Anderson's OG-107 7108394099_727c710d2e_c

Only, it isn't.

The Major bought his own clothes, it would seem.:

Major Anderson's OG-107 7108394119_6d5e28eb18_z
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Registration date : 2010-07-31
    Number of posts : 164

Major Anderson's OG-107 Empty Re: Major Anderson's OG-107

Post by Sarge Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:53 am

Yep standard PX purchase stuff.
    I never could understand guys buying that as it was more expensive than the issue items at clothing sales.
    Sarge
    sh4pak
    sh4pak
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

Post by sh4pak Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:26 am

It is a pleasure to meet you, Sarge. I've read much of what you have to say around here, and I find you... formidible (and I hope that it is no insult to say so).

I find a LOT of 107's out here, being close to Meade, the Pentagon, Andrews, Detrick, and a lot of other places, and I have to tell you-- the real ones, the sateen? More comfortable than any street-clothes I own. It was a shame that they switched to that Dura-Press nastiness. Also a shame that no civvies offer the same sort of utilitarian comfort.

Of course, I seriously limit myself when it comes to wearing any of it. I'm okay with a few pairs of pants that I own-- (because they look a lot like what they sell at the mall), and a "permeable" Navy coat, (because it gets cold here, and nobody can really identify it),-- but there's something very disrespectful about wearing a uniform that other people sweat for and earned.

I collect because I'm fascinated by the history-- and maybe a little crazy.

My only service to my country was as a contractor at the Pentagon, and when the kids came up and thanked me for just doing my job-- it was *very* humbling.

Anyway-- Good Morning.

Best to you.

--Dan
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3858

Post by Gulf91 Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:14 pm

I have one of those Trooper shirts myself and was told a long time ago the reason they were popular is that they were of much lighter weight material than the issue shirts,thus im guessing much more comfortable under the hot,humid Vietnam conditions.
    sh4pak
    sh4pak
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

Post by sh4pak Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:18 am

--Interesting. Makes sense, although, all of the ones I own are so worn, there seems little difference in the weight of the fabric. I'd venture that a Trooper would be in all ways superior to OG507/DuraPress, but those didn't hit the scene until after Vietnam.

Honestly, I cannot imagine wearing any kind of sateen or heavy twill in Southeast Asia. It gets hot enough here as to make those garments a poor candidate. And places like Shreveport, or Biloxi? Ugh. Forget about it. I'm not recanting my assertions with regard to comfort, but I mean in a temperate climate.

All things being considered, the move to poplin was a very good idea.
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Registration date : 2010-07-31
    Number of posts : 164

Post by Sarge Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:23 am

Gruß und Tanx für de komplementz!
    I also was not happy when they switched to the wash & wear fatigues. They were fine in the summer but a bit kold in the winter. Fortunately I had lots of the OG 107s to wear in the winter.
    I wear either fatigues or Navy dungarees & black low quarters all the time. The only time I wear civilian slacks is at the banquiet at conventions. In the winter when it is cold enuf to need a jacket - that is usualy when it gets below 25° - I wear a Bundeswehr leather flight jacket, a Navy flight jacket or a tiger stripe field jacket. The hell with civilian clothes!!!
    Anyone who collects anything is "a little crazy!" Some of us are a lot krazy!
    The state side fatigues were only worn for a very short period of time in RVN, same for the black leather combat boots.
    Sarge

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 18, 2024 4:10 am