IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Unusual Camo Uniform - Country Unknown

ehrentitle
    ehrentitle
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Registration date : 2009-06-04
    Number of posts : 94

Unusual Camo Uniform - Country Unknown Empty Unusual Camo Uniform - Country Unknown

Post by ehrentitle Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:17 am

I purchased this uniform from a thrift shop on a military post yesterday.  It's definitely from one of the international students that train on that installation, but I have no idea of what country.  I saw the hat a couple of days ago and just thought it was a heavily soiled BDU cap.  Then I saw the uniform yesterday and knew the hat went with it.  It looks a bit like the A-TACS camo.  Can anyone identify?

Unusual Camo Uniform - Country Unknown 13006562525_5470908fc5_o
    Camo_fiend
    Camo_fiend

Name : Ben
    Registration date : 2009-07-22
    Number of posts : 2705

Unusual Camo Uniform - Country Unknown Empty Re: Unusual Camo Uniform - Country Unknown

Post by Camo_fiend Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:46 am

It looks like a doctored ATACS-FG set, but the buttons are throwing me... And I am not aware of any country that uses that pattern in an official capacity, either.

The Fort Lee thrift shop had this? I'm impressed, because the one at Langley is absolute crap. Unless you're into chintzy old lady porcelain brickabrack... Laughing I saw 1 ratty DCU top in there once and that was it. Then they moved locations and I don't know if they started offering more stuff or not, but based on what I'd seen before I'm not hopeful.

See my collection online: http://benscamo.webs.com/
    ehrentitle
    ehrentitle
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Unusual Camo Uniform - Country Unknown Empty Re: Unusual Camo Uniform - Country Unknown

Post by ehrentitle Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:38 am

Yes it's from the Ft Lee Thrift Shop. They have a policy of removing all insignia and name tapes, so normally there are stripped down Class As and ACUs, nothing really worth buying. But on rare occasions uniforms from our international military students show up, as was the case yesterday. They sometimes donate them to the thrift shop to make more room in their suitcase for US goods when they go back home.

This particular uniform has no markings other than a white size 56 tag in the hat. One of my friends thinks it's eastern European because of the woodland style camo.

I bought three foreign uniforms yesterday and this was the most interesting. The second was a set of US BDUs which had been modified with vercro on the arms, above the pockets and on the chest for rank.
    bravo_2_zero
    bravo_2_zero
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Registration date : 2009-04-16
    Number of posts : 812

Post by bravo_2_zero Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:46 pm

Looks awfully like the stuff aliexpress sells
    ehrentitle
    ehrentitle
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by ehrentitle Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:59 pm

Thanks, I suspect this is a uniform currently worn by one of the countries that sends students here to train. I just haven't narrowed it down yet. according to a recent news story there are students from Thailand, Afghanistan. Saudi Arabia (the largest contingent), Armenia, Australia, Austria, Brazil, Ghana, Hungary, Kazakhstan, Lithuania, Moldova, Mongolia, Morocco, Pakistan, Portugal, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, St. Kitts, Swaziland, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tunisia, Ukraine and Yemen.

A couple of years ago I found an Afghan uniform at this thrift shop, but these kind of finds are few and far between.
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6906

Post by CollectinSteve Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:32 pm

None of the countries that you listed fit the bill.  That isn't to say someone from one of those countries didn't wear it, just that it's not a uniform worn as standard kit by any of them.  I agree it looks like a modified A-TACS set.  Which, as mentioned above, doesn't appear to be used by anybody in an official capacity.

I tried matching up to some A-TACS images off the internet and I couldn't get an exact match. I'm sure there are knockoffs.

Steve
    ehrentitle
    ehrentitle
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by ehrentitle Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:56 pm

Here are two more uniforms that I bought at the same time and may have been owned by the same individual.

The first is a standard BDU with a 1986 contract date with added velcro...

Unusual Camo Uniform - Country Unknown 13070609385_8f64bfc36e_b

Unusual Camo Uniform - Country Unknown 13070933384_241ee1cceb_b

Unusual Camo Uniform - Country Unknown 13070608865_2e16a74f3c_b

You can see the faint outline where what appears to be enlisted rank has been removed from the collar...

Unusual Camo Uniform - Country Unknown 13070610215_846e9de37a_o

And here is the other which is an olive green uniform with shoulder straps that appear to have had rank pips...

Unusual Camo Uniform - Country Unknown 13070934344_8b480bb347_b

Unusual Camo Uniform - Country Unknown 13070608495_6d63fccf38_b
    bravo_2_zero
    bravo_2_zero
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Registration date : 2009-04-16
    Number of posts : 812

Post by bravo_2_zero Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:14 pm

ATACS is I believe officially a product of proper int. And is made by them and only them it seems. This to me looks like a knock off made in China because the proper ones are a direct copy cut of ACU and this has non ACU features , such as buttoned waist tabs.
    jimmyduncan23
    jimmyduncan23
    Major
    Major

Registration date : 2011-07-29
    Number of posts : 1482

Post by jimmyduncan23 Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:17 pm

I have seen some Ukrainian units trialled atacs uniforms, might be from there/ and a few other eastern European countries too I think
    ehrentitle
    ehrentitle
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by ehrentitle Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:52 pm

jimmyduncan23 wrote:I have seen some Ukrainian units trialled atacs uniforms, might be from there/ and a few other eastern European countries too I think

Thanks, It's a good possibility. Here is an article that has a few photos of the Ukrainian A-TACs uniform...

http://blog.predatorbdu.com/2012/10/ukraine-testing-new-uniforms-in-tacs-au.html

CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6906

Post by CollectinSteve Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:03 pm

Interesting that the Ukraine played around with this some.  The pics are for the overall brown style and the cut of the uniform is different than the mystery set here, but that doesn't necessarily rule it out.

Current photos of Ukrainian forces deployed near the Crimea are wearing a mix of all kinds of uniforms and equipment.  I've heard from sources that they don't have equipment for the new recruits they are taking in.  I've seen some footage of basic training drill with all kinds of stuff in use there as well.  They really aren't ready for mass mobilization.

Steve

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 pm