IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
CollectinSteve
fallout
abefroman
Wolverine
8 posters

G3 magazine pouches - BW versus Danish manufacture

Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Name : Andrew
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 1407

G3 magazine pouches - BW versus Danish manufacture Empty G3 magazine pouches - BW versus Danish manufacture

Post by Wolverine Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:11 pm

I was recently discussing this subject with another forum member. It is possible that the Danish forces used West German magazine pouches for the G3, but there were also Danish-made pouches. The colour and hardware are different, and the Danish pouch (on the right) has a Danish NSN (dated 1990), while the German pouch (on the left) has a German one. Otherwise, these pouches seem to be made from more or less the same drawings.

G3 magazine pouches - BW versus Danish manufacture Danish10
    G3 magazine pouches - BW versus Danish manufacture Danish11

Detail of studs for flap closure:
    G3 magazine pouches - BW versus Danish manufacture Danish13
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

G3 magazine pouches - BW versus Danish manufacture Empty Re: G3 magazine pouches - BW versus Danish manufacture

Post by Wolverine Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:16 pm

German markings:
    G3 magazine pouches - BW versus Danish manufacture Danish14
    Danish markings:
    G3 magazine pouches - BW versus Danish manufacture Danish15
    abefroman
    abefroman
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Registration date : 2014-09-26
    Number of posts : 282

G3 magazine pouches - BW versus Danish manufacture Empty Re: G3 magazine pouches - BW versus Danish manufacture

Post by abefroman Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:37 pm

thanks for the post. that explains all the pictures of Danish troops with "German" pouches. How difficult are the Danish ones to find? And was this their only G3 pouch?
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Post by Wolverine Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:05 pm

I think that they are not common to find outside of Denmark - that is where my few examples came from. I have never seen them elsewhere.

Presumably one could also carry G3 mags in the ambidextrous pouches (as below), and somewhere I think I have a picture of soldiers wearing one German-style pouch and one ambidextrous pouch (need to find it to confirm).

G3 magazine pouches - BW versus Danish manufacture M59_po10
    fallout
    fallout
    Corporal
    Corporal

Name : Luke
    Registration date : 2015-01-13
    Number of posts : 39

Post by fallout Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:33 pm

Thanks for posting. I like the color on the Danish ones much better than on the German ones.
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6952

Post by CollectinSteve Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:05 am

The German ones are from the 1960s through the 1970s, as far as I know.  After that they switched from the laminated type to a solid soft plastic type.  The laminated type is, IMHO, vastly superior to the solid type.

I have pictures of Danes wearing this type of mag pouch in 1997. The earliest mag pouch in Flecktarn I've seen is 1998, but there are other bits from that kit which are dated 1996. I'm guessing 1995 or 1996 is when they started making the stuff. From what I've been told the Flecktarn stuff was always hard to come by. Probably reserved for troops on deployment, everybody else getting stuck with the older stuff..

Steve
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Post by Wolverine Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:10 pm

Yes, the laminated types from the BW normally have 1960s or 1970s dates. I don't know if I have any from the 1980s or not. The plastic pouches all seem to have 1980s dates, and seem to have appeared around the same time as the simplified y-straps, and gas mask carrier without the zipper. However, in BW photos from the early to mid 1980s, the laminated ones still appear, even with the new y-straps. I have quite a few plastic ones, and they have never been used.

I agree, there is evidence that the Danes were wearing the old style, pre-Flecktarn webbing well into the 1990s.
    abefroman
    abefroman
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by abefroman Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:47 am

CollectinSteve wrote:The German ones are from the 1960s through the 1970s, as far as I know.  After that they switched from the laminated type to a solid soft plastic type.  The laminated type is, IMHO, vastly superior to the solid type.

I have pictures of Danes wearing this type of mag pouch in 1997.  The earliest mag pouch in Flecktarn I've seen is 1998, but there are other bits from that kit which are dated 1996.  I'm guessing 1995 or 1996 is when they started making the stuff.  From what I've been told the Flecktarn stuff was always hard to come by.  Probably reserved for troops on deployment, everybody else getting stuck with the older stuff..

Steve

I agree. The first evidence I have seen of Danes wearing the PLCE flecktarn webbing was in the Balkans 1995. Pitures of the Germans in Somalia in 1992 shows them having already switched over to the OD lift the tab pouches that eventually changed to flecktarn.
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Post by Wolverine Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:20 am

abefroman wrote:
    CollectinSteve wrote:The German ones are from the 1960s through the 1970s, as far as I know.  After that they switched from the laminated type to a solid soft plastic type.  The laminated type is, IMHO, vastly superior to the solid type.

I have pictures of Danes wearing this type of mag pouch in 1997.  The earliest mag pouch in Flecktarn I've seen is 1998, but there are other bits from that kit which are dated 1996.  I'm guessing 1995 or 1996 is when they started making the stuff.  From what I've been told the Flecktarn stuff was always hard to come by.  Probably reserved for troops on deployment, everybody else getting stuck with the older stuff..

Steve

I agree. The first evidence I have seen of Danes wearing the PLCE flecktarn webbing was in the Balkans 1995. Pitures of the Germans in Somalia in 1992 shows them having already switched over to the OD lift the tab pouches that eventually changed to flecktarn.

Indeed, I think that the earliest OD German webbing I have (the new type with the WE 82 pattern-style belt and the 'Spanish' lift tabs) is dated 1988 or so. This makes sense too, because I remember as a kid in the late 1980s and early 1990s that there was suddenly a ton of the old style German gear in the surplus stores (belts, y-straps, magazine pouches, bread bags, canteens, etc). There still seems to be a healthy supply of German magazine pouches, both plastic and laminated.
    michelwijnand
    michelwijnand
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Name : Michel Wijnand
    Registration date : 2016-11-09
    Number of posts : 798

Post by michelwijnand Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:57 pm

I know the photo you mean wit hthe 1 G3 type pouch, but the other one is an older M45-50 magazine pouch, not the slanted M45-59 one.

The Danes seem to call the Fleck PLCE webbing M95 or M96, so the old webbing was still used even in the Balkans at some point even alongside the
    Fleck stuff.
    A Danish seller once joked that their troops in the Balkans were sometimes asked if they would get their actual gear later, and that's why they had the
    crappy old webbing Razz
    M55q
    M55q
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2017-04-20
    Number of posts : 56

Post by M55q Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:27 pm

michelwijnand wrote:I know the photo you mean wit hthe 1 G3 type pouch, but the other one is an older M45-50 magazine pouch, not the slanted M45-59 one.

The Danes seem to call the Fleck PLCE webbing M95 or M96, so the old webbing was still used even in the Balkans at some point even alongside the
    Fleck stuff.
    A Danish seller once joked that their troops in the Balkans were sometimes asked if they would get their actual gear later, and that's why they had the
    crappy old webbing Razz

The official nomenclature is M/96 for the PLCE webbing in Danish M/84 camouflage.
    Not widely distributed before 1997, according to the article below:

G3 magazine pouches - BW versus Danish manufacture 1997-010
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:50 am

Excellent information! Designations and what is part of the system all in one post Very Happy Thank you!

Steve
    abefroman
    abefroman
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by abefroman Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:10 am

M55q wrote:
    michelwijnand wrote:I know the photo you mean wit hthe 1 G3 type pouch, but the other one is an older M45-50 magazine pouch, not the slanted M45-59 one.

Fleck stuff.
    crappy old webbing Razz

The official nomenclature is M/96 for the PLCE webbing in Danish M/84 camouflage.
    Not widely distributed before 1997, according to the article below:

G3 magazine pouches - BW versus Danish manufacture 1997-010

Great post. This may inspire me to post my M96 gear....
    mikedenmark
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2017-12-10
    Number of posts : 12

Post by mikedenmark Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:34 pm

The uniform system was M84.
    The straps and gear is M96.

(before the M84, there was the super rare forsøgsunifom in camo. I have been told only 3 coys were testing it.)

Danish camo pouches for the G3 were made, but as planning for a new rifle was underway, few were made. I switched directly from old BW G3 pouches to camo pouches for my "new" M95 rifle.

I have been told the camo pouches was a stop gap measure. They are very rare. I have only ever seen a few.

The green pouch shown by wolverine is a all purpose pouch. It was not, afaIk, used for magazines.
    I recall its name was an A-taske A-pouch. I dont know where the A came from.

Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Post by Wolverine Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:57 pm

mikedenmark: are you able to recall if your old G3 pouches were German-made or Danish-made?
    mikedenmark
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by mikedenmark Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:19 pm

I have never seen the BW pouch with a danish marking.

They may exist, or they may be unmarked.
    Just at the end, we saw some pouches made of a thinner material. evidently newly made, but of lower quality than the older german ones.

I can guess the danish army, if they didnt simply buy from the BW, may have placed an order in Germany for pouches. But, I am guessing here.
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Post by Wolverine Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:32 pm

One would think that if an order were placed in Germany, the product would look very much like a standard BW pouch. Yet the pouches with Danish NATO stock numbers (as in my original post above) are a different colour altogether, and have different hardware from the German-issue pouches, which never changed very much over many years of production. Of course, it is possible that these ones with Danish NSNs were made in Germany, but the clear differences in appearance are striking.
    mikedenmark
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by mikedenmark Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:16 am

I didn´t read the original posting in detail. My error.

If they have a danish NATO number, they are danish purchase. I dont know if that means they are actually made in Denmark.

The buttons at the bottom tended to break off/disintegrate in use. Now I see them, I recall those lousy brass buttons.
    The german one´s were okay.

The green rubber material was thinner, and more flappy than the german type. Which meant to insert the magazines were more difficult. The front of the pouch caved inwards, and the magazines stuck upon the front pouch edge. You had to wringle to get them in.
    The german pouches kept their shape, more or less.
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Post by Wolverine Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:57 am

Thank you: so there is no doubt then that both types of pouches were used - with German and Danish NSNs. We had been unsure of this until reading your information.
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:39 pm

mikedenmark wrote: (before the M84, there was the super rare forsøgsunifom in camo. I have been told only 3 coys were testing it.)

I assume you mean the T/78 uniform? Yes, very rare. I waited for many years to have jacket and trousers, recently I had two (the other went to an IACMC member). I have the jacket, combat trousers, and barracks trousers. I think the only thing I'm missing is the hood for the jacket.

Wolverine wrote:Thank you: so there is no doubt then that both types of pouches were used - with German and Danish NSNs. We had been unsure of this until reading your information.

Yes, definitely good information to have. It made sense for Denmark to have purchased surplus pouches from Germany. The price would be very hard for them to say no to. Danes are thrifty people Wink

Thanks for the information Mike!

Steve
    mikedenmark
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by mikedenmark Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:42 pm

I didnt know it was called the T78.
    If I recall correctly they also had the cap. Or, rather, A cap.
    I don´t know if the design of the cap were changed when the M84 was made.
    If not, then only the marking inside can tell if it is a pre 1984 cap.

Unfortunately, the only person I know personnally, who wore the T78, is today in a very bad condition.
    No chance to ask him any questions.
    I remember those in the home defense, who tested the uniform were allowed to keep them after the test.
    I doubt, if he still has his uniform.
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:54 am

A hat?  Hmm.  That makes sense, but I don't think I've ever seen one before.  The m/84 hats are pretty hard to get, but recently a batch has come out onto the market.  I guess I can dream of both a hat and a hood now Wink

Steve
    Timberwolf104

Registration date : 2021-12-16
    Number of posts : 1

Post by Timberwolf104 Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:16 am

Wolverine wrote:I think that they are not common to find outside of Denmark - that is where my few examples came from. I have never seen them elsewhere.

Presumably one could also carry G3 mags in the ambidextrous (as below), and somewhere I think I have a picture of soldiers wearing one German-style pouch and one ambidextrous pouch (need to find it to confirm).

G3 magazine pouches - BW versus Danish manufacture M59_po10

Hi
    it's not a pouches for the G3
    but it is a magsintaske for MP49 submachine gun that could be 6 magazines in it of 36 shots
    they were used by MC ordinas and commanding man in the Danish army
    M55q
    M55q
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2017-04-20
    Number of posts : 56

Post by M55q Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:06 am

Timberwolf104 wrote:
    Wolverine wrote:I think that they are not common to find outside of Denmark - that is where my few examples came from. I have never seen them elsewhere.

Presumably one could also carry G3 mags in the ambidextrous (as below), and somewhere I think I have a picture of soldiers wearing one German-style pouch and one ambidextrous pouch (need to find it to confirm).

Hi
    it's not a pouches for the G3
    but it is a magsintaske for MP49 submachine gun that could be 6 magazines in it of 36 shots
    they were used by MC ordinas and commanding man in the Danish army

According to the "Vejledning i Anvendelse af Hærens Oppakningssystem" from 1962 (Published by the 'Hærkommandoen')
    the "A-taske" was meant for riffle ammunition, hand grenades, hand grenade launcher, magazines for the MP49 and all sorts of more specialised equipment
    (see page 76-79 in aforementioned guide).

/M55q

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 1:35 am