IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Camo uniform. What do I have here

Gungadd
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Registration date : 2014-05-28
    Number of posts : 340

Camo uniform. What do I have here Empty Camo uniform. What do I have here

Post by Gungadd Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:25 am

Camo uniform. What do I have here Img_0815
    Camo uniform. What do I have here Img_0816
    Camo uniform. What do I have here Img_0818
    Camo uniform. What do I have here Img_0817
    jimmyduncan23
    jimmyduncan23
    Major
    Major

Registration date : 2011-07-29
    Number of posts : 1489

Camo uniform. What do I have here Empty Re: Camo uniform. What do I have here

Post by jimmyduncan23 Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:33 am

looks like a south Korean Vietnam era uniform. prob used by an advisor attached to a Korean unit. but not my specialty area
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Name : Andrew
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 1407

Post by Wolverine Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:46 pm

Is the SSI cut-edge or merrowed?
    Gungadd
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post by Gungadd Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:54 pm

Merrowed
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Post by Wolverine Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:33 pm

So I guess that would make the patches post 1968? I can't remember for certain when merrowed patches began to appear. The patch experts at US Militaria Forum would probably have more to say about that, as well as the backing material for the jump wings.
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6952

Post by CollectinSteve Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:22 pm

The uniform is definitely South Korean airborne. Seems to be a field jacket which, until now, I've not seen in this pattern. Snaps and zipper for the front? Normal field jackets/shirts are 2 chest pocket, but otherwise similar cut.

You can check for tags, but often they are missing. IIRC earliest use was early 1970s and it continued through 1980s, maybe 1990s. This definitely looks to be an older piece.

Steve

Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Post by Wolverine Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:31 pm

Also, the stamped branch and name tapes seem to pop up throughout 1960s to early 1980s stuff.
    zvez
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Registration date : 2009-02-21
    Number of posts : 419

Post by zvez Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:50 pm

it looks put together to me, ie the insignia has a lot more wear on it than the camo.
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6952

Post by CollectinSteve Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:29 am

Yup, first thought should always be "put together unless proven otherwise". Glad Zvev came back from semi-retirement to remind us all about that Smile

One of the things that complicates things is soldiers often didn't have easy access to replacement badging. So it is possible they were transferred from an existing, totally spent US issued shirt/hacket and put on this one instead. A detailed examination of the back side of the stitching should be a pretty good indicator.

The jacket does look to be significantly faded to me, but it could be a trick of the flash/lighting.

Steve
    Gungadd
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post by Gungadd Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:23 pm

Thanks for the help. This is the way I got it in a batch of uniforms. No clue on its origin.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 4:35 am