IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Some Belgian stuff from Ciney, Wittock body armor info needed

michelwijnand
    michelwijnand
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Name : Michel Wijnand
    Registration date : 2016-11-09
    Number of posts : 792

Some Belgian stuff from Ciney, Wittock body armor info needed Empty Some Belgian stuff from Ciney, Wittock body armor info needed

Post by michelwijnand Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:35 pm

Just found some Belgian things in Ciney yesterday, figured I'd show them here, and I'd like to see if anyone has more info and reference photos
    of the body armor below.

UN helmet cover, 2 different types of airforce Flecktarn caps (1 with elastic back, 1 with plastic adjustment strip).

The Helmet, Y-strap and the 2 chincups are British, Polish and French respectively, though 1 chincup will go on an Belgian 80's para M1 I have,
    the type with the French F1 liner.

Some Belgian stuff from Ciney, Wittock body armor info needed Dsc03913

Desert pants, Jigsaw para smock.

Some Belgian stuff from Ciney, Wittock body armor info needed Dsc03911

And then the body armor. It's made by Wittock and dated 1986. It came with 2 plates, 1 of which made by Bristol UK and in a rubberized cover,
    the other made by Galt armor, whoch I haven't heard of before.
    I've only ever seen armors like this with the covered Bristol marked plates, but seeing how the Galt plate is the exact same shape and size, it
    might even be what is inside the cover.

The khaki strap on the end of the groinflap goes between the legs and attaches to the inside of the back of the vest.
    The 2 thin straps from within the vest are a cummerbund.

Questions will be below the armor pics.

Some Belgian stuff from Ciney, Wittock body armor info needed Dsc03915
    Some Belgian stuff from Ciney, Wittock body armor info needed Dsc03912
    Some Belgian stuff from Ciney, Wittock body armor info needed Dsc03910
    Some Belgian stuff from Ciney, Wittock body armor info needed Dsc03914

So here's some questions.
    Does anyone know what troops these vests were meant for? I have just the following 2 photos of them in use in Afghanistan, both by AFV crew.
    Also, does anybody have more photos of this vest type in use?

Some Belgian stuff from Ciney, Wittock body armor info needed Body_a12
    Some Belgian stuff from Ciney, Wittock body armor info needed Body_a13
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Name : Andrew
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 1395

Some Belgian stuff from Ciney, Wittock body armor info needed Empty Re: Some Belgian stuff from Ciney, Wittock body armor info needed

Post by Wolverine Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:11 pm

Does the UN helmet cover have any labels?

The Polish y-strap seems to have a snap hook for attaching a bayonet scabbard?

Any label in the smock?

Nice smarties/flecktarn caps!
    michelwijnand
    michelwijnand
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Name : Michel Wijnand
    Registration date : 2016-11-09
    Number of posts : 792

Some Belgian stuff from Ciney, Wittock body armor info needed Empty Re: Some Belgian stuff from Ciney, Wittock body armor info needed

Post by michelwijnand Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:01 pm

The UN cover has no tag at all, and the smock has a very faded label on which only a number 2 can be seen.

The Polish strap has a bayo hanger, yes. I've seen them a few times before, and now a seller had a whole bin of y-straps with many of these mixed in, for €3 a piece I couldn't not take it.
    It's a very late one made of nylon, at that point soldiers were almost always too lazy to even use a y-strap.

And thanks, there was a seller with a stack of these caps, 2 versions to my surprise, so I took 1 of each.
    abefroman
    abefroman
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Registration date : 2014-09-26
    Number of posts : 282

Post by abefroman Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:13 pm

Nice finds, I have been looking for that UN helmet cover for awhile! I also have a bunch of pictures of that vest in use during Bosnia/Kosovo. I will post later today but shoot me an email.
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Name : Andrew
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 1395

Post by Wolverine Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:12 pm

I might have a spare cover like that one.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:04 am