IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Folding shovel restauration question

Glencoe
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2017-10-22
    Number of posts : 48

Folding shovel restauration question Empty Folding shovel restauration question

Post by Glencoe Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:43 pm

Hello,

I recently picked up an old 1950s/1960s folding shovel and cover. Both are in a somewhat rough state and I would like to restore them a bit.

Folding shovel restauration question Cimg3026

The cover is complete, the leather needs a bit of work as it is somewhat dry and brittle. The fastener in the center has been dented; it closes but also opens (too) easily.

Folding shovel restauration question Cimg3028

The shovel itself is rusty but I think this will clean off with ease. After this I might try to paint it. The handle seems to be added later. It is attached with nuts and bolts instead of rivets. It also has an high gloss finish.

Folding shovel restauration question Cimg3027

I would like your advise on this; what should I do?, what do the original shovels look like?

Glencoe
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Name : Andrew
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 1395

Folding shovel restauration question Empty Re: Folding shovel restauration question

Post by Wolverine Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:09 pm

The handle is, for sure, a replacement. I would not repaint or rework the shovel - perhaps remove any loose rust or dirt, and then apply a light coating of oil or wax as a preservative. These shovels are fairly common, so it should be possible to find one that has the original handle and that retains much of its original paint.

The cover can be cleaned gently with soap and water. Saddle soap may be used to freshen up the leather.
    michelwijnand
    michelwijnand
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Name : Michel Wijnand
    Registration date : 2016-11-09
    Number of posts : 795

Folding shovel restauration question Empty Re: Folding shovel restauration question

Post by michelwijnand Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:54 pm

They appear complete on marktplaats quite a bit, and Douwe's Dump in Ommen has a box of them in varying conditions.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:11 pm