IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Rhodesian Para Smock, possibly, maybe.

James K
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Registration date : 2015-09-19
    Number of posts : 155

Rhodesian Para Smock, possibly, maybe. Empty Rhodesian Para Smock, possibly, maybe.

Post by James K Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:12 am

I live in Ringwood, Hampshire and last week there was a display in a charity shop window that had an unusual para smock. Whilst it was a perfectly normal example of a British 1950's Para Smock, in cut and cloth, the camouflage pattern was very, very similar to the later Rhodesian Pattern camouflage. There were no badges aside from an old and entirely correct 2 Para DZ flash, I couldn't find a label. This was an old jacket that had been extensively used not recent in any way, that said it was in good condition with some fading, wear in all the expected places and a few minor repairs done very neatly.

The jacket was not for sale and I could get very little information from the otherwise very helpful shop manager who is South African. The jacket has gone now and I was unable to take a photograph.

Were there para smocks in Rhodesian camouflage issued or perhaps made commercially in Rhodesia?
    loski
    loski
    Captain
    Captain

Name : Graham
    Registration date : 2010-08-11
    Number of posts : 919

Rhodesian Para Smock, possibly, maybe. Empty Re: Rhodesian Para Smock, possibly, maybe.

Post by loski Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:11 pm

There were no smocks issued in Rhodesia as far as Im aware there was a plain tan half zip version issued.
    zvez
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Registration date : 2009-02-21
    Number of posts : 419

Rhodesian Para Smock, possibly, maybe. Empty Re: Rhodesian Para Smock, possibly, maybe.

Post by zvez Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:38 pm

possibly pakistani? They had a camo pattern that was very similar to rhodesian. As a matter of fact in the 70s, these smocks were sold in soldier of fortune magazine as "rhodesian type" because at the time rhodesian camo was impossible to obtain.

James K wrote:I live in Ringwood, Hampshire and last week there was a display in a charity shop window that had an unusual para smock. Whilst it was a perfectly normal example of a British 1950's Para Smock, in cut and cloth, the camouflage pattern was very, very similar to the later Rhodesian Pattern camouflage.  There were no badges aside from an old and entirely correct 2 Para DZ flash, I couldn't find a label.  This was an old jacket that had been extensively used not recent in any way, that said it was in good condition with some fading, wear in all the expected places and a few minor repairs done very neatly.

The jacket was not for sale and I could get very little information from the otherwise very helpful shop manager who is South African. The jacket has gone now and I was unable to take a photograph.

Were there para smocks in Rhodesian camouflage issued or perhaps made commercially in Rhodesia?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 07, 2024 8:40 pm