IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

Boot repairs - resoled boots?

Antarmike
    Antarmike
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Name : Mike Fincher
    Registration date : 2016-12-07
    Number of posts : 438

Boot repairs - resoled boots? Empty Boot repairs - resoled boots?

Post by Antarmike Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:37 am

I have just acquired these old boots, genuine ABL but they appear to have been repaired/ re soled.  What intrigues me is the new sole is also moulded with ABL. and a date.  

Boot repairs - resoled boots? DSCF7259

Did ABL repair that many boots that they had commisioned soles for repair use?  Obviously so.

How widespread was the practice od re soling botts rather than just issuing a brand new pair?  

Boot repairs - resoled boots? DSCF7260
    Boot repairs - resoled boots? DSCF7261
    Boot repairs - resoled boots? DSCF7262

The heel does not shows ABL in moulding.  Is this a commercial heel or were just the soles ABL marked?

Boot repairs - resoled boots? DSCF7263

Comments welcomed.

Boots appear never to have been worn after they were resoled. Were boots re-soled then put into reserve storage rather than being returned to a unit a appears to be the case with many repaired trousers, smocks etc. Okay for unexpected emegencies but not suiteable for everyday use in normal conditions?
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Name : Andrew
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 1395

Boot repairs - resoled boots? Empty Re: Boot repairs - resoled boots?

Post by Wolverine Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:10 am

I think this used to be pretty common in many armies. I remember seeing a film of a Dutch clothing depot that did that kind of work in the 1960s or 70s.

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:09 am