IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Who can ID this Swiss shoulderpatch?

michelwijnand
    michelwijnand
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Name : Michel Wijnand
    Registration date : 2016-11-09
    Number of posts : 796

Who can ID this Swiss shoulderpatch? Empty Who can ID this Swiss shoulderpatch?

Post by michelwijnand Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:12 pm

Couldn't find this in my Ord.49 list of shoulderpatches so I don't know what it is, probably something that came into existence later but I don't have any later files about such patches...

Who can ID this Swiss shoulderpatch? Dsc06052
    1986USMC
    1986USMC
    Corporal
    Corporal

Name : George Egli
    Registration date : 2015-01-04
    Number of posts : 19

Who can ID this Swiss shoulderpatch? Empty Re: Who can ID this Swiss shoulderpatch?

Post by 1986USMC Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:02 am

It is for the Territorial Service headquarters and was part of the patches issued in 1949

Objekt: Territorialstäbe / Etat major territorial
    Ordonnanz: 1949
    michelwijnand
    michelwijnand
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Who can ID this Swiss shoulderpatch? Empty Re: Who can ID this Swiss shoulderpatch?

Post by michelwijnand Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:28 pm

Thanks, but are you sure? The shape of the patch indicate it is some sort of specialization insignia, instead of a type of arms or services which are diamondshaped
    1986USMC
    1986USMC
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by 1986USMC Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:32 am

Yes, you are correct the shields are specialty badges worn on the upper left arm. The diamonds indicate the branch/arm of service and are sewn in pairs on the collars.  The Swiss crosses on orange background are for the general staff/headquarters of the Territorial Service.  

I do not what the requirements were to earn the general staff qualification.  I grew up in Switzerland and was drafted in the Swiss Army when I was 19.  That was a lifetime ago but even back then there were way too many patches in my opinion.  Anyway hope this helps.

Below are a couple pictures I found on the Pinex militaria on-line store.  You can find more details and a lot of other Swiss patches at the following webpages:
    https://pinex.ch/fr/spezialistenabzeichen-schweizer-armee
    https://pinex.ch/fr/generalstab-territorial-einheiten-kragenspiegel-schweizer-armee#&gid=1&pid=1

Who can ID this Swiss shoulderpatch? Che_sp10
    Who can ID this Swiss shoulderpatch? Che_co10
    1986USMC
    1986USMC
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by 1986USMC Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:48 am

Also found a 1950 edition of the 1949 Ordnance.  It included a page on the Territorial Service patches.  
    Who can ID this Swiss shoulderpatch? Che_se10
    michelwijnand
    michelwijnand
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post by michelwijnand Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:22 am

Thanks! This fills a gap in the partial 1950 documentation that I have
    1986USMC
    1986USMC
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by 1986USMC Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:18 pm

Here is a link from the Swiss Army museum with a lot of documentation on the different Swiss uniform and insignia manuals.
    https://www.armeemuseum.ch/wissensdatenbank/ordonnanzen-ueber-uniformen-und-abzeichen-der-eidgenoessischen-armee/

Sanglier likes this post

Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Name : Andrew
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 1395

Post by Wolverine Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:13 pm

Aside from personal equipment, I don't collect Swiss stuff, but that museum page certainly has a wealth of useful information.
    michelwijnand
    michelwijnand
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post by michelwijnand Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:40 pm

Thanks for that, that is an amazing page, I've now saved so many files from there already, and gained some nice insights about how to pack my 90's equipment together for when I take photos of it!
    1986USMC
    1986USMC
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by 1986USMC Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:11 am

Glad you enjoyed it. There is also a link where you can buy quite a few items.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 6:46 pm