IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
mylle
Necrolust
CollectinSteve
ripcord
8 posters

Early Spanish Camouflage uniforms.

ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2012-12-29
    Number of posts : 2771

Early Spanish Camouflage uniforms. Empty Early Spanish Camouflage uniforms.

Post by ripcord Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:06 am

This is a work in progress and mostly correct, but for some web gear.

Mannequin in the center wears an M59, AKA, Pentomic uniform, and shows the very rare camouflage web gear that is correct for these uniforms.
    M59s were the first Spanish Camouflage uniforms ever issued and are fully reversible from Brown dominant to Green dominant. M59s were mostly used by COE ( Spec Ops Companies ).

The other 2 uniforms are both M61s and are parachutist uniforms. M61s are cut nearly identical to WWII German Splinter camo parachutist uniforms.
    M61s were manufactured in both Green and Brown dominant colors that are essentially the same colors as the 2 patterns used on M59s.

Green dominant M61 uniforms were discontinued after a few years. Brown dominant M61s continued to be manufactured until the mid to late 1960s, and worn well into the 1980s.
    All early M61s had aluminum zippers. When Green dominant M61s were discontinued, Brown dominant M61s were slightly modified with brown or green coated metal zippers.

Early Spanish Camouflage uniforms. 20221213

Early Spanish Camouflage uniforms. 20221212

Early Spanish Camouflage uniforms. 28605315

Early Spanish Camouflage uniforms. 20220615

hawkeye4771, Dom Hyde, steeler, TennoHeikaNate and Collectorpete like this post

CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6888

Early Spanish Camouflage uniforms. Empty Re: Early Spanish Camouflage uniforms.

Post by CollectinSteve Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:23 pm

Of course you know I love everything about your post Wink Glad to see a particular belt in all of its glory! The poncho is a very nice touch.

Steve

ripcord likes this post

Necrolust
    Necrolust
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Name : Rumen Simeonov
    Registration date : 2010-08-15
    Number of posts : 226

Post by Necrolust Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:07 pm

Very Nice...

ripcord likes this post

ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:08 pm

Thanks Steve,

As I said, a work in progress. Still need more proper web gear for the two outer mannequins ( M61s ).
    Green dominant M61 is set up as an Armada Marine with Mauser rifle type belt and ammo pouches.
    Web gear on the Brown dominant is more correct for later brown dominant M61s with painted metal zippers and M69/M76  uniforms.

The Pentomic camo belt was not easy to find.  I am grateful for your help with the matching ammo pouches ( which, like the belt, are really hard to find ).

I do have to make one correction. M61 uniforms are cut similar to  Post WWII German Splinter Para uniforms, not WWII German Splinter Para uniforms.

The following photos are quite rare. I've seldom seen M59s worn with the Green dominant side. Also, notice Parachute wings above the Commando badge on second photo.

Early Spanish Camouflage uniforms. S-l50016                                                                                             Early Spanish Camouflage uniforms. S-l50017

Early Spanish Camouflage uniforms. S-l16052
    mylle
    mylle
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Name : Alex
    Registration date : 2013-10-18
    Number of posts : 2283

Post by mylle Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:16 pm

Very nice display. Well done. Its always nice to have complete setups.

ripcord likes this post

TennoHeikaNate
    TennoHeikaNate
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Name : Nate
    Registration date : 2013-10-16
    Number of posts : 310

Post by TennoHeikaNate Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:19 pm

Incredible display rip! Head to toe uniforms and you even have the webbing, the camo Pendomic webbing is a very nice touch.
    I saw a couple of pouches and a belt in that camo webbing years ago and passed them up because I thought they were old commercial hunting things, still kicking myself over that!
    Even the helmet covers I've seen are starting to fetch fairly high prices these days.
    MyZone
    MyZone
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Registration date : 2011-07-03
    Number of posts : 127

Post by MyZone Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:13 am

Very nice showing ~

MZ♠

ripcord likes this post

ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:24 am

TennoHeikaNate wrote: Incredible display rip! Head to toe uniforms and you even have the webbing, the camo Pentomic webbing is a very nice touch.
    I saw a couple of pouches and a belt in that camo webbing years ago and passed them up because I thought they were old commercial hunting things, still kicking myself over that!
    Even the helmet covers I've seen are starting to fetch fairly high prices these days.

Thank you. Been working on this display for quite some time. The Pentomic webbing is so very difficult to source these days, but it was worth the effort.
    Shame you missed out on a chance to get some for yourself but can certainly understand why you passed on it some time ago.
    I've had the suspenders for decades, but the other items, especially the pistol belt, are now nearly impossible to source. I've had some luck, and some help from a couple of other collectors.

TennoHeikaNate likes this post

Dom Hyde
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 11

Post by Dom Hyde Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:04 pm

Very nice!

ripcord likes this post

CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:42 am

[quote="ripcord"]
    TennoHeikaNate wrote:
    I've had the suspenders for decades, but the other items, especially the pistol belt, are now nearly impossible to source.  I've had some luck, and some help from a couple of other collectors.

Heh... I got my first set of suspenders in the 1990s free from a friend who gave up trying to find anything else. I managed to pick up some pouches somewhere after, but then nothing until I got a nearly complete set. Spare pouches when to you, extra suspenders still kicking around. Maybe someone will get lucky and find only a belt so I can offload the suspenders Smile

Fantastic set of pics you posted here! Thanks for that.

Steve

ripcord likes this post

ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:40 am

CollectinSteve wrote:
    ripcord wrote:
    I've had the suspenders for decades, but the other items, especially the pistol belt, are now nearly impossible to source.  I've had some luck, and some help from a couple of other collectors.

Heh... I got my first set of suspenders in the 1990s free from a friend who gave up trying to find anything else.  I managed to pick up some pouches somewhere after, but then nothing until I got a nearly complete set.  Spare pouches when to you, extra suspenders still kicking around.  Maybe someone will get lucky and find only a belt so I can offload the suspenders Smile

Fantastic set of pics you posted here!  Thanks for that.

Steve
    [/quote]

Those pesky suspenders are not that difficult to source but forget about the belts.  One Spanish seller wanted $200 for one last year. He actually offered 2 for $400. He was greedy. Was selling them for a buddy and wanted too much.
    I can understand wanting a piece of the action, but at least be reasonable. His buddy reached out with a reasonable offer and I was happy to grab one.  Steve, you lucked out big time with your Pentomic pick up.  Almost stole it...Laughing

OK, so here are 2 later M61.  One has a tag dated 1967 ; the other has no tag but does have a Para regimental stamp . I believe it is of similar vintage. Both are in excellent conditions.

These have metal ( other than aluminum ) painted zippers.  One on left has double green zippers throughout ( smock and pants ), the other has single brown zippers throughout.  They have been with me since 1985...

Early Spanish Camouflage uniforms. 20230118

Dom Hyde and TennoHeikaNate like this post

ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:59 pm

M69

Early Spanish Camouflage uniforms. 20230139

Dom Hyde and TennoHeikaNate like this post

ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:52 pm

M76s.  Later 2nd type . One, with flag, no sleeve pocket , one with neither.

Trousers have 4 cargoes . 2 thigh high, 2 smaller below thigh pocket.  Also button up belt loops.

M76s were intended to be exclusively a Legion Camouflage uniform.   It was the second Legion exclusive camouflage uniform to have been issued.
    The first was the M73 Desert pattern.  Army COE also used the M73 pattern, but they were cut distinctively different from Legion M73.
    The Legion was wearing their M73s as early as 1972 . Army version were finally issued in 1975  to only one COE company.  

M76s were worn well into the '80 and beyond. They were worn simultaneously with M69s until M82 was introduced as a general uniform for all forces.  

Early Spanish Camouflage uniforms. 20230220

Early Spanish Camouflage uniforms. Soldie15
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:08 am

Here's a question I don't think I've ever had answered or I've forgotten.  There are two types of brown amoeba trousers; 2 leg pockets and 4 leg pockets.  What is the history of each in terms of M69, M76, COE, and Legion?

It might be in Santiago's book, but as I said my Spanish isn't what it used to be so if it's in there I haven't spotted it.

Steve
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:38 pm

M69 ( Green dominant ) on left. M69 were issued in both Brown Dominant and Green Dominant. There is no difference in the 2 M69 types except for the colors

M76 on right. No M76 Green version exists.

M69 have 2 leg cargo pockets and 2 rear pockets, sown down belt loops, and pointy butt reinforcement   Cargo and rear pockets are both fastened by 2 buttons .

M76 have 4 cargo pockets all on the legs (2 large, and 2 smaller ), button down belt loops, and rounded butt reinforcement.  Larger cargoes have 4 smallish buttons while smaller cargoes have 2.

Waist closure on M76 is a more elaborate affair than the simpler M69 waist closure ( see photos ).  No hand pockets in either type.

Early Spanish Camouflage uniforms. 20230223

Early Spanish Camouflage uniforms. 20230224

Early Spanish Camouflage uniforms. 20230225

Dom Hyde, TennoHeikaNate and mylle like this post

CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:20 pm

Awesome! Thanks for the details. I checked my sets and am relieved that they are all properly matched.

BTW, that is a really minty mint set of green M69 you have there! The ones I've handled have been distinctly more like the brown one on the right -> faded.

Steve
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:59 pm

CollectinSteve wrote:Awesome!  Thanks for the details.  I checked my sets and am relieved that they are all properly matched.

BTW, that is a really minty mint set of green M69 you have there!  The ones I've handled have been distinctly more like the brown one on the right -> faded.

Steve

My pleasure. These early patterns are very special to me. I try to learn as much as possible .  

The Green dominant M69 really does pop ..  Blouse was a rescue from a Thai ragmill;  trousers and cap came directly from Spain.  All buttons present ! Not perfectly matching, but that is the way some were worn.

I like the way colors are still relatively bright despite level of fade on those M76 trousers.

Early Spanish Camouflage uniforms. 20230150

Dom Hyde likes this post

ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:30 pm

So we end this with the beginning..

With an M59 and two M61s, the first and second types. The second type in two distinctive patterns. M61s both have aluminum zippers with leather pulls, indicating early production.

One thing to notice is that the usual light green color found in brown dominant patterns has turned to a yellowish or transparent color in this brown dominant M61 .
    This is almost certainly due to improper dyeing in that particular batch. Funny how other colors remain strong.

Early Spanish Camouflage uniforms. 20230238

Early Spanish Camouflage uniforms. 20230239

Early Spanish Camouflage uniforms. 20230240

TennoHeikaNate
    TennoHeikaNate
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post by TennoHeikaNate Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:02 pm

Thank you Rip and Steve for your recent info in these threads, I'm fairly unfamiliar with Spanish uniforms in general so this recent discussions have been a huge help to me in recognizing the different models and changes throughout. I now know the set I have is an M-69!
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:49 pm

TennoHeikaNate wrote:Thank you Rip and Steve for your recent info in these threads, I'm fairly unfamiliar with Spanish uniforms in general so this recent discussions have been a huge help to me in recognizing the different models and changes throughout. I now know the set I have is an M-69!

Well, thank you for your comments. Good to know our rantings have done some good. I have had a slight advantage when it comes to early Spanish as I got started early, when some of these uniforms were still in use.. Very Happy
    Also have to credit Santiago for the great info in his book. I did learn quite a bit from it, but also picked up some things here and there.. And of course, it helps to have the subject matter on hand.

Early Spanish was my first introduction to foreign patterns and remains my overall favorite.

Well, now that you know, please do show off your M69.. I am fairly certain I can speak for Steve when it comes to our curiosity of anything early Spanish...
    TennoHeikaNate
    TennoHeikaNate
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post by TennoHeikaNate Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:32 pm

The Spanish patterns are certainly very eye catching, they do have some neat field equipment and weapons as well. I'll do a thread on a small lot of Spanish stuff sometime.
    In the meantime, here's my M-69. I got it from a man who found it in a house he bought that was left behind by the previous owner, so unfortunately I don't have any background on it.

Early Spanish Camouflage uniforms. Spanis11
    Early Spanish Camouflage uniforms. Spanis12
    Early Spanish Camouflage uniforms. Spanis10
    Early Spanish Camouflage uniforms. Spanis15
    Early Spanish Camouflage uniforms. Spanis14
    Early Spanish Camouflage uniforms. Spanis13

ripcord and beefheart like this post

ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:06 pm

That is M69 for sure.   Looks like one piece in each of the 2 M69 patterns.

Neither is easy to find anymore, but you may be able to find a green shirt on one of the Spanish eBay type sites.  

Good story. I like to hear about lucky finds in old houses. I've found a few good things myself..

ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:43 pm

Our friend Ivan sent me some photos of the Spanish Airborne Brigade Museum .

Early M61s.

Early Spanish Camouflage uniforms. Thumbn29

Early Spanish Camouflage uniforms. Thumbn28

CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:15 pm

I want those arm ranks Wink

Steve
    Col Kurtz
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2011-01-16
    Number of posts : 36

Post by Col Kurtz Mon May 22, 2023 11:59 am

I'm in shock.. I still can't react after seeing all these beautiful camo uniforms. Some impossible to find in such good condition today.
    Very good and clarifying information to easily/quiclky distinguish the different models that exist, among the paratroopers, the special operations and the foreign legion. Which can be very confusing when you start in this field. Awesome job ripcord!

ripcord likes this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:15 am