IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Mystery uniform.

ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2012-12-29
    Number of posts : 2781

Mystery uniform. Empty Mystery uniform.

Post by ripcord Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:43 pm

This one has been with me a long time. I am still uncertain of it's pedigree. No date of production ( although definitely an '80s vintage ) and no nomenclature on this one.
    Looks to perhaps be an attempt at resurrecting another Spanish mystery uniform ( M65 ) about which we at least know the designation ( but not too much else).  
    It also looks similar to one of the 2 Lightweight Green dominant uniforms that appeared in the mid '80s, but that uniform is much simpler in construction.

Blouse seems to follow the classic TAP56 design, and again, looks similar to one of the Green Dominant Lightweights.
    Trousers seem to follow old world tailoring, especially the hand and rear pockets, which are made from separate material and are sown into the waistband like old tailored European trousers.

A few years ago, I rescued the field jacket from one of the Thai rag merchants, and not too long ago, the same merchant had a lightweight shirt in the same pattern which went to another buyer.

Here it goes..

Mystery uniform. 20230241

Mystery uniform. 20230243

Mystery uniform. 20230244

Necrolust, Col Kurtz and TennoHeikaNate like this post

CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6906

Mystery uniform. Empty Re: Mystery uniform.

Post by CollectinSteve Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:29 am

Very interesting. I agree it appears to be mimicking the M65, but using established TAP56 tailoring. Since the latter is a pattern that is pretty widely used, it is not surprising to see it. The M65, however, is quite different in detail. I just grabbed mine to remind myself of the differences. I also forgot that mine is pictured in Santiago's book Wink

We do know that the Spanish had a green Amoeba uniform made in this pattern, probably for recruiting/formal uses. Maybe they had yours commissioned at the same time for something similar? For sure the Amoeba one came with hood and swallow tail hat as well.

I grabbed my TAP56 Amoeba uniform and it looks the same as yours, including the details you noted with the trousers. Mine jacket also came with jump wings and blank name badge, though of course they could have been added by someone. In fact, looking at it now there are signs of previous two badges having been removed. Mine is used with military stamps, so removed badges isn't a surprise to see.

The light jacket, on the other hand, follows no pattern I can think of. My suspicion is it is commercial, perhaps made from leftover cloth from the above.

Steve

Necrolust likes this post

mylle
    mylle
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Name : Alex
    Registration date : 2013-10-18
    Number of posts : 2283

Post by mylle Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:24 pm

The grandfather of italian vegetato? Laughing Cool piece.
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:52 pm

mylle wrote:The grandfather of italian vegetato? Laughing  Cool piece.

That would be the one on the right.. Thanks..

Mystery uniform. 20230245

Necrolust, Col Kurtz and TennoHeikaNate like this post

ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:20 pm

CollectinSteve wrote:Very interesting.  I agree it appears to be mimicking the M65, but using established TAP56 tailoring.  Since the latter is a pattern that is pretty widely used, it is not surprising to see it.  The M65, however, is quite different in detail.  I just grabbed mine to remind myself of the differences.  I also forgot that mine is pictured in Santiago's book Wink

We do know that the Spanish had a green Amoeba uniform made in this pattern, probably for recruiting/formal uses.  Maybe they had yours commissioned at the same time for something similar?  For sure the Amoeba one came with hood and swallow tail hat as well.

I grabbed my TAP56 Amoeba uniform and it looks the same as yours, including the details you noted with the trousers.  Mine jacket also came with jump wings and blank name badge, though of course they could have been added by someone.  In fact, looking at it now there are signs of previous two badges having been removed.  Mine is used with military stamps, so removed badges isn't a surprise to see.

The light jacket, on the other hand, follows no pattern I can think of.  My suspicion is it is commercial, perhaps made from leftover cloth from the above.

Steve

Yes, our M65s are most likely a small unit purchase. Santiago 's research indicates that it may have been used by cadre of the commando mountaineering school.
    The only in use photo I've ever seen of that particular cut and pattern is found in an old obscure Spanish Special Ops book, worn by an COE Captain. So we at least know it was associated with COE ( Special ops companies ).
    Mine is slightly different than yours; it looks like it has been modified by removing the front buttons, but both came with that same patch which tells me they came from the same source...

We will probably never know what this and the lightweight uniforms really are, but it's cool that you have confirmed the cut is similar to your Lightweight TAP .. I traded my 2 Lightweights long ago and just do not remember all details.

The field jacket looks like a snazzy copy of US M65 . Probably a hunter's jacket made of surplus cloth.
    Col Kurtz
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2011-01-16
    Number of posts : 36

Post by Col Kurtz Mon May 22, 2023 12:17 pm

Incredible... you never stop surprising with something that enters and then collapses all the schemes of the evolution of the species. And then we have to rewrite the history of spanish uniforms.

A photo provided to me by a friend, and should match the green camo suit shown. According to him, this should be the M-65 suit from the Mountain and Special Operations School.

*I correct, my memory fails me. Always according to him; his denomination should be model M-62*

Mystery uniform. Coe-1211

ripcord likes this post

Col Kurtz
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2011-01-16
    Number of posts : 36

Post by Col Kurtz Mon May 22, 2023 12:36 pm

Other reference pics in low quality, that we could attribute, never confirm, that they are of the suit shown in the thread:

Mystery uniform. Coe-1217
    Mystery uniform. Coe-1216
    Mystery uniform. Coe-1215

ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Mon May 22, 2023 1:18 pm

Wow.. Great photos. Low quality means nothing when the images are so very rare, like these...

Thanks for posting them..
    tlundberg1
    tlundberg1
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Registration date : 2014-04-03
    Number of posts : 397

Post by tlundberg1 Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:05 pm

Another variety of this pattern, perhaps
    It is definitely styled to mimic an M62, but the zippers on the pockets are exposed (also horizontal on the chest instead of vertical) and it is much shorter

Mystery uniform. 53634248698_9a06c35f41_b

Mystery uniform. 53634248703_2daa668c99_b

TennoHeikaNate likes this post

ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:41 pm

Lovely pattern.. It does resemble M62 somewhat. Another mystery..

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:47 pm