IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Belgian "Pixie" Tank Suit

Camonut314
    Camonut314
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Registration date : 2011-12-12
    Number of posts : 399

Belgian "Pixie" Tank Suit Empty Belgian "Pixie" Tank Suit

Post by Camonut314 Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:02 pm

Hi all!

Been a while since I posted any of my own pieces, I know. I guess I just haven't been able to get anything that can compare to the seemingly endless carousel of beautiful uniforms coming in from this group's more veteran contributors. But in this case, I was tasked by a friend to find out more about this Belgian tank suit he's had floating around for a while. It had been passed around his reenacting group as a substitute for an authentic WWII British "Pixie" tanker suit. (Needless to say, this was in the days before the ABL/Dutch suits got scarce, and reproductions of the British suits were non-existent). It's in an incredibly large size (my friend is 6'3" and when he was a little thinner around the middle it fit him well [without BD underneath, however]) and in pretty darn good shape, considering it was used by a bunch of reenactors! About the only real detractor is the typical blackening (I assume due to the semi-waterproof coating?) on the arms; all the elastic is still springy and the metal hardware is still shiny. And most amazingly- to me, at any rate- it still has the internal suspenders!

Overall construction is very robust and almost identical to the British suit- were there any differences? I have seen earlier examples, the earliest being 1949 (and did the tags change? I notice this one says "AB-BL" unlike the more typical "ABL" that seems to be universal in Belgian surplus. Were any of these actually by UK manufacturing? Or were they all Belgian made, once the surplus British suits ran out? I have one of the British camouflage Pixie suits, dated 1944, so I can't compare to see if the canvas-like material is the same as the British Khaki version. MOreover, I don't have enough knowledge of the British suits to know if they had standard hardware or if there were variations.

I scoured the forum looking for information on these tanker suits, but couldn't find much apart from the odd, oblique reference, so do forgive my ignorance if these are too common to comment on. To me, I have always loved the overengineered nature of these suits, both the original British and the later Dutch/Belgian made examples, despite their many obvious faults.

And if this piece does turn out to be of some interest to someone here, my friend has given me authority to negotiate a potential deal; both of us would prefer to see this (I think) fine example at home among an appreciative collection.

Belgian "Pixie" Tank Suit 20230610

Belgian "Pixie" Tank Suit 20230611

Belgian "Pixie" Tank Suit 20230612

Belgian "Pixie" Tank Suit 20230613

Belgian "Pixie" Tank Suit 20230623

Belgian "Pixie" Tank Suit 20230614

Belgian "Pixie" Tank Suit 20230615

Belgian "Pixie" Tank Suit 20230616

Belgian "Pixie" Tank Suit 20230617

Belgian "Pixie" Tank Suit 20230618

Belgian "Pixie" Tank Suit 20230619

Belgian "Pixie" Tank Suit 20230620

Belgian "Pixie" Tank Suit 20230621

Belgian "Pixie" Tank Suit 20230622

TennoHeikaNate, beefheart and Lizardgrunt like this post

M55q
    M55q
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2017-04-20
    Number of posts : 50

Belgian "Pixie" Tank Suit Empty Re: Belgian "Pixie" Tank Suit

Post by M55q Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:21 pm

I have a certain "sweet spot" for these tank suits.
    I have several British - both the "pixie" variant and the lighter version.
    The Belgian copy looks nice - a bit darker in colour?

But as far as I can see the "oil-cloth" membrane in the arms has fused with the outer garment and "bled through" the fabric.
    Something I have noticed the Belgians para-smocks also suffer from.

Camonut314
    Camonut314
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Registration date : 2011-12-12
    Number of posts : 399

Post by Camonut314 Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:01 pm

Thanks! Strange thing to add: I just talked with my friend today, and he confessed that when he got the coverall, it was actually still in the paper wrapping, and the wrapping had a label saying "Made in England"; so that solves one question, but brings so many others Laughing
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6907

Post by CollectinSteve Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:03 am

Ah, so you are saying this was made in the UK for a Belgian contract? AMS is on some of my early para smocks as well. In fact, I just checked and my 1952 para set (smock and trousers) have the same AMS labels as yours. Funny, I had not noticed the AB-BL mark either! That was the earlier nomenclature (Armand Belgique/Belgisch Leger) before it turned to ABL (Arme Belgique Legere).

I also have one of the WW2 dated Pixie coveralls in brush camo. It's a complicated piece of clothing, that is for sure!

Steve

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:58 am