IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unknown Rucksack - which country and era?

Antarmike
    Antarmike
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Name : Mike Fincher
    Registration date : 2016-12-07
    Number of posts : 438

Unknown Rucksack - which country and era?  Empty Unknown Rucksack - which country and era?

Post by Antarmike Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:19 pm

I was given custody of this rucksack by a widow who said her husband had used this whilst serving overseas in the British Army.

She said he had always told her it was WW2 and reissued to him post war.

I believe she said he was in Malaya when he was issued with this. (Malayan Emergency??)

She has asked me to try and pass it on to someone who would appreciate it and look after it.   It needs some re-stithing to one of the leather straps.

I am going to a large UK Militaray show this week-end and I am hoping I can find a re-enactment group who represent those troops that may have used this type of framed rucksack.

Any help in identifying who might have used it and when would be very much appreciated.

Unknown Rucksack - which country and era?  DSCF9171
    Unknown Rucksack - which country and era?  DSCF9172
    Unknown Rucksack - which country and era?  DSCF9172
    Unknown Rucksack - which country and era?  DSCF9174
    Unknown Rucksack - which country and era?  DSCF9175
    Unknown Rucksack - which country and era?  DSCF9176
    Unknown Rucksack - which country and era?  DSCF9179
    Antarmike
    Antarmike
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Name : Mike Fincher
    Registration date : 2016-12-07
    Number of posts : 438

Unknown Rucksack - which country and era?  Empty Re: Unknown Rucksack - which country and era?

Post by Antarmike Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:49 pm

I have found similar described as Original early WW2 tan example of the British Army Bergen Rucksack in good condition.

This example has a beautiful original union jack flag stitched to the front pocket and is date stamped to 1942, manufacturer TTC, with crows foot symbol. These backpacks came into issue with the British Army in 1941 and saw use with the Commandos as well as the SAS amongst others. This example is the earlier tan colour used up until the green version superseded it in 1944 and saw use throughout the entire war.

There are no date stamps or other markings which is common to find with very early production examples. This example features the standard black painted metal frame which is attached to the canvas body of the bag with leather tabs which all appear to be intact.

However pictured example of bergen rucksack I have found all have woven straps to close the pockets and this uses leather straps?

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:20 pm