IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Belgian 'Jigsaw' pattern combat jacket

filupe
    filupe

Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 1082

Belgian 'Jigsaw' pattern combat jacket Empty Belgian 'Jigsaw' pattern combat jacket

Post by filupe Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:44 am

Belgian 'Jigsaw' pattern combat jacket 100_2286

Belgian 'Jigsaw' pattern combat jacket 100_2288
    DS9ACU
    DS9ACU
    Officer Candidate
    Officer Candidate

Registration date : 2009-07-15
    Number of posts : 530

Belgian 'Jigsaw' pattern combat jacket Empty Re: Belgian 'Jigsaw' pattern combat jacket

Post by DS9ACU Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:23 am

just got that jacket but its denim for some reason. Do you anything about it?
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6906

Belgian 'Jigsaw' pattern combat jacket Empty Re: Belgian 'Jigsaw' pattern combat jacket

Post by CollectinSteve Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:26 pm

The Belgians made a ton of different Denison style smocks over the years, plus the earlier 1958 canvas type material jacket (two models of that style). The material changed over time as did the details. Now all Belgian soldier wear the same uniforms, therefore Denison style smocks are no longer issued. Technically they aren't even supposed to be worn, even by Para/Commandos.

I did a quick count and it appears I have 4 different types of Jigsaw smocks. I've had probably 10 or so over the years, and only kept unique examples. The Belgians tended to make periodic purchases instead of regular annual purchases. Better pricing that way. I'm sure there are more variants out there that I haven't got a hold of yet.

The Belgians are very nice people when it comes to dating things. Unless a tag is missing there should be a date to know where a particular variant fits into the big picture.

Steve
    DS9ACU
    DS9ACU
    Officer Candidate
    Officer Candidate

Registration date : 2009-07-15
    Number of posts : 530

Post by DS9ACU Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:46 pm

yeah it says 1989 on the back of the tag
    Camo_fiend
    Camo_fiend

Name : Ben
    Registration date : 2009-07-22
    Number of posts : 2705

Post by Camo_fiend Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:33 pm

Nice smock! I've got a newer one in this pattern myself.

See my collection online: http://benscamo.webs.com/
    flashesandovals
    flashesandovals
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Registration date : 2014-07-02
    Number of posts : 88

Post by flashesandovals Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:07 am

filupe wrote:Belgian 'Jigsaw' pattern combat jacket 100_2286

Belgian 'Jigsaw' pattern combat jacket 100_2288

This particular type and pattern was exclusively issued to Para-Commando units between the early 80's and mid 90's when all army units moved to the current cammo uniforms.
    Before that, all non-para units wore plain green fatigues.
    In certain recon/recce platoons in Infantry and Armor units the wear of cammo was tolerated, but none was issued. It was up to the individual to procure it.
    flashesandovals
    flashesandovals
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Registration date : 2014-07-02
    Number of posts : 88

Post by flashesandovals Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:11 am

You would however sometimes see individual non-paras wear them when assigned to e.g. NATO's AMF staff positions to "blend in" when on exercise or parades with assigned Para-Commando units...
    The practice was never accepted or tolerated by the Paras and caused the occasional verbal and physical agression.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:35 am