IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
panzerwerk
CollectinSteve
Mk1rceme
7 posters

Early Belgian Denison Airborne Jacket

Mk1rceme
    Mk1rceme
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Name : Dale
    Registration date : 2009-11-22
    Number of posts : 345

Early Belgian Denison Airborne Jacket Empty Early Belgian Denison Airborne Jacket

Post by Mk1rceme Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:18 pm

Found this nice example recently. Since I can't afford a WWII-era example, this will have to do. These Belgian jackets can still be found fairly cheap, and most are large sizes like this one.

Early Belgian Denison Airborne Jacket Front11

Early Belgian Denison Airborne Jacket Rear11

Early Belgian Denison Airborne Jacket Inside11

Early Belgian Denison Airborne Jacket Tag11
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6906

Early Belgian Denison Airborne Jacket Empty Re: Early Belgian Denison Airborne Jacket

Post by CollectinSteve Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:34 pm

Hmmm... that one has some interesting features. I'm not able to check mine out at the moment, but I'd say there are six features that are inconsistent with Belgian Army issues smocks:

1. Shoulder lining.
    2. Internal pockets or some sort of lining in gray cloth?
    3. Size tag at neck.
    4. Two rows of snaps for the crotch flap instead of three.
    5. Narrow crotch flap instead of wide.
    6. Hard edges on the brown shapes.

Very interesting piece though. I've never seen a commercial Denison style smock in Belgian brushstroke.

Steve
    panzerwerk
    panzerwerk
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Steve Hoeger
    Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 3068

Early Belgian Denison Airborne Jacket Empty Re: Early Belgian Denison Airborne Jacket

Post by panzerwerk Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:46 pm

Steve do you think it could have been a custom tailor job for deployment to Africa ?
    Mk1rceme
    Mk1rceme
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post by Mk1rceme Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:18 pm

There is also some of that green lining on the rear at the bottom. If you look below the snaps on the second pic you can see the stitching for it. The gray material is two inside pockets. Too me, it all looks added on...especially the gray pockets. That is the only tag I could find anywhere. Not even a ghost where one may have been...could be under the green lining though.

Dale
    Mk1rceme
    Mk1rceme
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post by Mk1rceme Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:24 pm

Also, the thing I don't get about the tag is that the jacket is not a size 56 by no means. I would put it more at a size 46.
    vonstuck
    vonstuck
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2010-03-30
    Number of posts : 3395

Early Belgian Denison Airborne Jacket Empty Belgium brush strokes

Post by vonstuck Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:21 am

Early Belgian Denison Airborne Jacket 100_4127

Early Belgian Denison Airborne Jacket 100_4128

Early Belgian Denison Airborne Jacket 100_4129

Early Belgian Denison Airborne Jacket 100_4130

Early Belgian Denison Airborne Jacket 100_4131

Early Belgian Denison Airborne Jacket 100_4132

Hood smock,Civil fabric ?

Early Belgian Denison Airborne Jacket 100_4133

Early Belgian Denison Airborne Jacket 100_4134

Early Belgian Denison Airborne Jacket 100_4135

Early Belgian Denison Airborne Jacket 100_4136

Compare

Early Belgian Denison Airborne Jacket 100_4137
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:17 pm

I don't know what to make of the British Windproof style smocks or the one with the full zipper front. I have a couple of these too and they are all very worn, like yours. The designs of these various smocks are not the same. Some have 1970s+ buttons on them, others have 1950s/60s buttons. Some of the cloth/pattern/colors appears to be identical to genuine issue, some not. Workmanship is something very good, sometimes quite bad.

They also appear in European 2nd hand clothing shops (I got one of mine from Hungary!), so I do not think they were African contract pieces. If they were I doubt they would have come back to Europe like that. I also have yet to find any signs of them being in Belgian Army warehouses.

My guess is the ones that are very similar to Army issue, with high quality manufacturing, were designed for "private purchase". Especially in the 1960s and early 1970s when the Belgian Army was not purchasing (many) new uniforms. So if a soldier did not find his size, or a good condition, uniform in stock during this period he might have purchased a commercially made item.

The Windproof type is probably just commercial items made by different companies over many different years. Perhaps they were surplus from an African contract, perhaps just using up leftover military cloth.

That's my best guess!

Steve
    kammo-man
    Major
    Major

Registration date : 2010-02-02
    Number of posts : 1086

Post by kammo-man Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:19 pm

Great show of camouflage uniforms here .
    Love the windproof style !!!!
    In a military rag house in LA there must be thousands of pairs of the trousers in bales .
    Over the years I got some nice smocks but they are drying up.
    owen
    3Cmdo

Registration date : 2012-10-11
    Number of posts : 5

Early Belgian Denison Airborne Jacket Empty My unknown Belgian Denison type

Post by 3Cmdo Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:39 am

First post here, just wondering about the origins of this smock I've had for about 12 years now.

Early Belgian Denison Airborne Jacket Photo0212_zps959d33a2
    Early Belgian Denison Airborne Jacket Photo0213_zpsd9555a7f
    Early Belgian Denison Airborne Jacket Photo0214_zpsc47d21e1
    Early Belgian Denison Airborne Jacket Photo0215_zps4d14dbb4
    Early Belgian Denison Airborne Jacket Photo0216_zps4a70821e

As you can see it's not like any others on this thread, first off it has a spacer inserted to make it longer,when this was done, I don't know(different camo as well)
    the top pockets are angled like the British made Denison and it's definitely a quarter zip version.
    The only tag is the small "1"(size, I presume?) there is no evidence of any other labels ever being there.
    Any info will be greatly appreciated.
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:26 pm

Interesting! OK, here's what I can say for sure. This started off as a standard production "Brush Stroke" style Denison smock from the 1970s timeframe. This was the last run they did. Some of the distinguishing characteristics of the late type smock are:

1. Slanted inward chest pockets
    2. OD cloth collar
    3. Brush Stroke cloth, not M&B cloth

There are other differences, but those are the main ones I immediately spot.

As you say, someone lengthened this. No way to tell if it was done while in service or not. It's a very uncommon modification, though I wouldn't say that means much. Interesting the collar has been restitched for some reason.

A size tag in the neck is very unusual. Looks like it was added post-factory. The Belgians did use an abstract size numbering system for quite a while. For some items they kept that system right up into the 1990s. Which lends some evidence that this was reworked while in the military system since I doubt anybody outside the military would have bothered with a tag like that.

Without feeling the cloth used for lengthening, I can't say where it came from. My guess is 1957 manufactured shelter halves. Some of the cloth is for sure 1950s "Moon & Balls" type while some panels look like Brush Stroke. The Belgians didn't care about the differences between the two so that's not a red flag.

Hope that helps!

Steve
    Mk1rceme
    Mk1rceme
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post by Mk1rceme Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:02 pm

Sorry to revive a dead thread here...getting to the point where I need to sell the original denison uniform I posted in this thread. Am I safe to assume it is a mid 60's commercial smock like the one vonstuck posted? Just want to get the facts straight for the listing.

Some more recent pics of the set...

Early Belgian Denison Airborne Jacket 28167310
    Early Belgian Denison Airborne Jacket 27973410
    Early Belgian Denison Airborne Jacket 28056210
    Early Belgian Denison Airborne Jacket 28168210
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:12 pm

Definitely not the same as the commercial one that Gilles posted. Yours is mostly the same as the 1956/1958 model, but with the differences I noted above (7+ years ago... wow!). I don't know why anybody would have made what you have because the Belgians had a bazillion of these in stock. Yours looks quite worn so I'm guessing it's legit, but private purchase of some sort. Do you have a picture of the front to re-post?

Steve
    Mk1rceme
    Mk1rceme
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post by Mk1rceme Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:36 pm

I just have the front pics shown here....or are they not showing up?
    Antarmike
    Antarmike
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Name : Mike Fincher
    Registration date : 2016-12-07
    Number of posts : 438

Post by Antarmike Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:36 am

Excuse my ignorance, but could it possibly be Iraqi?
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:57 pm

Mk1rceme wrote:I just have the front pics shown here....or are they not showing up?

Odd! They're showing up for me just fine now.

It's a head scratcher. Without an official ABL label it appears to be "private purchase" or, less likely, some sort of trials item. I have very little doubt that this is not straight commercial. I also don't think it's Iraqi or other export, but that's only a guess because small contracts might not have gone noticed by collectors.

Steve
    Mk1rceme
    Mk1rceme
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post by Mk1rceme Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:21 pm

Ok thanks. I'll list it as a private purchase smock and trousers and see where it goes.
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:56 pm

When you have it listed I'd appreciate a heads up. I might be interested in bidding.

Steve
    Mk1rceme
    Mk1rceme
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post by Mk1rceme Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:15 pm

CollectinSteve wrote:When you have it listed I'd appreciate a heads up.  I might be interested in bidding.

Steve

Throw me an offer now...you might be surprised. I have no idea on a starting price point yet since I can't find any that have sold recently. Still scouring the internet.

I also have a moons and balls shelter half with accessory pouch. And a hood for the shelter half...to make into a poncho apparently. I haven't figured out how to attach it though.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:04 pm