IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Unknown Bag..Do you know what it is ????

awjandy

Registration date : 2010-02-10
    Number of posts : 1

Unknown Bag..Do you know what it is ???? Empty Unknown Bag..Do you know what it is ????

Post by awjandy Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:00 pm

I was at an estate auction of a military memorabilia collector and bought the item pictured thinking it was a artillery shell carrier or something of the sort since it contained three 40 mm shell casings in it (2 in the main pouch and one on the side that was made into trench art) . When i got home i began to look closer at the pouch and began to question my first assumption.

The bag has a simple shoulder strap with one large compartment and a smaller one on the side. At the bottom of the larger side. is a a ~ 3" round metal plate that looks like it was designed to hold a single object, such as a can or something. On the bottom is a rivet of sorts that holds the plate to the bottom of the pouch to the metal on the inside so that it stays in place.. There are letters on the side but are hardly able to be read. The only ones I can make out are ATSH GA (or 6A) in Yellow stencil. The pouch is a yellowish olive canvas....

I looked it up on Google and eBay and the closest thing to it was old Gas mask pouches, but i am wanting to confirm what it is or at least get close so i can research it deeper.

If anyone can help, I am looking for an actual name for the pouch, approximate era of use, and what Country it might have originated in (not sure if it is USA or not) ???

[img]Unknown Bag..Do you know what it is ???? Img_0114[/img][img]Unknown Bag..Do you know what it is ???? Img_0115[/img][img]Unknown Bag..Do you know what it is ???? Img_0116[/img]
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6906

Unknown Bag..Do you know what it is ???? Empty Re: Unknown Bag..Do you know what it is ????

Post by CollectinSteve Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:04 am

My first guess was a gas mask holder since a filter would fit nicely in that thing, but it's not a design I'm familiar with. I'd guess it isn't US Army issue at the very least. Second thought was it is a tube cover for an 81mm mortar. However, I checked and it appears that the standard covers were leather and not as deep.

If it is a gasmask cover there is probably a cap which has a strap which snaps to the bottom. At least there appears to be something that snaps on.

Steve

Unknown Bag..Do you know what it is ???? Empty Re: Unknown Bag..Do you know what it is ????

Post by Guest Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:49 am

looks like some type of pouch for a radio part due to the yellow numbers on the side
    AndrewA74
    AndrewA74

Name : Andrew
    Registration date : 2009-02-17
    Number of posts : 930

Post by AndrewA74 Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:23 am

I know it's not right but it reminded me of a US Army feed bag for the horses. I'd go with the gas mask to be honest.
    Andrew
    1stDivVet
    1stDivVet
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Fins...
    Registration date : 2009-03-24
    Number of posts : 2561

Post by 1stDivVet Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:18 pm

Looks like a carrying case for a bail out bottle to me. Bottle went into the large part, tube was folded up into the smaller one. The "green apple" would have hung out of the top. Usually, they tie on, but this one looks like it was modified with a strap or sling.. These were used to move around the plane before pressurization too. Used well intio the 60's on some of the older cargo planes that weren't pressurized. Be my best guess anyways without seeing it first hand.

Fins...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:35 am