IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
Philip
Grim Reaper
fourtycoats
7 posters

Sniper suits from around the world

fourtycoats
    fourtycoats
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Registration date : 2010-01-13
    Number of posts : 446

Sniper suits from around the world Empty Sniper suits from around the world

Post by fourtycoats Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:22 pm

I posted some photos of a Canadian Arid cadpat sniper suit on the Canadian forum and was asked to post them here as this area is a bit sparse , so here they are below. I will add photos of the Cadpat temperate suit and of the prototype plain green Canadian sniper suit from 2002 in the next few days. It is interesting to see how the features on the prototype evolved into the cammo production models. I will also add photos of the British, Belgian and other odd sniper suits in the next week or so.

Sniper suits from around the world Img_1617

Sniper suits from around the world Img_1618

Sniper suits from around the world Img_1619

Sniper suits from around the world Img_1620

Sniper suits from around the world Img_1621
    Grim Reaper
    Grim Reaper
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Name : Grim Reaper
    Registration date : 2009-08-25
    Number of posts : 282

Sniper suits from around the world Empty Re: Sniper suits from around the world

Post by Grim Reaper Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:40 pm

Brilliant many thanks fortycoats Very Happy

GR
    fourtycoats
    fourtycoats
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Sniper suits from around the world Empty Canadian Prototype Sniper Suit from 2001

Post by fourtycoats Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:24 am

AS promised. here are some photos of this suit. When I got it, it was new but had not been totally finished. Some buckles and poppers had not been put on and you can see the chalk marks where the foliage loops should have been sewn on. It is beautifully made and I have slightly modified it to use for competitive target rifle shooting as the plain green is more acceptable on some ranges than cammo would be.

Sniper suits from around the world Img_1622Sniper suits from around the world Img_1623Sniper suits from around the world Img_1624
    Sniper suits from around the world Img_1625
    fourtycoats
    fourtycoats
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Sniper suits from around the world Empty CADPAT temperate Sniper suit

Post by fourtycoats Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:37 am

This is identical in construction to the Arid version shown above. It is clearly descended from the prototype with only small alterations made to the sleeve pockets and the padding at knees and elbows made thicker with restraing straps to ensure the correct location.
    Sniper suits from around the world Img_1628Sniper suits from around the world Img_1711
    Sniper suits from around the world Img_1712
    Sniper suits from around the world Img_1713
    fourtycoats
    fourtycoats
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Sniper suits from around the world Empty British Sniper Suit

Post by fourtycoats Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:47 am

This is the classic sniper suit design that has been copied all over the world. The cloth is heavy and the padding on shoulders and elbows is also heavy. Hooks are used on the arms to retain a shooting sling(single or double point). It was developed from the British para smock, with the lower front pockets moved around to the side to make shooting in the prone position more comfortable. and retains many of the original features like the front zip and wooly cuffs.

Sniper suits from around the world Img_1714Sniper suits from around the world Img_1715
    Sniper suits from around the world Img_1716Sniper suits from around the world Img_1717

Just for contrast, here is what would be worn on parade or a dinner! The mess dress is dated 1939 and was made for an officer in the 13th Frontier Field Force, otherwise known as Coke's Rifles. This was a Regiment of the British Army in India which served on the borders between what is now Pakistan and Afghanistan. Nothing has changed!
    Sniper suits from around the world Img_1718Sniper suits from around the world Img_1719

Last edited by fourtycoats on Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
    fourtycoats
    fourtycoats
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Sniper suits from around the world Empty Belgian Sniper Smock

Post by fourtycoats Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:52 am

This is almost identical in design and construction to the British version. The only major difference is that the sling retainer is a canvas loop as opposed to a metal hook.

Sniper suits from around the world Img_1629Sniper suits from around the world Img_1630
    Sniper suits from around the world Img_1631
    Philip
    Philip
    ADMIN MODERATOR
    ADMIN MODERATOR

Registration date : 2009-02-17
    Number of posts : 3122

Post by Philip Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:32 am

Awesome stuff you've got there!

Grim Reaper
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by Grim Reaper Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:20 am

Lovely collection Fortycoats, would appear your interests are similar to mine!!! Very Happy I use to collect anything Rifles or Light Infantry orientated and I think I've got a couple of pics somewhere which I'll scan and upload, Ive still got a set of RGJ No1's to a Sergeant with a Standard 1 Signallers & Anti Tank qualification badges, I'll take some pics and post them.

GR
    Grim Reaper
    Grim Reaper
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by Grim Reaper Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:12 am

By the way the Tunic with the Seal skin busby is that a bugle Majors? Isnt that what the red plume denotes?

GR
    Grim Reaper
    Grim Reaper
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by Grim Reaper Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:16 am

Hang on is the busby Astracan or seal skin difficult to tell........think we're goinh a bit off topic here although these regiments were the original "Snipers" Very Happy
    fourtycoats
    fourtycoats
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Sniper suits from around the world Empty Sniper's other suits!

Post by fourtycoats Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:46 am

The left hand jacket is a bugle major's uniform from the expanded Rifle regiment. The red plume and sleeve endings are a throw back to the KRRC red decorations as opposed to the plain black that the 95th used. The right hand photo is from the 13th Frontier field force(Coke's Rifles) which ahd been influenced by the KRRC back in the latter part of the 19th Century when it was formed. The busby and the whole bugle majors uniform in fact, is of recent manufacture. We are not really off topic because snipers are allowed to wear other clothes when not shooting!
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6959

Post by CollectinSteve Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:26 pm

Nice Canadian contacts, eh? Smile The OD version is quite interesting. All kinds of strange features. I wonder how functional all of them are.

Also, nice find on the Belgian sniper jacket. Only a few hundred of those were made. I got mine around 2003 or 2004 timeframe. I'm not sure if they continued to make them or if it was a limited run (which is what I suspect).

Steve
    Grim Reaper
    Grim Reaper
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by Grim Reaper Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:35 pm

Agh so the BM's is Rifles? How did you manage to get that? Are you a serving Rifles Bugle Major? Very Happy
    Yes indeed the facings are red from KRRC originally, but maybe now a bit from the D&D's and RGBW's too and not forgetting the old Ox & Bucks who although were red coats too were proudly light infantry, in 3RGJ we always had a very proud Black & Green tradition, so much that when we changed from 3to 2 and a red line appeared on our black and green signs people black the red lines out signs were stolen etc etc
    snipers are indeed allowed to wear other clothing .....spot on Wink

GR
    drmatz
    drmatz

Name : danilo matz
    Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 2103

Post by drmatz Mon May 21, 2012 10:38 pm

sniper jacket from the dutch army

Really well made with all sorts of features.
    Sniper suits from around the world P1120115
    Sniper suits from around the world P1120116
    Sniper suits from around the world P1120117
    Sniper suits from around the world P1120118
    Sniper suits from around the world P1120119
    Sniper suits from around the world P1120120
    Sniper suits from around the world P1120121
    Sniper suits from around the world P1120122
    Sniper suits from around the world P1120123
    Sniper suits from around the world P1120128
    Sniper suits from around the world P1120129
    Sniper suits from around the world P1120130
    Sniper suits from around the world P1120124
    Sniper suits from around the world P1120125
    Sniper suits from around the world P1120126
    Sniper suits from around the world P1120127
    Sniper suits from around the world P1120131

http://picasaweb.google.com/danilomatz
    Grim Reaper
    Grim Reaper
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by Grim Reaper Tue May 22, 2012 6:51 am

Really lovely smock you got there buddy

G
    Bury_Dave
    Bury_Dave
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Name : Dave
    Registration date : 2012-02-14
    Number of posts : 822

Post by Bury_Dave Tue May 22, 2012 7:50 am

Damn, that Dutch smock is something isn't it ?!! Very much based on the original Arktis and later KSK smocks with the French FELIN also similar and coming out only this year.

I am very jealous !

Dave
    drmatz
    drmatz

Name : danilo matz
    Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 2103

Post by drmatz Fri May 25, 2012 2:42 pm

i didn't know how well made those smocks are, now i see why they sell for so much money...

http://picasaweb.google.com/danilomatz
    militaryC

Registration date : 2013-01-11
    Number of posts : 1

Post by militaryC Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:10 pm

Canadian military items are really hard to get! Love the CADPAT temperate sniper suit. Buddy of mine has the coat but not the pants. Still kicks ass even though it is not a complete set. Been trying to get my hands on one forever! Smile
    fourtycoats
    fourtycoats
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Sniper suits from around the world Empty Ressurected Belgian Sniper smock

Post by fourtycoats Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:14 am

Whilst wandering through stalls in the recent War and Peace show in the uk, a bit of cammo caught my eye sticking out of a box of metal items. I picked it up and examined it for a while before realising what it was. To begin with, I thought it was a badly cut up commando smock but I then recognised the basic shape and what was missing. It was a "new" sniper smock which had the shoulder pads, both arm pads and one arm sling pad removed. Also removed was  most of the rear lower pocket and flap leaving a ragged hole 30cm across. I bought it for what it was worth as a rag and took it home to ressurect. I had a spare set of UK army sniper pads, shoulder and sleeve, and some spare Belgian cammo material from later uniforms so I got busy with the sewing machine. The new pads were installed, the hole in the back patched up and the sling pad from the right arm was laterally inverted and put on the left arm so as to be used by a right handed shooter.  As you can see, it is now a working shooting smock which is used on the range. The purists will have to forgive the placing of insignia from 3 other countries on it to spice it up!

Sniper suits from around the world <a href=Sniper suits from around the world Dscf1410" />

Sniper suits from around the world <a href=Sniper suits from around the world Dscf1411" />

Sniper suits from around the world <a href=Sniper suits from around the world Dscf1412" />

Sniper suits from around the world <a href=Sniper suits from around the world Dscf1413" />
    fourtycoats
    fourtycoats
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Post by fourtycoats Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:29 pm

An interesting Pencott green Zone sniper oversuit from the Ukraine. Interesting design incorporating a large zipped flap on the front which enables LBE to be carried inside the suit but still be quickly accessed. Also, the pants have PALS/MOLLE webbing on the legs instead of pockets. Not sure this is a good idea.

Sniper suits from around the world <a href=Sniper suits from around the world Dscf1629" />

Sniper suits from around the world <a href=Sniper suits from around the world Dscf1630" />

Sniper suits from around the world <a href=Sniper suits from around the world Dscf1631" />
    fourtycoats
    fourtycoats
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Sniper suits from around the world Empty Briitish MTP sniper smock

Post by fourtycoats Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:46 am

Sniper suits from around the world Dscf1811Sniper suits from around the world Dscf1812

The new MTP sniper smock. Appears to be the same cut and construction as the previous DPM version. Based on the para smock with the lower pockets moved to the side and padding added on the sleeves and shoulders.
    fourtycoats
    fourtycoats
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Sniper suits from around the world Empty Norwegian Sniper suit

Post by fourtycoats Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:30 pm

This is the most purpose built and detailed sniper suit I have seen. Made by NFM but never seen on any of their literature or web sites. Labelled a "sample". I will post more detailed pics in due course but it was well thought out. The front of the pants and the lower front and side pockets are made of cordura. All pockets are zipped and with flaps. It was designed to be used with a cloak so the foliage loops are on the bits that would be outside the cloak,i.e., the back of the legs and  the sleeves. The right hand shoulder is padded and there are sling  retaining loops on each shoulder. The downside to this detail is that the suit is heavy. 4.3 Kg.

.Sniper suits from around the world 79366910
    Sniper suits from around the world 79814410
    Sniper suits from around the world 80019710
    f
    Sniper suits from around the world 80074510
    fourtycoats
    fourtycoats
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Sniper suits from around the world Empty Sniper suit details.

Post by fourtycoats Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:01 am

Here are some pics  of the interesting details built into this sniper suit. Firstly , the left hand sleeve with a covered waterproof panel for range cards etc..Also showing the inner sleeve cuff with thumb hole to cover most of the hands for concealment and warmth
    Sniper suits from around the world Img_1910
    Sniper suits from around the world Img_1911

Next the Right hand shoulder with a panel to insert padding to cushion recoil
    .Sniper suits from around the world Img_1912

The Left hand shoulder showing the ports for comms cables.
    Sniper suits from around the world Img_1913

The inside of the front and side pockets with velcro panels for holding sub divisions such as ammo magazines or pouches.
    Sniper suits from around the world Img_1914

The top of each sleeve has a tape to hold in position a single point rifle sling used to steady the hold in the unsupported prone position.
    Sniper suits from around the world Img_1915

Two views of the back showing pocket layout and another port for a cable or hydration tube.

Sniper suits from around the world Img_1917
    Sniper suits from around the world Img_1916

Padding on the elbows of both sleeves.
    Sniper suits from around the world Img_1918

Trouser pockets and strapped cuffs.
    Sniper suits from around the world Img_1920
    Sniper suits from around the world Img_1921
    Sniper suits from around the world Img_1919

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 07, 2024 6:17 pm