IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Philip
Corpl. Cleaver
6 posters

Desert Shield/Storm set up, Seeking input from Vets

Corpl. Cleaver
    Corpl. Cleaver

Name : Tyler
    Registration date : 2009-02-21
    Number of posts : 323

Desert Shield/Storm set up, Seeking input from Vets Empty Desert Shield/Storm set up, Seeking input from Vets

Post by Corpl. Cleaver Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:51 pm

Okay guys,

Here is my first attempt at a Desert Shield/Storm impression. I would like some input from the guys who were there and see what they think.

At the time this is just a generic impression. When I have time I will finish it off as a Pvt. from the 1st Infantry Division.

Uniform:
    6 color Shirt
    6 color Trousers
    Black web trouser belt
    Jungle Boots
    K-Pot with 6 color Cover and SDW goggles
    6 color Boonie Cap (on pack)

Gear:
    PASGT vest with 6 color cover
    Pistol belt
    Y suspenders
    M-1961 buttpack
    2 M-16 ammo pouches
    2 1qt. Canteens in cases
    2qt. canteen in case
    Jungle 1st Aid Kit in case (on pack)
    M-16 bayonet
    1st aid pouch (on suspenders)
    Leather pocket knife case (on suspenders)
    Gasmask and bag (tied to pistol belt)
    Flashlight (on pack)
    Paracord (on pack)
    Rain Poncho (on pack)

All of the above items are dated pre 1989 except for the 2qt canteen which is 1993 (my bro has my 1987 one)

Note: at this time the uniform is not for reenacting, it is only for display.
    Desert Shield/Storm set up, Seeking input from Vets Goodeo11
    Desert Shield/Storm set up, Seeking input from Vets Goodon11

By the end of the summer I hope to have all the stuff for my ALICE ruck, I still need the shovle with case, 6 color cover for the ruck, sleeping bag and pup tent.

BIG thanks to 1stDivVet, the long talks with him imspired me to start putting this set-up together.
    Fins, thanks for all the help, tips, stories and pics.

Comments? Questions? Input?

Thanks,
    Tyler Cleaver

"Greater love has no man than this, that he lay down his life for a friend." -John 15:13

RIP Lester Scheaffer, KIA September 12th 1944. 29th Infantry Division.

A member of The Ill Tempered Men
    Philip
    Philip
    ADMIN MODERATOR
    ADMIN MODERATOR

Registration date : 2009-02-17
    Number of posts : 3120

Desert Shield/Storm set up, Seeking input from Vets Empty Re: Desert Shield/Storm set up, Seeking input from Vets

Post by Philip Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:55 pm

Looks good but didn't they use ALICE butt packs in Desert Storm?

Corpl. Cleaver

Desert Shield/Storm set up, Seeking input from Vets Empty Re: Desert Shield/Storm set up, Seeking input from Vets

Post by Corpl. Cleaver Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:59 pm

ALICE buttpacks were private purchas. I have talked to guys that used M-61s since they were in the supply system and/or cheaper to buy.

Tyler

"Greater love has no man than this, that he lay down his life for a friend." -John 15:13

AndrewA74
    AndrewA74

Name : Andrew
    Number of posts : 930

Post by AndrewA74 Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:53 pm

What about a helmet band with cat eyes? And shouldn't there be a strap on the gas mask that goes between your legs? Looks pretty good otherwise!
    Andrew

PS: I'm jealous
    Corpl. Cleaver
    Corpl. Cleaver

Post by Corpl. Cleaver Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:56 pm

Andy,
    I need a halmet band, I have one but it is from a grouping and has the guys name on the front.

Yes, there is a strap but I am not using it since the bag is tied to the belt.

Tyler

Camo_fiend
    Camo_fiend

Name : Ben
    Registration date : 2009-07-22
    Number of posts : 2705

Post by Camo_fiend Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:41 pm

You could get away with having the PASGT vest as/is, I have seen many photos of servicemen in Iraq wearing them without the 6-colour cover.

You may want to double-check this, but you might be able to put the right-angle flashlight through the webbing strip and D-ring on one of the shoulder straps of the suspenders. My ROTC instructor (ex 82d airborne infantry) told us to put the lights there when they were issued to us for our night land-nav courses and we weren't using them. I don't know if this was a widespread practice or something his unit implemented, but that was how he always carried his light when wearing that style of loadbearing equipment around us.

See my collection online: http://benscamo.webs.com/
    Corpl. Cleaver
    Corpl. Cleaver

Post by Corpl. Cleaver Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:00 pm

Ben,

the use of the cover varied from unit to unit. I know 2 guys who were in the 1st Id, 1 wore a cover and the other didn't.
    I'm going to keep it on for now, until I founs out which was more common.

Flashlight, yes guys would wear them on the suspenders but can get in the way while rapidly moving the rifle up to fire. They also flop around alot when you run.

To quote USMCRECON from the USMF
    I do have a flashlight on my web gear.[in photo he has flashlight on suspenders] I would never have done this during actual combat but by this point, ground combat was pretty much over and I prefered to have it where I could use it hands-free if necessary in the utter darkenss of the oil smoke 100% overcast at night.
    So I have chosen not to wear it on the straps.

Tyler

Camo_fiend
    Camo_fiend

Name : Ben
    Registration date : 2009-07-22
    Number of posts : 2705

Post by Camo_fiend Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:55 am

100 mile-an-hour tape fixes wobbly flashlights in a heartbeat. lol!
    All jokes aside, I can definitely understand the logic behind that.

It will definitely be interesting to see how your display setup will look come summer's end!

See my collection online: http://benscamo.webs.com/
    AndrewA74
    AndrewA74

Post by AndrewA74 Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:07 am

Camo_fiend wrote:100 mile-an-hour tape fixes wobbly flashlights in a heartbeat. lol!
    All jokes aside, I can definitely understand the logic behind that.

It will definitely be interesting to see how your display setup will look come summer's end!
    Yeah 100 MPH tape would be good for any loose strings. Also, is your flashlight missing the front peice?
    Andrew
    Corpl. Cleaver
    Corpl. Cleaver

Post by Corpl. Cleaver Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:11 am

I already have a list of stuff to change around, lol

I use friction tape on straps, it has been around since WWII and doesn't leave sticky goo behind.

Andy, yes it is missing the front peice, I like it this way. this light has clay or redish dirt stuck in every groove and crack. So it has definitly been used. I have 2 others that are mint.

Tyler

1stDivVet
    1stDivVet
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Fins...
    Registration date : 2009-03-24
    Number of posts : 2561

Post by 1stDivVet Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:19 pm

I got a helmet band in the basement I'll toss in your box of goodies. I dug it out while cleaning. Was gonna chop the cat's eyes and put it on my nam reenactment helmet, better for you tho.

Ben & Andy, ya, it'd fix the wobely lite, but how would you get it off to go to the can or look thru your crap in the truck or hootch? Maybe if ya had a couple.. Or maybe one of the mini ones I saw at the px.. They were pocket size. It flops around on the suspender, but securing it isn't practicle. Mine went wherever it was out of the way at any given moment. Up to and including left in the vehicle or camp..LOL

Phillip, we had to buy our buttpacks.. They were not an issue item, but were authorized for use. I got a canvas one for 2 reasons. 1, it was cheaper, 2, canvas didn't rip at the seams like ny;on did. It was sturdier. The issue ponchos were a rubberized rip-stop material and I carried a Vietnam era one that was thicker. My issue one got a liner and became my field sleeping bag.

We did a lot of stuff as individuals. I also carried the bigger 1st aid kit to have more bandages and was the first guy in my section to get a 2 qt canteen. I had jungle boots sooner than everyone else too.. I liked them better than the speed lace leather ones. I couldn't use it, but I prefured the old M1 pot to the Kpot. I had had one issued in basic and the took them away at AIT.. I was NOT happy!! You can use the M1 for a lot of things and it's more durable.. I could care less about ballistics.. I'm in a war, safety isn't a big concern to me there..LOL In Somolia, I had a USMC KBar in a US Army embosed leather scabbard I carried. No one said anything. The odd things I carried as a CI agent are entirely different.. When it came to that, almost anything was accepted. It just depended on what you were doing. But as for general combat use, as long as we were within regs or slightly in a gray area, no one really cared. It was more a set up of what worked best for us.

Fins...

Post by Corpl. Cleaver Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:30 pm

Yes,the odd things you carried... I guess I'll have to steal a guitar string from my sister...

Thanks for all the help Fins

Corpl. Cleaver
    Corpl. Cleaver

Post by Corpl. Cleaver Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:29 am

Okay guys, I made some of the recomended changes, so here are new pics.

No flack jacket
    Tinted lenses on goggles
    Helmet band with cat eyes (named to a guy named EVANS)
    Earplug case on suspenders
    Taped straps
    Gas mask worn propper way
    Gear rearanged, so I can get 2 inches closer to the ground Wink
    Watter bottles in pocket (sorry, I don't have any 20yo Iraqi water bottles)

Since I rearanged my gear, I took off the bayonet, and forgot to put it back on.

Desert Shield/Storm set up, Seeking input from Vets 00315Desert Shield/Storm set up, Seeking input from Vets 00414

Private purchas woodland small ruck. Flack jacket (no cover). 2qt canteen, sleep mat.
    Desert Shield/Storm set up, Seeking input from Vets 00213

Early MREs(yum No ), dated 3/85, my brother ate them around 2001. Sowing kit, patches, random stuff. Note sun burn spray at bottom right (use by 3/91) I burn easy, so thsi was a must.
    Desert Shield/Storm set up, Seeking input from Vets 00513

Thanks for all the help guys,
    Tyler

AndrewA74
    AndrewA74

Post by AndrewA74 Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:20 pm

Looks good! Do you not have a patched 6 color to wear? What about the boonie, did it dissapear? Now all you need is an M16.... Smile
    Andrew
    Corpl. Cleaver
    Corpl. Cleaver

Post by Corpl. Cleaver Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:10 pm

nope, don't have a patched jacket. Thr boone is in ym left cargo pocket.

Tyler

flashesandovals
    flashesandovals
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Registration date : 2014-07-02
    Number of posts : 88

Post by flashesandovals Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:38 pm

Corpl. Cleaver wrote:Okay guys, I made some of the recomended changes, so here are new pics.

No flack jacket
    Tinted lenses on goggles
    Helmet band with cat eyes (named to a guy named EVANS)
    Earplug case on suspenders
    Taped straps
    Gas mask worn propper way
    Gear rearanged, so I can get 2 inches closer to the ground Wink
    Watter bottles in pocket (sorry, I don't have any 20yo Iraqi water bottles)

Since I rearanged my gear, I took off the bayonet, and forgot to put it back on.

Desert Shield/Storm set up, Seeking input from Vets 00315Desert Shield/Storm set up, Seeking input from Vets 00414

Private purchas woodland small ruck. Flack jacket (no cover). 2qt canteen, sleep mat.
    Desert Shield/Storm set up, Seeking input from Vets 00213

Early MREs(yum No ), dated 3/85, my brother ate them around 2001. Sowing kit, patches, random stuff. Note sun burn spray at bottom right (use by 3/91) I burn easy, so thsi was a must.
    Desert Shield/Storm set up, Seeking input from Vets 00513

Thanks for all the help guys,
    Tyler

Looks like your pants are repro - it should be fairly easy to replace them and find an original pair in your size...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 3:20 am