IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
1stDivVet
nkomo
Camo_fiend
AndrewA74
vonstuck
9 posters

My desert chocolate chips and 3 colors

vonstuck
    vonstuck
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2010-03-30
    Number of posts : 3395

My desert chocolate chips and 3 colors Empty My desert chocolate chips and 3 colors

Post by vonstuck Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:14 pm

My desert chocolate chips and 3 colors

My desert chocolate chips and 3 colors 100_5210

My desert chocolate chips and 3 colors 100_5211

My desert chocolate chips and 3 colors 100_5212

My desert chocolate chips and 3 colors 100_5213

My desert chocolate chips and 3 colors 100_5214

My desert chocolate chips and 3 colors 100_5110

My desert chocolate chips and 3 colors 100_5215

My desert chocolate chips and 3 colors 100_5216

My desert chocolate chips and 3 colors 100_5217

My desert chocolate chips and 3 colors 100_5218

My desert chocolate chips and 3 colors 100_5219

My desert chocolate chips and 3 colors 100_5220

My desert chocolate chips and 3 colors 100_5221

My desert chocolate chips and 3 colors 100_5222

My desert chocolate chips and 3 colors 100_5223

My desert chocolate chips and 3 colors 100_5224

My desert chocolate chips and 3 colors 100_5225

My desert chocolate chips and 3 colors 100_5226

My desert chocolate chips and 3 colors 100_5227
    AndrewA74
    AndrewA74

Name : Andrew
    Registration date : 2009-02-17
    Number of posts : 930

My desert chocolate chips and 3 colors Empty Re: My desert chocolate chips and 3 colors

Post by AndrewA74 Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:20 pm

VERY NICE! I really like the 1981 6 color, which is interesting to note that it doesn't have the back adjustment straps. Also, that last DCU is very strange. It has all of the insignia except rank, badges, and tapes being theatre made, but the thing that puzzles me is why he is assigned to a medical unit (804th Medical Brigade). If a soldier is not an officer and has SF qualifications you would expect him to be working somewhere he's needed, not a medical brigade. It's possible that he would have changed jobs but it doesn't make sense unless he's missing something like a combat medic's badge.
    Andrew
    Camo_fiend
    Camo_fiend

Name : Ben
    Registration date : 2009-07-22
    Number of posts : 2705

My desert chocolate chips and 3 colors Empty Re: My desert chocolate chips and 3 colors

Post by Camo_fiend Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:44 pm

Could he have been an SF-qualified/trained medic who was transferred to 804th?

See my collection online: http://benscamo.webs.com/
    vonstuck
    vonstuck
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2010-03-30
    Number of posts : 3395

Post by vonstuck Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:27 pm

Hello
    I have bought this jacket as this, but it is possible that some patch are add by the seller for be more attractive
    I have find the 1981 chocolate ships and the 1990 three colors in a "fripperies" , shop who sold second hand closes, at Toulouse
    Gilles
    AndrewA74
    AndrewA74

Post by AndrewA74 Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:36 pm

Camo_fiend wrote:Could he have been an SF-qualified/trained medic who was transferred to 804th?
    Still you would expect to find a combat medics badge.

Vonstuck,
    I understand, and I'm not calling you a liar on these jackets but I find the last one strange. That's all.
    Andrew
    nkomo
    nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Name : Arch
    Registration date : 2009-02-13
    Number of posts : 3324

Post by nkomo Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:43 pm

I have a West Virginia National Guard BDU that has the WVNG SSI on the left shoulder and SF tab above it. I've seen this before and it is perfectly okay patch combo.

Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Fins...
    Registration date : 2009-03-24
    Number of posts : 2561

Post by 1stDivVet Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:16 pm

The SF tab is like the ranger tab. It's a qualification tab and is not worn on the right sleeve. However, once earned, it is always worn on the left over any current assigned unit. Just because you switch units doesn't mean you no longer are SF trained. He may not have been a medic. He could have been a clerk, truck driver, supply type, etc. The SF has a lot of different jobs within it's structure. I have SF uniforms to signal corps and artillery guys. One I knew in Vietnam was a civil affairs/engineer type. Lack of EMB or CMB doesn't mean anything..

Fins...

Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Registration date : 2009-02-18
    Number of posts : 369

Post by swag Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:44 pm

Fins posted while I was writing this post. Kudos Fins, you're spot on! But since it sounds like some folks are getting wrapped around the axle over this tabbed and badged DCU I'll add my $0.02.
    First, without closer shots and/or inspection of the DCU I would not proclaim any of the patches (tabs, badges, ranks, flag, etc) to be theater made.
    Second point reiterates what Fins spoke on...the CIB seems to go hand in hand with the SF patch on the right sleeve. The lack of a CMB means nothing and is not at all odd or unusual. The jacket says that the original owner earned his CIB with the SF, nothing more. Doesn't even tell you for what action he earned his CIB. Could be the War on Terror, could be Panama, Grenada, hell it could even be Vietnam.
    Speaking from actual military service experience this DCU raises no suspicions with me; nothing about it seems odd, unusual, or out of the ordinary. I've seen stranger combination's on BDU's, DCU's, and ACU's.
    And finally the soldier probably got tired of walking everywhere while carrying an 80 pound ruck and slinging an M4 everywhere he went. I knew plenty of 11 Bravo and SF types who went to flight school because they got tired of walking. So its not at all surprising to find out that an SF guy decided to become a medic so he could work in a hospital, sleep in a cot, eat in a real chow hall, and be protected from the elements..all of which one does not find plying the trade of a Special Forces soldier.
    AndrewA74
    AndrewA74

Post by AndrewA74 Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:54 pm

I understand the badging going along with a SF type, but all I meant was that I thought it was strange a soldier with those qualifications would work in a medical unit. I guess it would be like someone with an MBA working at McDonalds. And yes, I know the SF tab is more like a qualification badge, just like the sapper tab.

If you look how the medical brigade has white edging, that is very typical of theatre made backings, and the SF patch has a raised border that's not merrowed and the tab looks funky. I guess after looking at them for so long, you can just tell. It's hard to explain.
    swag
    swag
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Registration date : 2009-02-18
    Number of posts : 369

Post by swag Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:04 am

AndrewA74 wrote:Still you would expect to find a combat medics badge.
    No, I would not.

AndrewA74 wrote:...all I meant was that I thought it was strange a soldier with those qualifications would work in a medical unit. I guess it would be like someone with an MBA working at McDonalds.

Not at all is it strange, people change career fields all the time in the service, just as people with MBA's work at Micky D's. Granted they probably work at the corporate headquarters and not a local corner store but you will find folks with MBA's at the Golden Arches. And with the current economy everyone is struggling with it would not be surprising to learn that some highly skilled and highly educated people have taken a second (or third) job to help with the mortgage, car payments, bills, insurance, etc.
    What did this soldier do at the hospital? I bet he wasn't the one sticking needles into veins, collecting urine samples, or sitting at the reception desk. Most likely he did administrative tasks, managed the troops, and conducted inspections/inventories as well as completing task/actions in the commanders name during his absence.

A jacket is just a piece clothing that gives very basic details about the soldier; the whole story and back story is not displayed on a BDU, DCU, or ACU top, only the highlights of that soldiers career.

AndrewA74 wrote:If you look how the medical brigade has white edging, that is very typical of theatre made backings, and the SF patch has a raised border that's not merrowed and the tab looks funky. I guess after looking at them for so long, you can just tell. It's hard to explain.
    Probably not too hard to explain. I'm not a patch collector so I'm not familiar with the subtle nuances of patch construction, but based on my experiences in handling patches (store bought and theater bought) and the quality of the pictures in the post I personally would not say with certainty that they are or are not store bought vs. theater made. If you're able to discern that from those pictures then you've got a better eye than me.
    magic2
    magic2
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2012-01-15
    Number of posts : 74

Post by magic2 Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:44 am

hello, my three colors DCU no ripstop,give me some information about when it was used.
    thank.My desert chocolate chips and 3 colors 22012015My desert chocolate chips and 3 colors 22012016
    Jenn68

Registration date : 2022-10-09
    Number of posts : 2

My desert chocolate chips and 3 colors Empty Experimental 100% Cotton Colors Desert

Post by Jenn68 Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:39 pm

The 100% cotton pattern  has always been my Nessie of Noch  Ness.  I read about it on some webs that General Schwarzkopf ordered it but was canceled later. My desert chocolate chips and 3 colors E3445c10[url=https://servimg.com/view/20456044/12]My desert chocolate chips and 3 colors A9609c10[url=https://servimg.com/view/20456044/13]My desert chocolate chips and 3 colors 11a1e610[/url][/url]
    Philip
    Philip
    ADMIN MODERATOR
    ADMIN MODERATOR

Number of posts : 3117

Post by Philip Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:43 pm

Interesting. I have never seen the experimental DBDU in 100% cotton rip-stop fabric.

Jenn68

Registration date : 2022-10-09
    Number of posts : 2

Post by Jenn68 Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:53 pm

That is my 1st post and you are the 1st one to reply.
    Thank you. . Yes, for years I have been searching. We have another member posted the Experimental Twill material 6 Colors .
    Philip
    Philip
    ADMIN MODERATOR
    ADMIN MODERATOR

Number of posts : 3117

Post by Philip Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:10 am

Yes, and the more common (I guess) 50/50 rip-stop version.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:25 am