IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Picked up these USAF patches -can anyone ID them?

Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Gary
    Registration date : 2010-06-12
    Number of posts : 3591

Picked up these USAF patches -can anyone ID them? Empty Picked up these USAF patches -can anyone ID them?

Post by Easy Gee Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:01 am

Hi Guy.

Here's another of my latest finds,I got these patches from a guy on a market stall for £1.00 each,can any one ID them and tell me what era they are from,the Guy told me they were Vietnam era....could be I don't have a clue.
    Picked up these USAF patches -can anyone ID them? Dsc01632
    Any help with these patches would be great,and was I ripped off Question
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Picked up these USAF patches -can anyone ID them? Empty Re: Picked up these USAF patches -can anyone ID them?

Post by Easy Gee Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:02 am

Picked up these USAF patches -can anyone ID them? Dsc01633

50th tac ftr wing

Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Picked up these USAF patches -can anyone ID them? Empty Re: Picked up these USAF patches -can anyone ID them?

Post by Easy Gee Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:04 am

Picked up these USAF patches -can anyone ID them? Dsc01634

Pacific air forces.
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:05 am

Picked up these USAF patches -can anyone ID them? Dsc01635
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:07 am

Picked up these USAF patches -can anyone ID them? Dsc01636

Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:08 am

Picked up these USAF patches -can anyone ID them? Dsc01637
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:09 am

Picked up these USAF patches -can anyone ID them? Dsc01638
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:11 am

Picked up these USAF patches -can anyone ID them? Dsc01639

And that's all folks!

Many thanks in advance Wink
    AndrewA74
    AndrewA74

Name : Andrew
    Registration date : 2009-02-17
    Number of posts : 930

Post by AndrewA74 Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:05 pm

Easy Gee wrote:Picked up these USAF patches -can anyone ID them? Dsc01639

And that's all folks!

You most certainly didn't get ripped off. What do you need help with? The identifications are wirtten on the patches themselves. The squadron patches are the hardest to find.
    Andrew

If you're interested in USAF patches, let me know, I can hook you up. Smile
    DS9ACU
    DS9ACU
    Officer Candidate
    Officer Candidate

Registration date : 2009-07-15
    Number of posts : 530

Post by DS9ACU Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:15 pm

first two patches (the ranked) I don't think are Vietnam issue, if there is a small strand on the opposite side, then it is a newer patch.
    AndrewA74
    AndrewA74

Post by AndrewA74 Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:22 pm

Flecktarn92 wrote:first two patches (the ranked) I don't think are Vietnam issue, if there is a small strand on the opposite side, then it is a newer patch.
    They could be late Vietnam era, they have a merrowed edge. Those came out around 1968 but they were still using new old stock. That's for a Tech Sgt by the way.
    Andrew
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:03 am

AndrewA74 wrote:
    Easy Gee wrote:Picked up these USAF patches -can anyone ID them? Dsc01639

And that's all folks!

You most certainly didn't get ripped off. What do you need help with? The identifications are wirtten on the patches themselves. The squadron patches are the hardest to find.
    Andrew

If you're interested in USAF patches, let me know, I can hook you up. Smile

Thanks Andrew.

It's the era of these patches ,I would like some assistance with, the Guy I got them off said they were 60's issue, I have seen similar Patches on US Ebay,and they seem to fetch a fair price, if I sell them on ,at some stage in the future,I would like to be able to describe them accurately,e.g. if they are 80's versions,I don't want to describe them as 60's.....don't want no bad feedback!!! Shocked

Is there a specific place on this forum to see others like these?

Anyhoo,thanks for your comments,and it's good to know I did not get ripped off,I normally do! Wink
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:07 am

Flecktarn92 wrote:first two patches (the ranked) I don't think are Vietnam issue, if there is a small strand on the opposite side, then it is a newer patch.

Hi .

Thanks for your comments, would it help if I posted some pics of the rear,of the patches, would help to age them ?, as you can tell I know nothing about patches,I don't normally collect this kind of thing, but I'm keen to learn more.

Thanks again Mate. Smile
    AndrewA74
    AndrewA74

Post by AndrewA74 Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:14 pm

Well if you're interested in more USAF patches, you need to go to www.usafpatches.com. Most of those don't look Vietnam era, but mostly about 1980's. They probably came from one of the bases in England truth be known.
    Andrew
    DS9ACU
    DS9ACU
    Officer Candidate
    Officer Candidate

Registration date : 2009-07-15
    Number of posts : 530

Post by DS9ACU Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:31 pm

well I can tell you that the third and the seventh patches are more than likely mid to late 80's like Andrew said. I have the same patches, and I know for a fact that they are that old. Take some pictures of the back. If they are snow white, they are more than likely Vietnam era, If they are about the same color they are probably post Vietnam up till the early 90's. If they are sort of laminated they are either commercial or newer issue. That's really based on my experiences with patches. I'm not really a super expert but I can tell the differences between years Very Happy
    navax
    navax
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Name : Jake
    Registration date : 2010-04-13
    Number of posts : 154

Post by navax Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:53 pm

The ranked patches are the previous Master Sergeant (E-7) rank before the Air Force moved to moving the chevrons up at MSgt. Jake
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:30 pm

AndrewA74 wrote:Well if you're interested in more USAF patches, you need to go to www.usafpatches.com. Most of those don't look Vietnam era, but mostly about 1980's. They probably came from one of the bases in England truth be known.
    Andrew

Thanks again Mate.

Good tip,I will check out this site,and your probably right the patches, could have come from one of the US bases in England....so that makes sense.

Thanks Again cheers
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:37 pm

Flecktarn92 wrote:well I can tell you that the third and the seventh patches are more than likely mid to late 80's like Andrew said. I have the same patches, and I know for a fact that they are that old. Take some pictures of the back. If they are snow white, they are more than likely Vietnam era, If they are about the same color they are probably post Vietnam up till the early 90's. If they are sort of laminated they are either commercial or newer issue. That's really based on my experiences with patches. I'm not really a super expert but I can tell the differences between years Very Happy

Thanks for the info,good stuff!
    The backs of these patches are a combination of, same colour,a few laminated looking,the only one that's pretty much white is the 501st Tactical missile wing.

Oh well not 60's...never mind ,I still like them,and I suppose I could always sell them on....thanks again,I'm glad I joined this forum ,for the great info sharing cheers
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:39 pm

navax wrote:The ranked patches are the previous Master Sergeant (E-7) rank before the Air Force moved to moving the chevrons up at MSgt. Jake

Thanks Jake.

Good info sharing .......good one cheers
    AndrewA74
    AndrewA74

Post by AndrewA74 Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:42 pm

Easy Gee wrote:
    navax wrote:The ranked patches are the previous Master Sergeant (E-7) rank before the Air Force moved to moving the chevrons up at MSgt. Jake

Thanks Jake.

Good info sharing .......good one cheers
    Jake,
    That's not MSgt, they're Tech Sgt.

Airman - 1 Stripe
    Airman 1st Class- 2 Stripes
    Senior Airman- 3 Stripes
    Staff Sergeant- 4 Stripes
    Technical Sergeant- 5 Stripes
    Master Sergeant- 6 Stripes
    1stDivVet
    1stDivVet
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Fins...
    Registration date : 2009-03-24
    Number of posts : 2561

Post by 1stDivVet Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:50 am

Vietnam Era patches for the USAF were larger than the ones from the 70's and up. The smaller ones saw some service in late Vietnam, coming into use around 72 or so. The subdued ones came out in the mid-80's. Here's some I have. There are sub-sections on the sides.

Vietnam Era:
    https://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e400/1stDivVet/Vietnam/Air%20Force/Patches/

70's and up:
    https://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e400/1stDivVet/Modern%20Era/USAF/Patches/

Subdued:
    https://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e400/1stDivVet/Modern%20Era/USAF/Patches/Subdued/

Fins...

Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:54 pm

1stDivVet wrote:Vietnam Era patches for the USAF were larger than the ones from the 70's and up. The smaller ones saw some service in late Vietnam, coming into use around 72 or so. The subdued ones came out in the mid-80's. Here's some I have. There are sub-sections on the sides.

Vietnam Era:
    https://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e400/1stDivVet/Vietnam/Air%20Force/Patches/

70's and up:
    https://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e400/1stDivVet/Modern%20Era/USAF/Patches/

Subdued:
    https://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e400/1stDivVet/Modern%20Era/USAF/Patches/Subdued/

Fins...

Excellent info Mate,and I really like your collection,this whole thing has inspired me to get into these patches in a big way....got to be easier to collect and store than M1 helmets...plus it's gotta be cheaper too Wink

Nice one, thanks for the info and for sharing your collection cheers

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 18, 2024 4:24 am