IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

1959 Soviet tanker helmet with Night Vision Goggles

CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6888

1959 Soviet tanker helmet with Night Vision Goggles Empty 1959 Soviet tanker helmet with Night Vision Goggles

Post by CollectinSteve Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:53 am

Hi all,

I just received this helmet last week. It's beautifully ugly Smile The night vision system relied upon a large infrared lamp on the armored vehicle to illuminate targets. The goggles simply received the reflections off of whatever the lamp projected onto. I have not found a manual for this device yet, so I do not know which leads to use for charging the battery. I'm curious to know if it works Very Happy

Steve

1959 Soviet tanker helmet with Night Vision Goggles IMG_6440

1959 Soviet tanker helmet with Night Vision Goggles IMG_6442

1959 Soviet tanker helmet with Night Vision Goggles IMG_6441
    misanthropic_gods
    misanthropic_gods

Registration date : 2009-07-27
    Number of posts : 991

1959 Soviet tanker helmet with Night Vision Goggles Empty Re: 1959 Soviet tanker helmet with Night Vision Goggles

Post by misanthropic_gods Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:55 am

Ha ha..very freaking cool!

That looks heavy and uncomfortable
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

1959 Soviet tanker helmet with Night Vision Goggles Empty Re: 1959 Soviet tanker helmet with Night Vision Goggles

Post by CollectinSteve Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:44 pm

It is and it is Wink The primary design flaw is that you can't take the set off easily, so I can see a tanker having two separate helmets; one for day, one for night. That's what I'd try to do if I had to mess with this thing on a regular basis!

Steve
    Camo_fiend
    Camo_fiend

Name : Ben
    Registration date : 2009-07-22
    Number of posts : 2705

Post by Camo_fiend Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:19 pm

Very cool, Steve! I have never seen something like this before.

See my collection online: http://benscamo.webs.com/
    Sarbaz
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Registration date : 2010-02-20
    Number of posts : 234

Post by Sarbaz Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:24 pm

Gongratulations! Rare lot.
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:57 pm

Now all I need is a T-55 to go with the helmet Very Happy

Steve
    misanthropic_gods
    misanthropic_gods

Registration date : 2009-07-27
    Number of posts : 991

Post by misanthropic_gods Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:59 pm

CollectinSteve wrote:Now all I need is a T-55 to go with the helmet Very Happy

Steve

I found a foam/plastic T-55 for use in the Sand Tables for training at the surplus store today...$2...its yours if you want it Very Happy
    RussianICBM
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2010-10-20
    Number of posts : 26

Post by RussianICBM Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:42 am

i can get you a t55 if that is what your looking for....the main cannon barrel has been cut slightly with a plasma torch to render inoperable....with a little bit of elbow grease and some mechanical know-how....it should work just fine
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:34 pm

Thanks for the offer! I already know where to buy them and even how to import using a BATF Form 6. But I decided to not purchase a heavy armored vehicle until I am ungodly rich. Even lighter military vehicles are difficult to maintain (I know this first hand). Heavy ones require a full machine shop to keep them running!

Steve
    RussianICBM
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2010-10-20
    Number of posts : 26

Post by RussianICBM Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:31 am

in the last military auction i went to, i found many of these helmets....without the night vision....are they worth picking up?
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:22 pm

Yes, if you can get them cheap. A good selling price for a helmet like this, without goggles, is around $25 for a medium size in good condition.

Steve

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:35 am