IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Swallow-tail cap in Hungarian m87 swirl camo

Reiska
    Reiska
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Name : Carl
    Registration date : 2009-02-19
    Number of posts : 280

Swallow-tail cap in Hungarian m87 swirl camo Empty Swallow-tail cap in Hungarian m87 swirl camo

Post by Reiska Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:35 am

Don't know who made this or where it's from. There are no tags or markings. The guy I bought it from said it was from Africa. The camo fabric is definitely Hungarian.

Swallow-tail cap in Hungarian m87 swirl camo 5420240893_37cf0760f2_b

Swallow-tail cap in Hungarian m87 swirl camo 5420240939_038341224a_b
    mcoleman762
    mcoleman762
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Name : Mike
    Registration date : 2009-02-18
    Number of posts : 172

Swallow-tail cap in Hungarian m87 swirl camo Empty Re: Swallow-tail cap in Hungarian m87 swirl camo

Post by mcoleman762 Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:02 pm

I would bet a ton of money on that being one of The SWAT Shop "tailor made" Kico caps. Jeff has made a ton of these over the years, in just about any camo pattern he can get his hands on. They are all fantasy pieces. They are based on the Portuguese issue Kicos, and the South African Recce copies. However, he makes them out of all sorts of camo.

He's made a bunch in various South African Recce copy camo patterns, and these are worth getting for cheap. They are made from legitimate copy fabric, and in most cases, you'll never find an original one. Once in a while he'll have an original one, and he's always been good about advertising the difference between a geniune factory example, and his tailor made versions.

Cheers,

Mike
    Reiska
    Reiska
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Swallow-tail cap in Hungarian m87 swirl camo Empty Re: Swallow-tail cap in Hungarian m87 swirl camo

Post by Reiska Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:41 am

I've looked at the ones on the Swat Shop website. He states that they're "Vietnam Airborne/LLDB type camo. Similar to British Windproof camo but shelter quarter material."
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6952

Post by CollectinSteve Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:38 am

When I see someone say "similar" I read "only if you're blind do they look the same" Smile

Steve
    joni firpo
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Registration date : 2010-05-16
    Number of posts : 132

Post by joni firpo Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:11 am

These caps were worn by elite hungarian paratroopers sent to Africa to support communist rebels against south-africans ... or rhodesians ... or anybody who was "imperialist" enough.

Just kidding of course - I think the maker obtained somewhere surplus M49 shelter halves and produced such fantasy items. A few years ago there was a whole suit (in the french TAP-cut) and more berets on eBay, offered as Indochina-War relics. As I remember, the maker even added a few french-looking stamp to the garment, but there were also the original hungarian stamps ...
    vonstuck
    vonstuck
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2010-03-30
    Number of posts : 3414

Post by vonstuck Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:23 pm

joni firpo wrote:These caps were worn by elite hungarian paratroopers sent to Africa to support communist rebels against south-africans ... or rhodesians ... or anybody who was "imperialist" enough.

Just kidding of course - I think the maker obtained somewhere surplus M49 shelter halves and produced such fantasy items. A few years ago there was a whole suit (in the french TAP-cut) and more berets on eBay, offered as Indochina-War relics. As I remember, the maker even added a few french-looking stamp to the garment, but there were also the original hungarian stamps ...

Swallow-tail cap in Hungarian m87 swirl camo Nam_fr10

Hello
    Maybe you speak about this set
    I have keep the pictures because it is funny
    I don't remember that these items have Hungarian stamp
    Only fake of French stamp
    Are you sure that Hungarian soldier have wear cap build in tent material?
    Gilles
    joni firpo
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Registration date : 2010-05-16
    Number of posts : 132

Post by joni firpo Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:30 am

Hi Gilles!

Maybe more suits were made, sadly I don't have the old photos (they went "dead" with my old PC), but I clearly remember I've seen the regular hungarian 1950's military stamps beside the fake french stamps on that garment.

The suit on your picture is surely made from M49 shelter-halves, even the brown plastic buttons were re-issued. The french lizard "patch" on the side of the trousers is interesting - the faker went out from the hungarian material? Or did he think it is the "sign of autenthicity"? Mad thing!

The M49 shelter halves were made in millions in the early 1950's, as the Hungarian People's Army was prepared then for the WW III. That many shelter halves were made, the supplies last until today, although since then, more times new shelter halves (M82 and M93) were issued. Thousands of shelter halves were sold as surplus from the 1990's, and it seems somebody thought it is a good idea to construct french-like "uniforms" from them.

As for commercially made caps: wearing non-standard caps became popular mostly in the 1990's (commercial or foreign boonie hats were/are preferred by hungarian soldiers), although I've seen a few photos of hungarian paratroopers wearing non-standard berets, made of M1951 recon coverall material. Otherwise wearing non-standard caps was very unlike in the army of the communist era.
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6952

Post by CollectinSteve Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:22 am

I have a bunch of pictures of a different set of what Gilles posted. Tamas, I believe these photos came from you, but I am not sure. They are dated 2004, so I have had them for quite a while.

The construction looks extremely good. I normally do not collect fake items, but this one I would like to have.

Steve
    Reiska
    Reiska
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by Reiska Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:02 pm

I wouldn't mind having that set in my collection either

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 10:13 am