IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Solideo
CollectinSteve
6 posters

Spanish Field Gear - Help Needed!

Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Name : Andrew
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 1407

Spanish Field Gear - Help Needed! - Page 2 Empty Re: Spanish Field Gear - Help Needed!

Post by Wolverine Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:10 pm

Thanks for sharing these updates Steve.
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6952

Spanish Field Gear - Help Needed! - Page 2 Empty Re: Spanish Field Gear - Help Needed!

Post by CollectinSteve Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:51 pm

What I'm confused about is there are apparently M82 and M88 equipment designations, yet I don't know what those might be. Group I is the most recent stuff I have seen, yet this is supposedly M78. I'm wondering if that might not be true.

Also, it could be possible that the equipment designations represent minor changes to only a part of the equipment mix. For example, M82 might only replace the backpack or field belt, but the rest is indistinguishable from M78. That sort of thing.

Of course there's a chance that the designations are just wrong Wink Happens all the time.

Steve
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Name : Andrew
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 1407

Post by Wolverine Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:47 pm

Indeed, without any documents it is hard to say. In Canada, one has often heard soldiers referring to their own equipment by the incorrect models. Then collectors pick up on that. I am sure it happens elsewhere too.
    Solideo
    Solideo
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Name : Juan J. Morales
    Registration date : 2009-02-13
    Number of posts : 222

Post by Solideo Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:20 am

CollectinSteve wrote:What I'm confused about is there are apparently M82 and M88 equipment designations, yet I don't know what those might be.  Group I is the most recent stuff I have seen, yet this is supposedly M78.  I'm wondering if that might not be true.

Also, it could be possible that the equipment designations represent minor changes to only a part of the equipment mix.  For example, M82 might only replace the backpack or field belt, but the rest is indistinguishable from M78.  That sort of thing.

Of course there's a chance that the designations are just wrong Wink  Happens all the time.

Steve

HI again.

Giving a date to anything in Spain is so difficult because documents are really hard to find, anyway dependind on which unit fieldgear was given you can see designs can be used in many different years.

About your C group, unfortunately dates given by other collector are wrong, It was still used into 2000, with some variations depending the Tercio.

About magazine pouches in that set you own the very late one. Of course it´s not complete, hope i do not run out of time and take some photos of a complete Spanish Legion fieldgear and can post it here.

Most equipment was mixed around time, even unit equipment got sometimes fixedfor several reasons based on if you were in training period or just stock wich appered.

Best
    michelwijnand
    michelwijnand
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Name : Michel Wijnand
    Registration date : 2016-11-09
    Number of posts : 798

Post by michelwijnand Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:08 pm

Last week I was in a shop here in Holland, and was surprised to find a small box on random M67 pouches, and there were some from the dark webbing too,
    as seen in Steve's group A photo.
    So among many random other things I bought a few M67 bits and this strange one but I have no idea what it's supposed to be, sadly some of the seams have
    come undone.
    It's almost like a combo of 1 small grenade pouch and a single magpouch.

Spanish Field Gear - Help Needed! - Page 2 DSC02910
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6952

Post by CollectinSteve Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:00 am

Nice finds! I found one of my Spanish wool mag pouches in a big bin of mostly US pouches at a shop.

What you have there looks to be two separate pouches that were sewn together. I have one of each separately as can be seen in the previous page. Is that the way it looks to you?

Steve
    michelwijnand
    michelwijnand
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Name : Michel Wijnand
    Registration date : 2016-11-09
    Number of posts : 798

Post by michelwijnand Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:03 pm

Thanks! I'm (very) slowly building an M67 webbing with bits I randomly find.
    I can check if it's 2 sewn together pouches tomorrow.
    I saw your 2 pouches, but they look different, both in measurements and the shape of the flap
    of the longer pouch.
    The small pouch part is really small, like the very small M67 pouches, your small pouch looks bigger than this one. I'll measure them tomorrow too and get back to you

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 4:23 am