IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
Mk1rceme
CollectinSteve
misanthropic_gods
lammasulyon
Easy Gee
9 posters

Canadian Para wings and patches help required.

Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Gary
    Registration date : 2010-06-12
    Number of posts : 3591

Canadian Para wings and patches help required. Empty Canadian Para wings and patches help required.

Post by Easy Gee Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:01 am

Hi Guys.

Canadian Para wings and patch, can anyone ID them for me please, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance Wink

Canadian Para wings and patches help required. P6110028

Last edited by Easy Gee on Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:03 am; edited 1 time in total
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Canadian Para wings and patches help required. Empty Re: Canadian Para wings and patches help required.

Post by Easy Gee Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:02 am

Canadian Para wings and patches help required. P6110029
    lammasulyon
    lammasulyon
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Name : Henry G
    Registration date : 2010-07-13
    Number of posts : 368

Canadian Para wings and patches help required. Empty Re: Canadian Para wings and patches help required.

Post by lammasulyon Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:07 am

i think they are of the Canadian Airborne Regiment...it got disbanded in the 1990s for a series of scandals
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:38 pm

lammasulyon wrote:i think they are of the Canadian Airborne Regiment...it got disbanded in the 1990s for a series of scandals

Cool cheers Henry, thanks for the info Very Happy
    misanthropic_gods
    misanthropic_gods

Registration date : 2009-07-27
    Number of posts : 991

Post by misanthropic_gods Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:59 pm

lammasulyon wrote:i think they are of the Canadian Airborne Regiment...it got disbanded in the 1990s for a series of scandals

These are just Jump wings, these are still earned today...while the Canadian Airborne Regiment was disbanded in the 90's, there is still Parachute qualifications done at the Canadian Forces Land Advanced Warfare Centre in Edmonton, Alberta. There are still Airborne capable units in the Canadian Forces, just nothing large like the CAR was.

This is the former CAR symbol
    Canadian Para wings and patches help required. Airborne_logo
    lammasulyon
    lammasulyon
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post by lammasulyon Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:10 pm

thanks for the clear up, i got confused between the CAR regt and the airborne qualifications...the fact that the CAR units was the first thing on my mind when i saw these badges. I think one of the airborne units still active is in the PPCLI...

btw they look fantastic, i recon they look good on a soldier's uniform!

misanthropic_gods
    misanthropic_gods

Post by misanthropic_gods Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:12 pm

lammasulyon wrote:thanks for the clear up, i got confused between the CAR regt and the airborne qualifications...the fact that the CAR units was the first thing on my mind when i saw these badges. I think one of the airborne units still active is in the PPCLI...

btw they look fantastic, i recon they look good on a soldier's uniform!

I believe you are correct about the PPCLI, there are a few others as well.

I think the Canadian Jump Wings are one of the more snazzy looking sets of jump wings in the world.
    lammasulyon
    lammasulyon
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post by lammasulyon Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:23 pm

the coolest part of this badge is the maple leaf...has to be the coolest way to show your allegiance to your nation's airborne regiment/battalion/company etc...

with the current way of fighting, i doubt the CAR would ever be reactivated...large parachute drops are now kinda obsolete these days, from what i read
    misanthropic_gods
    misanthropic_gods

Post by misanthropic_gods Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:27 pm

lammasulyon wrote:the coolest part of this badge is the maple leaf...has to be the coolest way to show your allegiance to your nation's airborne regiment/battalion/company etc...

with the current way of fighting, i doubt the CAR would ever be reactivated...large parachute drops are now kinda obsolete these days, from what i read

There is also a HUGE stigma associated with them. Some....unsavory....thing were done over in Somalia and there were some large issues before that, they have pretty much had so much bad press that the CAR name has been tainted for good.
    lammasulyon
    lammasulyon
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post by lammasulyon Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:17 pm

A large part of why they got disbanded was beacuse of the initiation rites of the regiment, from what i heard contained racism down to even eating one's own vomit...its disgusting, but thats army life isn't it
    misanthropic_gods
    misanthropic_gods

Post by misanthropic_gods Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:42 am

lammasulyon wrote:A large part of why they got disbanded was beacuse of the initiation rites of the regiment, from what i heard contained racism down to even eating one's own vomit...its disgusting, but thats army life isn't it

There were also allegations of Torture by the CAR in Somalia.
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6952

Post by CollectinSteve Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:46 am

I know the decision to disband the paras was quite controversial within the Army. Some career officers I've met over the years have spoken very poorly of how things were handled. In their opinion officers should have been sacked and the Regiment rehabilitated so it could reclaim its honor. They were very resentful that civilians decided to pull the plug instead. It came at a low point in civilian and military cooperation IIRC.

Steve
    lammasulyon
    lammasulyon
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post by lammasulyon Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:24 am

it terrible to disband a unit just because of a few scandals (not saying they should be taken lightly), but the people responsble for the disbandment rather ignored the regiment colourful history of campaigns and records...

is there any futher reading on the CAR hazing rituals? im rather curious
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:40 am

Thanks fella's, for all the information Very Happy
    Mk1rceme
    Mk1rceme
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Name : Dale
    Registration date : 2009-11-22
    Number of posts : 345

Post by Mk1rceme Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:05 pm

Hope I get this right...the first pic with the white maple leaf is for a CF member qualification. The second pic with the red maple leaf is for foreign military qualification.

There has been talk about bringing back the Airborne...hope it happens.
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:32 pm

Mk1rceme wrote:Hope I get this right...the first pic with the white maple leaf is for a CF member qualification. The second pic with the red maple leaf is for foreign military qualification.

Many thanks for this info, I was wondering why on was white the other red, cool cheers Mate Very Happy
    Spañiard
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Registration date : 2011-04-19
    Number of posts : 96

Post by Spañiard Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:13 pm

Hi all Metal CF wings from 1975 with white or red Leaf have 3 pins on the back, Some are Stamped William Sculley.
    However Dual Qualification wings have Two and are much smaller and the RCR are different from CF Issue.

Both your Combat Wings are from 92., classified as Type IV.

Can you also show pictures of all Backs of Patches and Metal.

Canadian Para wings and patches help required. 3_type10

Canadian Para wings and patches help required. 3_type11

CF. Para Qualification Wings 1980 Type II

Canadian Para wings and patches help required. Kgrhqy10

Canadian Para wings and patches help required. Kgrhqe10
    Spañiard
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by Spañiard Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:20 am

Spañiard wrote:Hi all Metal CF wings from 1975 with white or red Leaf have 3 pins on the back, Some are Stamped William Sculley.
    However Dual Qualification wings have Two and are much smaller and the RCR are different from CF Issue.

Both your Combat Wings are from 92., classified as Type IV.

Can you also show pictures of all Backs of Patches and Metal.

Canadian Para wings and patches help required. 3_type10

Canadian Para wings and patches help required. 3_type11

The Last Metal wing on the Picture I provided is a Repo. Both your cloth wings white and
    red the Parachute I have issue with. Please note they make so many Repos of CF. wings ect.

The picture of two different type IV, they are Samples that the CF. had made before choosing.

Canadian Para wings and patches help required. Import10
    Canadian Para wings and patches help required. Import11

The Bottom Pictures are US & British Combat, Canadian Qualification wings.

Canadian Para wings and patches help required. Cdn_ju11

Canadian Para wings and patches help required. Import12

Spañiard
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by Spañiard Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:34 am

Mk1rceme wrote:Hope I get this right...the first pic with the white maple leaf is for a CF member qualification. The second pic with the red maple leaf is for foreign military qualification.

The white leaf means your part of a CF. "Para Unit", PPCLI, Vandoos, RCR, for Today, pre 1995 it was the Airborne Regiment,
    that wore White Leaf aka Silver Leaf.

The Red Leaf signifies you have qulifide in a Basic CF. Jump Course. Canadian or Foreign army,
    however the Cloth Wings worn By US, Briton ect., are differently made from The ones Canadian Soldier wear.
    zvez
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Registration date : 2009-02-21
    Number of posts : 419

Post by zvez Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:56 pm

I'll add my few in. The canadian made subdued ones at the bottom of these pics, I'm skeptical that they're legit. Another interesting one is the top subdued wing on the other photo. This is ca. 1970s for US soldiers qualified with canadian jump wings. I actually got these at a shop in the 70s just off base when I first started collecting.

Canadian Para wings and patches help required. Canada10
    Canadian Para wings and patches help required. Canada11
    Canadian Para wings and patches help required. Canada12

Third pic is of one of the first refs done on canada abn insignia.
    Chris
    Spañiard
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by Spañiard Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:23 pm

zvez wrote:I'll add my few in. The canadian made subdued ones at the bottom of these pics, I'm skeptical that they're legit. Another interesting one is the top subdued wing on the other photo. This is ca. 1970s for US soldiers qualified with canadian jump wings. I actually got these at a shop in the 70s just off base when I first started collecting.

Third pic is of one of the first refs done on canada abn insignia.
    Chris

There's been numerous US Para that have qualified in a CF. Basic Jump coarse through the decades.
    And have come across US Pickers or Estate Sales auctioning same or other CF. Airborne,or wings.

On your first Pic the Subdued Canada Wing shoulder epaulet patch, notice the tips are rounded, these is the Old Style. The new ones in late 80, the patch was squared off.

The small metal White and Red Maple Leaf are dual qualification, with the veins on the leaf. They were approved in 1989, however only Introduced in 2001.

The one with the yellow wings is the original dual qualification wings, introduced in 1975. However some were privately made, in yours is it stamped on the back? Take a Magnet what happens, and can you provide a more clear picture, need to see the veins on leaf, the back picture of all badges or patches is needed for proper I.D., since Sooooooooooo many Repos have been produced.

A More clear picture of the Very Little Metal wings.

The second Picture.

The Combat Subdued Wings are Repo, and both of the Garrason, aka Work Dress side by side would be nice
    to see pic of back. The One {W.D.} thats white leaf with the rounded wider wings is Real.

The Dress wings with the Silver leaf are Repo.

CF. Dual Qualification Wings, 1975. "Silver" Notice the difference from yours which is "Stainless Steel".
    Canadian Para wings and patches help required. Kgrhqq10

Canadian Para wings and patches help required. Kgrhqr10

Airborne Dress Silver Wings, CF. Red Leaf Dress Wings.
    Canadian Para wings and patches help required. Cdn_wi10

Canadian Para wings and patches help required. Cdn_wi11

US Issue CF. Red Leaf Para Wings, 70s and 80s.
    Canadian Para wings and patches help required. Us_iss10

Canadian Para wings and patches help required. Us_iss11

Canadian Para wings and patches help required. Cdn_ai10

Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:51 am

Hi.

Here is the back of the Red Patch and Metal wings ( Nemo 84).

Canadian Para wings and patches help required. Dsc03412
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:54 am

And the rear of White Patch and wings, no markings on this one Wink

Canadian Para wings and patches help required. Dsc03413
    Spañiard
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by Spañiard Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:13 pm

On your first Picture the Metal wings are real,I have some Issue with the the Subdued Wings.

In Picture Number Two The Subdued Wings are the real deal, the Metal are Repo.

Still will like to see a more clear pictures of the Yellow Wings I believe they have the Black Vein,
    and those small ones on the Top, No Rush if you can.

Second World War Type I Red Maple Leaf Incognito.

Canadian Para wings and patches help required. Pictur10

Canadian Para wings and patches help required. Pictur11

Canadian Para wings and patches help required. Pictur14

Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:56 pm

Many thanks for your confirmation and advice, brilliant Mate. Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 4:34 am