IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
Gulf91
loski
saltefanden
Easy Gee
sh4pak
parafal
10 posters

Boots

loski
    loski
    Captain
    Captain

Name : Graham
    Registration date : 2010-08-11
    Number of posts : 919

Boots - Page 2 Empty Re: Boots

Post by loski Thu May 31, 2012 10:17 am

sh4pak wrote:--Oi, Graham!

I found some people in France who offer excellent prices and very good selection, and will ship to the US, via the link you posted. Getting set to order a pair right now.

I never even knew about the .fr option (in all fairness, it just doesn't come up at ebay.com, ever).

Couldn't have managed it without your help. Thanks very much!
    Hi Dan
    Im glad to have been of help most items of French origin are much cheaper on ebay.fr I hope you enjoy your Rangers when they arrive

Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Gary
    Registration date : 2010-06-12
    Number of posts : 3591

Post by Easy Gee Thu May 31, 2012 1:55 pm

Hi krzysztof, fantastic and diverse range of French footwear, that's some collection, even the wellies!!

I would be keen to find out more about the Desert Boots, who makes them, when were they first issued etc.
    krzysztof
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2012-05-23
    Number of posts : 14

Post by krzysztof Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:48 pm

Easy Gee wrote:Hi krzysztof, fantastic and diverse range of French footwear, that's some collection, even the wellies!!

I would be keen to find out more about the Desert Boots, who makes them, when were they first issued etc.

Hello Easy Gee ,here are details from box,
    Boots - Page 2 Hpim5319
    Boots - Page 2 Hpim5320
    I'll take more shots Sunday and post them here
    I'm not sure when those boots where introduced into service,for sure 2010 ,because My friend who get them for me have a pair of them in use from that year.
    I've paid for both (desert and temperate) 180 euro,so less than same boots cost in France
    e.g. here
    http://www.trancheemilitaire.com/fr/rangers/2292-chaussures-zone-desertique-armee-francaise-argueyrolles-.html
    http://www.trancheemilitaire.com/fr/rangers/2280-chaussures-de-combat-armee-francaise-argueyrolles-.html

rest of my French boots I've posted on pics are as follow (from left)
    chaussures sport (old type)
    gore-tex grand froid boots
    jungle/desert boots-old type
    chaussures sport new type
    rubber boots for NBC suit
    second pic:
    Rangers model with black lining
    working boots
    Rangers made of smooth leather,and with red mark on sole
    Rangers with brown lining
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:52 pm

Excellent information krzysztof, 2010 is interesting to hear for the Desert boots year of issue especially, I will keep my eye out for a pair!!
    krzysztof
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by krzysztof Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:55 pm

Easy Gee wrote:Excellent information krzysztof, 2010 is interesting to hear for the Desert boots year of issue especially, I will keep my eye out for a pair!!
    what size You're wearing Easy Gee?
    if price don't scare You i can ask Fahrid ,maybe he can get one pair for You
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:43 am

krzysztof wrote:
    Easy Gee wrote:Excellent information krzysztof, 2010 is interesting to hear for the Desert boots year of issue especially, I will keep my eye out for a pair!!
    what size You're wearing Easy Gee?
    if price don't scare You i can ask Fahrid ,maybe he can get one pair for You

Many thanks for the offer, but you guessed it right the price is too scary for me right now, I generally do not pay any more than £30 for French boots.
    krzysztof
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by krzysztof Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:20 pm

I'm sure the price will go down sooner or later,but I couldn't wait so long Very Happy
    good luck with hunting
    cheers!
    sh4pak
    sh4pak
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

Registration date : 2012-04-23
    Number of posts : 626

Post by sh4pak Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:31 pm

--Hello, Gentlemen.

I realize that most of you are either in Europe or Britain, so... the earth doesn't move when you see these, but my Rangers finally arrived:

Boots - Page 2 7415715404_e5c8d37417_c

And I am pleased, no end. Ebay.com cretins ask up to 500.00 US for these, plus high shipping. They cannot be gotten at any surplus stores in my area, and... basically constituted a "Grail" item for me. Loski got me the link, and I got me some boots!

Y'all were a great help. THANK YOU!
    loski
    loski
    Captain
    Captain

Post by loski Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:25 pm

sh4pak wrote:
    --Hello, Gentlemen.

I realize that most of you are either in Europe or Britain, so... the earth doesn't move when you see these, but my Rangers finally arrived:

Boots - Page 2 7415715404_e5c8d37417_c

And I am pleased, no end. Ebay.com cretins ask up to 500.00 US for these, plus high shipping. They cannot be gotten at any surplus stores in my area, and... basically constituted a "Grail" item for me. Loski got me the link, and I got me some boots!

Y'all were a great help. THANK YOU!

No Probs nice Rangers I hope you enjoy wearing them
    sh4pak
    sh4pak
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

Post by sh4pak Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:41 pm

Yep-- I did the first treatment of saddle-soap upon arrival, and walked around a little. NOS leather is a bit harder to break in than the kind of pre-destroyed leather you get nowadays-- but I am okay with that. I am completely okay with Old World Craftsmanship (of which these are a fine example).

I also happened to have some high-speed inserts, that do much to enhance the comfort.

I was particularly intrigued by the fact that these are basically what we Yanks call "Rough-Out," meaning that the polished leather is on the inside-- but that the outer finish was not "suede." My guess is that they'll wear better for it.

ANYWAY...

Yeah. I'm happy.

loski
    loski
    Captain
    Captain

Post by loski Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:59 pm

sh4pak wrote:Yep-- I did the first treatment of saddle-soap upon arrival, and walked around a little. NOS leather is a bit harder to break in than the kind of pre-destroyed leather you get nowadays-- but I am okay with that. I am completely okay with Old World Craftsmanship (of which these are a fine example).

I also happened to have some high-speed inserts, that do much to enhance the comfort.

I was particularly intrigued by the fact that these are basically what we Yanks call "Rough-Out," meaning that the polished leather is on the inside-- but that the outer finish was not "suede." My guess is that they'll wear better for it.

ANYWAY...

Yeah. I'm happy.

I found that treating the inside and outside of mine with a liberal dose of liquid dubbin and left them to soak for a couple of days that put some life back into the leather then it was down to use to finish the job Sorted
    sh4pak
    sh4pak
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

Post by sh4pak Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:08 pm

Yar! Do you have a recipe for dubbin? Believe it or not, it cannot be readily obtained here. I remember reading about it back in the time when I wore DM's, but since then, and ever after, I have not managed to find it at a cobbler's. We have "glove oil," for baseball mitts, and a thousand permutations on "mink oil" (which is essentially petroleum jelly with glitter in it), but no dubbin. I know I could use interwebz to resolve this, but since I have the ear of an Englishman at the moment-- I intend to take advantage of it.

We are not a civilised people. =]
    loski
    loski
    Captain
    Captain

Post by loski Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:16 pm

I dont know what was in it i bought a can from a saddlers. you could try a saddle store they should be able to help or try putting Shoe Dubbing into ebay
    sh4pak
    sh4pak
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

Post by sh4pak Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:29 pm

=]

Yeah. I was trying to cheat.

I'll get some-- at some point.
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:04 pm

Very nice Dan, glad you got a pair Mate.

I'm still breaking mine in, my tip I rubbed a load of clear boot polish into them
    ( lots of) and left them out in the sun, the heat did the trick as the polish soaked right in and did not affect the finish of the boots too much, when they were dry, buffed them up a bit, and sprayed some leather food on them ( the kind of stuff you spray on your leather sofa or car seats) let that dry in and then wore them for a week to bend them to my foot shape.
    With other boots in the past I have wore them in the shower ( odd yeah ,but it has worked a treat) but with mine being 53 years old I was some what reluctant to give them the hot shower treatment.

In fact recently my wife caught me in the shower with a pair of Wellco Jungle boots on, and yeah she was mystified/freaked out/exasperated, I guess she is used to my weird ways..good job, any other woman wiould have left me by now...anyway good luck breaking them in Matey Laughing
    loski
    loski
    Captain
    Captain

Post by loski Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:56 pm

One tip I have heard to soften stiff boots is to put them in the bath and P*ss in em and leave over night to soak then wear em. I have never tried them as I object to my feet stinking like a BR public karzi.
    sh4pak
    sh4pak
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

Post by sh4pak Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:12 pm

--It makes sense, back during the frontier days, most buildings were treated with horse urine to weather-treat wood, and Vikings used boiled down urine for just about everything, from treating leather, to wounds. They also say that if a stingray zaps you, to p!ss on the wound...

Personally, I figure that these constitute "desperate measures." They're good things to know if society were to suddenly go on the fritz, but in the meantime, I figure I'll try to stick to *intermediate* means. Somewhere between the Middle-Ages, and now. Dubbin seems really perfect, and Kiwi makes their own version, which isn't hard to get (on ebay, of course-- you know I went and checked).

Making one's own is a little more complicated than I was initially lead to believe. Apparently, in addition to the tallow, and the beeswax, you need codlivier oil. Why a cod's liver is so important, nobody seems to know, but they all say you need it-- and some assert that it should be extracted from vitamin supplements.

o.O

I'll go with Kiwi on this one. The boots are dated '62. No point in risking it.

And Gary... you know, my friend the Ranger told me this: "Never get caught in the jungle without your boots on." I reckon that the shower is about as close as most of us get to a "rain forest." Wink
    loski
    loski
    Captain
    Captain

Post by loski Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:00 am

sh4pak wrote:--It makes sense, back during the frontier days, most buildings were treated with horse urine to weather-treat wood, and Vikings used boiled down urine for just about everything, from treating leather, to wounds. They also say that if a stingray zaps you, to p!ss on the wound...

Personally, I figure that these constitute "desperate measures." They're good things to know if society were to suddenly go on the fritz, but in the meantime, I figure I'll try to stick to *intermediate* means. Somewhere between the Middle-Ages, and now. Dubbin seems really perfect, and Kiwi makes their own version, which isn't hard to get (on ebay, of course-- you know I went and checked).

Making one's own is a little more complicated than I was initially lead to believe. Apparently, in addition to the tallow, and the beeswax, you need codlivier oil. Why a cod's liver is so important, nobody seems to know, but they all say you need it-- and some assert that it should be extracted from vitamin supplements.

o.O

The stuff I use is

WREN'S
    waterproofing
    leatheroil
    (liquid dubbing)
    comes in a browm and yellow bottle shaped tin

I'll go with Kiwi on this one. The boots are dated '62. No point in risking it.

And Gary... you know, my friend the Ranger told me this: "Never get caught in the jungle without your boots on." I reckon that the shower is about as close as most of us get to a "rain forest." Wink
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:55 am

Err, here's mine, I should have posted them here in the first place,sorry fella's. Embarassed

Boots - Page 2 Dsc06667
    loski
    loski
    Captain
    Captain

Post by loski Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:09 pm

krzysztof wrote:
    Easy Gee wrote:Hi krzysztof, fantastic and diverse range of French footwear, that's some collection, even the wellies!!

Hello Easy Gee ,here are details from box,
    Boots - Page 2 Hpim5319
    Boots - Page 2 Hpim5320
    I'll take more shots Sunday and post them here
    I'm not sure when those boots where introduced into service,for sure 2010 ,because My friend who get them for me have a pair of them in use from that year.
    I've paid for both (desert and temperate) 180 euro,so less than same boots cost in France
    e.g. here
    http://www.trancheemilitaire.com/fr/rangers/2292-chaussures-zone-desertique-armee-francaise-argueyrolles-.html
    http://www.trancheemilitaire.com/fr/rangers/2280-chaussures-de-combat-armee-francaise-argueyrolles-.html

rest of my French boots I've posted on pics are as follow (from left)
    chaussures sport (old type)
    gore-tex grand froid boots
    jungle/desert boots-old type
    chaussures sport new type
    rubber boots for NBC suit
    second pic:
    Rangers model with black lining
    working boots
    Rangers made of smooth leather,and with red mark on sole
    Rangers with brown lining
    Hi you are a lucky bloke the Rangers made of smooth leather and with a red mark on the sole are IMO the best the Gendarmerie issue
    AustralianCamoCollector

Registration date : 2014-08-16
    Number of posts : 1

Boots - Page 2 Empty Brown Mle 1952

Post by AustralianCamoCollector Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:42 pm

Guys i have a wonderful pair of these but...for the life of me i haven't a clue why...but no matter what i do i can't stop creasing/slight cracked appreance infront of the tounge where the foot flexes...Loski's boots don't seem to have that issue and i just wondered if i was doing anything wrong ...all i use is a light brown dubbin made by Joseph Liddey which works on my old brown Corcorans to protect and soften them
    Haydamaka
    Haydamaka
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Andy
    Registration date : 2016-02-12
    Number of posts : 2687

Post by Haydamaka Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:54 am

Hello all!

I wrote a review about "Rangers" (BMJA 65 or BM65) - the Boots of the French Armed Forces

...The French military boots "Rangers" (also called "Rangeos" or "Rangeots"), as they are called by the French servicemen, are easily recognizable among all the other military boots. These regular French military boots (Rangers réglementaires de l'Armée Française) complete the appearance of a French soldier from the late 1970s to the 2010s.

The full name of these boots in French are: "Rangers" BMJA 65 (Brodequin de Marche à
    Jambière Attenante) or just "Rangers" BM65 (Brodequin de Marche modèle 65).
    Full text and the appropriate photos can be found at:

http://cartalana.com/002-041.php#0025ba

The pics are clickeable by right button of the mouse, the next and the previous pages of the review can be accessed by left and right arows down the page.
    Haydamaka
    Haydamaka
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Andy
    Registration date : 2016-02-12
    Number of posts : 2687

Post by Haydamaka Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:57 am

Another review is dedicated to "Pataugas" - canvas and rubber boots of the French army ("Pataugas" - les chaussures de brousse de l'armée française)

The first model of lightweight rubber-soled canvas boots intended for use in the jungles of the Pacific theater of operations was developed by the US military in 1942, during the Second World War, and got the name M-1942 (or simply M-42). However, until the end of the war, this model was not wide-spread. Moreover, in 1945 a more convenient and perfect boots model 1945 was created.

At that time the French troops in the Far East, which were very busy with post-war reconstruction of their former colonial influence in Indochina, still had no similar footwear for tropical climates. In 1948, France began developing the concept of its own canvas boots with rubber soles and its detailed specification.

By request of the French Intendance (Quartermaster Service) in the Far East (l'Intendance en Extrême Orient) in the early 1950s the first model of canvas boots with rubber soles for use in hot climates ("Chaussures de brousse", literally "boots for the bush") was created.

These early boots were dark olive-green in color, they featured structural seams covered by stitched black cotton ribbons, black cotton bootlaces were threaded into aluminum eyelets, and the black rubber out-sole was relatively thin and stinky, spreading strong rubber odor around.

The construction of the boot's top was reinforced by metal rivets at the base of the lacing system. Further on this early model was widely used in the beginning of the war in Algeria. By 1952, there were several modifications to such boots, and they used to be manufactured both by military industry factories and by private producers (contractors of the Defense Ministry of France). The main requirement was the ability to fulfill the requirements for materials and quality established by the military specification.
    Full text and the appropriate photos can be found at:

http://cartalana.com/002-161.php#0072ba

As it was told above, all the pics are clickeable by right button of the mouse, the next and the previous pages of the review can be accessed by left and right arows down the page.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 5:47 am