IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

NBC smock mark 2 does anyone have any pics of this?

geetoo

Registration date : 2012-05-04
    Number of posts : 7

NBC smock mark 2 does anyone have any pics of this? Empty NBC smock mark 2 does anyone have any pics of this?

Post by geetoo Fri May 04, 2012 6:32 am

Hi all my first post here.

I'm looking for pics of the NBC protective suit, smock Mk II.

I have a Mk III myself in DPM, the "nodie" smock with hood but have never seen a Mk II. Does anyone know the difference between these two? Thanks in advance.
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3858

NBC smock mark 2 does anyone have any pics of this? Empty Re: NBC smock mark 2 does anyone have any pics of this?

Post by Gulf91 Fri May 04, 2012 7:25 am

Not sure how accurate this is but have a look here----

http://www.crusader80.co.uk/nbc.html
    geetoo

NBC smock mark 2 does anyone have any pics of this? Empty Re: NBC smock mark 2 does anyone have any pics of this?

Post by geetoo Fri May 04, 2012 8:03 am

Hi yes I did already, it's one of the few things that shows up with the google search for nbc smock mk 2... but the pic only shows the smock vacuum packed
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 Fri May 04, 2012 8:06 am

Is the MKII the green type with separate hood?

If so i think i have one somewhere that i could post pics of.
    Bury_Dave
    Bury_Dave
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Name : Dave
    Registration date : 2012-02-14
    Number of posts : 822

Post by Bury_Dave Fri May 04, 2012 8:14 am

I thought the mark II was the green, hooded, over the head with a front pocket version. The mark I was teh one made from a carbonised grey material with green cloth over kneew elbows and witrh a seperate hood. In fact the hood was the type worn by 22 SAS at the Iranian Embassey siege in 1980. No flash nomex type stuff back then !!

Dave
    geetoo

Post by geetoo Fri May 04, 2012 9:50 am

Well what I can tell you is this: the mark IV has a full front zip and the mark III has a hood (non detacheable), indeed with the square front pocket. It existed in both olive green and later on also in DPM.
    I don't know much about the mk I and II, I suppose the mk I is really old and the mk II just saw one on fleabay going for £2.20 (!!) but I couldn't get it as it would only allow bids from the UK. It said Aug 1973. The mk III I have is from 1984.
    I read that the SAS raid on the Iranian Embassy featured mk II nbc suits but I have no pics of them. Also they would have been black in that case?
    Bury_Dave
    Bury_Dave
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post by Bury_Dave Fri May 04, 2012 10:04 am

The hoods were a dark charcoal grey. Had large collars to go over the collarless smocks and a bit of elastic at the back . The trousers (if i remember right - you said it , it was a LONG time ago ....) had velcro on the legs to take the legs in and at the waist.

Neither hood nor clothing was made of a cloth as such. It was almost a loose fibred material which the carbon layer was bonded to. They went to pieces in the rain too. There were also pieces of material on the legs and arms to detect chemical agents.

Funny enough i still have a newspaper article from the siege showing the kit worn by 22. Only NBC hood were used with coveralls and high leg boots - NI ones i think ......

Dave
    geetoo

Post by geetoo Fri May 04, 2012 10:47 am

So you're talking about the mk I smock right? Are you sure?
    Also I'm a bit confused about what the SAS wore back then - only the hood?
    Any chances of a scan of said article? Very Happy
    Bury_Dave
    Bury_Dave
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post by Bury_Dave Fri May 04, 2012 11:08 am

Can't place my hands directly on it but i know i didn't throw it away. I also have some reference books that have the noddy suits in them (so-called because the hoods invariably sttod up rather than hug your head and so made you look like the kids character Noddy Very Happy ). I'll see if i can find some photos but won't be able to scan until Tuesday as we have a long weekend coming up and i only have a scanner at work.
    Bon weekend
    Dave
    geetoo

Post by geetoo Fri May 04, 2012 11:38 am

No worries mate thanks anyway, have a great weekend. Smile
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 Sat May 05, 2012 12:47 pm

Not sure what type this is to be honest and its a first for me-its been rolled up in an NBC/Poncho Roll since i bought and first time ive ever unrolled it.

NBC smock mark 2 does anyone have any pics of this? Bfaba003

NBC smock mark 2 does anyone have any pics of this? E5453a23

NBC smock mark 2 does anyone have any pics of this? 4497553e

NBC smock mark 2 does anyone have any pics of this? 7586a083
    geetoo

Post by geetoo Sat May 05, 2012 1:44 pm

You're a star! Wow look at that thing it looks like a rag! I suppose that's the mkI?
    I can't really read the label, but I think it doesn't have a date on it? Maybe if we can read the NSN and do a google search something will show up? Anyway thanks for the pics m8 appreciate it.
    Bury_Dave
    Bury_Dave
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post by Bury_Dave Sat May 05, 2012 3:54 pm

That's the kiddy ! Very Happy
    geetoo

Post by geetoo Sat May 05, 2012 5:06 pm

So this must be Mk I, not Mk II right...?
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 Sun May 06, 2012 8:44 am

These are the other bits that came with the smock.

Also SOMEWHERE have the over boots and hood for the smock(same type used by the SAS during the embassy siege)-both sealed.

NBC smock mark 2 does anyone have any pics of this? 130fff0b

NBC smock mark 2 does anyone have any pics of this? 36a9d2d6

NBC smock mark 2 does anyone have any pics of this? 635ee307

NBC smock mark 2 does anyone have any pics of this? 156dd551

NBC smock mark 2 does anyone have any pics of this? E8a89405

NBC smock mark 2 does anyone have any pics of this? Dea726f1

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 4:55 pm