IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Unknown Camo Pants- Made in USSR stamp

nkomo
    nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Name : Arch
    Registration date : 2009-02-13
    Number of posts : 3324

Unknown Camo Pants- Made in USSR stamp Empty Unknown Camo Pants- Made in USSR stamp

Post by nkomo Wed May 09, 2012 3:08 am

Back in the early 90's after the Soviet Union break-up, Russia exported a lot of uniforms to the United States. You could go to gun shows and find piles of used Soviet uniforms ranging from camo to standard field uniforms.

One time I was going through a pile of Soviet uniforms and found this unusual pair of camo trousers. It didn't look like any Soviet pattern I had encountered, so I picked it up anyway for like $5

I had originally thought these pants were Portugese, but I don't think that is correct. Does anyone have a CLUE as to the origin of these pants? I have showed these on several camouflage collector forums and no one has been able to figure it out.

Unknown Camo Pants- Made in USSR stamp 20096810
    Unknown Camo Pants- Made in USSR stamp 20096811

Officer Candidate
    Officer Candidate

Registration date : 2011-04-02
    Number of posts : 507

Unknown Camo Pants- Made in USSR stamp Empty Re: Unknown Camo Pants- Made in USSR stamp

Post by shoru Wed May 09, 2012 10:39 am

I've never seen this pattern before... interesting item. Smile
    nkomo
    nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Unknown Camo Pants- Made in USSR stamp Empty Re: Unknown Camo Pants- Made in USSR stamp

Post by nkomo Wed May 09, 2012 1:36 pm

Thanks, Shoru. No one seems to have seen this pattern before and it is driving me crazy! Laughing

Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Name : Mike
    Registration date : 2009-02-18
    Number of posts : 172

Post by mcoleman762 Wed May 09, 2012 1:37 pm

Hey Arch,

I'm pretty sure I know what these are. They are definately not Soviet. You won't believe it when I tell you. Shocked

Let me guess, the knees are reenforced with horizontal stitching? Is there a tiny size tag in the back of the waist?

Mike
    drmatz
    drmatz

Name : danilo matz
    Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 2103

Post by drmatz Wed May 09, 2012 1:40 pm

looks a lot like portuguese lizard pants... my guess is either that was surplus provided by the soviets to either mozambique, or angola...

http://picasaweb.google.com/danilomatz
    nkomo
    nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by nkomo Wed May 09, 2012 2:01 pm

mcoleman762 wrote:Hey Arch,

I'm pretty sure I know what these are. They are definately not Soviet. You won't believe it when I tell you. Shocked

Let me guess, the knees are reenforced with horizontal stitching? Is there a tiny size tag in the back of the waist?

Mike
    Mike,
    No horizontal stitching on the knees and no size tag either.

Officer Candidate
    Officer Candidate

Post by shoru Wed May 09, 2012 2:11 pm

nkomo, may I ask a question, since when are you collecting military related items?
    nkomo
    nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by nkomo Wed May 09, 2012 2:30 pm

I have been collecting militaria for 27 years. Very Happy My dad got me into it when I was 10 years of age and I've been going strong ever since.

ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by nkomo Wed May 09, 2012 2:36 pm

drmatz wrote:looks a lot like portuguese lizard pants... my guess is either that was surplus provided by the soviets to either mozambique, or angola...

Could be, Danilo.

Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Registration date : 2010-12-23
    Number of posts : 731

Post by saltefanden Wed May 09, 2012 2:46 pm

Yikes, 27 years?!?

I've only really been at it for 4, and already the girlfriend is starting to nag and complain...

What's your secret Arch, change house or change wife?

I thought Portuguese too on the trousers, but will look forward to learn more from the good people on this very forum!
    nkomo
    nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by nkomo Wed May 09, 2012 4:12 pm

saltefanden wrote:Yikes, 27 years?!?

I've only really been at it for 4, and already the girlfriend is starting to nag and complain...

What's your secret Arch, change house or change wife?

I thought Portuguese too on the trousers, but will look forward to learn more from the good people on this very forum!

Well......I have a VERY understanding wife. She is very supportive of my hobby and comes along on my surplus shop adventures. My wife even buys me items for my collection. For instance, she bought me a modified desert tiger stripe shirt and a Blackhawk I.T.S. HPFU AOR-1 set for Father's Day!!!!! To top it off, she is even helping me make home made mannequins for my display I'm doing this month. Very Happy

NOW.....I have moved to a bigger house since we got married. As of right now, my "war room" is housed in a 100sq. ft. room, but am in the process (albeit SLOW process) of moving to a 400 sq. ft. room.

Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Registration date : 2010-12-23
    Number of posts : 731

Post by saltefanden Wed May 09, 2012 4:24 pm

I gotta work on the 'supportive girlfriend' angle then! Very Happy

Cheers Arch, and hope we all find closure on your trouser's provinance!
    mcoleman762
    mcoleman762
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Name : Mike
    Registration date : 2009-02-18
    Number of posts : 172

Post by mcoleman762 Wed May 09, 2012 6:29 pm

nkomo wrote:Mike,

Interesting. These trousers are a differant variant than what I was expecting. What you have there are a pair of South African Recce Portuguese "copy camo" trousers. They were made specifically for cross-border ops, and were designed to be sterile. As produced, they only have a small size tag, and sometimes a paper tag denoting the copy pattern. Please see the following thread. Halfway down you'll see Gilles posted photos of his Recce copy Port shirt.

https://iacmc.forumotion.com/t3791-unknown-portuguese-uniform

The trousers that go with this shirt usually lack side pockets, and have heavy reenforcement at the knees.

Your trousers are a slight color variation, which I've seen only seen a couple examples of. Notice that the green is much brighter on Gilles' example. The color variance of your trousers isn't just due to fading, as I've seen new examples with that same muted green. You'll see the pattern is the same though. I can post some photos once I'm at my home computer.

This Recce copy pattern is quite distinct. It's made to replicate the Portuguese M63 lizard pattern and is a close copy. However it lacks the fine detail of the original, with the shapes appearing more thick and blotchy.

How on Earth that ended up in a pile of scrap Soviet uniforms is a mystery.

Cheers,

Mike
    nkomo
    nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by nkomo Wed May 09, 2012 9:01 pm

mcoleman762 wrote:
    nkomo wrote:Mike,

Interesting. These trousers are a differant variant than what I was expecting. What you have there are a pair of South African Recce Portuguese "copy camo" trousers. They were made specifically for cross-border ops, and were designed to be sterile. As produced, they only have a small size tag, and sometimes a paper tag denoting the copy pattern. Please see the following thread. Halfway down you'll see Gilles posted photos of his Recce copy Port shirt.

https://iacmc.forumotion.com/t3791-unknown-portuguese-uniform

The trousers that go with this shirt usually lack side pockets, and have heavy reenforcement at the knees.

Your trousers are a slight color variation, which I've seen only seen a couple examples of. Notice that the green is much brighter on Gilles' example. The color variance of your trousers isn't just due to fading, as I've seen new examples with that same muted green. You'll see the pattern is the same though. I can post some photos once I'm at my home computer.

This Recce copy pattern is quite distinct. It's made to replicate the Portuguese M63 lizard pattern and is a close copy. However it lacks the fine detail of the original, with the shapes appearing more thick and blotchy.

How on Earth that ended up in a pile of scrap Soviet uniforms is a mystery.

Cheers,

Mike

Thank you very much, Mike! Very Happy

Officer Candidate
    Officer Candidate

Post by shoru Thu May 10, 2012 12:31 pm

Wow, you already collected gear when I wasn't even born, haha. Very Happy
    I guess times have changed, especially the prices...

Kind Regards,
    Kolja

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:04 am