IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
lammasulyon
CollectinSteve
kammo-man
sh4pak
8 posters

Six-Color Cover

sh4pak
    sh4pak
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

Registration date : 2012-04-23
    Number of posts : 626

Six-Color Cover Empty Six-Color Cover

Post by sh4pak Thu May 10, 2012 3:31 pm

--I've discussed this with Philip, and we've not come to a firm conclusion. According to lore, there were never any six-color caps that were issued. This one is odd:

Six-Color Cover 7166506484_bc9dc89480_c
    Six-Color Cover 7166505008_ac852c061e_c

On a normal commercial/ surplus item, there might be a bogus DLA #.

On rare occasions, one might see a DCA #, and that would qualify the item as being a special contract item, but, according to a source who seemed to know quite a bit, DCA's did not come about until the 1990's.

So, the question is, how would anyone known to have come up with a DCA back in 1984?

There's an historical incongruity.

Like most things I ask questions about, I expect that this is easily resolved by one with knowledge, but intensive use of google hasn't nailed this one, yet.

I wouldn't ask for help if I hadn't already tried. Smile
    sh4pak
    sh4pak
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

Six-Color Cover Empty Re: Six-Color Cover

Post by sh4pak Thu May 10, 2012 3:32 pm

--Sorry-- 1986. I guess I had Orwell on the brain.
    kammo-man
    Major
    Major

Registration date : 2010-02-02
    Number of posts : 1086

Post by kammo-man Wed May 30, 2012 3:21 pm

made for army - navy shops
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6920

Post by CollectinSteve Wed May 30, 2012 4:14 pm

I've got two caps in 6 color desert; one Army and one Marines. They are both unissued and legitimate. I'll see if I can find them and grab the dates and what prefix the contract number has.

Bancroft is a legitimate contractor, 1986 is not too early for the pattern. The label format looks good too. I'd guess the hat is legitimate and not a well produced fake.

As for DLA, the Defense Logistics Agency got it's name in 1977. I don't remember when they changed the prefix, but 1986 doesn't seem out of the range off the top of my head.

Steve
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Wed May 30, 2012 9:45 pm

Going through some stuff tonight I found a 1986 dated DLA contract 6 Color Desert jacket. It was obviously worn by someone in the Air Force. More evidence that your hat is legit. Also, it is correct for it to have an OD rank on it, not desert, since that was all they had at the time.

Steve
    sh4pak
    sh4pak
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

Post by sh4pak Wed May 30, 2012 10:24 pm

--Thanks, Steve. This bit probably came from Andrews, or maybe Bolling. Could have been several other places, but my guess, like yours, is USAF.

Thank you for looking , and responding. My appreciation for these things has deepened a great deal since I started talking to you guys, and I'm very grateful.

--D.

lammasulyon
    lammasulyon
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Name : Henry G
    Registration date : 2010-07-13
    Number of posts : 368

Post by lammasulyon Wed May 30, 2012 10:30 pm

Six-Color Cover Gwb_ch10

Both seem to be wearing caps...left is George H.W Bush
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Wed May 30, 2012 11:24 pm

Yup, and it isn't hard to find Stormin Norman Schwarzkopf in one:

Six-Color Cover Norman-Schwarzkopf-9476401-1-402

Six-Color Cover Normrick

Of course it's impossible to know if the hats and/or boonies are genuine issue or private purchase. There were all kinds of stories in the popular media during Desert Shield that talked about how Army/Navy shops were picked clean of anything in desert colors because the military simply didn't have the stocks of uniforms on hand.

Steve
    Mercenary25
    Mercenary25

Name : Jeremy
    Registration date : 2009-03-02
    Number of posts : 1419

Post by Mercenary25 Thu May 31, 2012 2:42 am

All usmc six points cap and Army patrol cap are commercials, made for private purchases but never officially issued. The only issued head wears were boonie cap and K-pot cover.

Six-Color Cover Oifbanner

http://oefoif.forumotion.net/forum.htm
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Thu May 31, 2012 11:49 am

Correction... I got my DCA and DLAs mixed up in my last post. If it was DLA that would be one thing, but I don't know what to make of a DCA number in that time period. Can someone show information that suggests a DCA number for 1986 is invalid?

I checked my two hats and the 8 point Marines hat has the following:

DCA 100-88-M-22016
    8405-01-110-4885

My patrol cap (like Schwarzkopf's)

DLA 100-83-8-22915
    8405-01-110-5021

I find it rather hard to believe that all of these are fakes. In my experience the faked labels have screaming problems with them.

It's possible that the items were made in small quantities and generally not available for Desert Shield/Storm. Vets saying "I was never issued one" could be entirely correct for that period. All the hats I've seen have early 1980s dates and we know that supplies in 1990 were inadequate.

Unless someone can prove the labels faked, I think they can't be so easily dismissed. Wouldn't be the first time I've heard "that doesn't exist" when in fact it was "they were never issued". Not the same thing.

Steve
    downboy
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Name : Nes
    Registration date : 2010-05-23
    Number of posts : 162

Post by downboy Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:20 am

From a 1992 US Cavalry catalog.USCAV puts in a note if an item is Issue.
    Six-Color Cover Copy_o13
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:04 pm

US Cav, and other big catalog companies, very rarely sell genuine issue items until after they are out of service or are surplussed out as used. That's because anything other than that is illegal Wink

Commercial production of US military uniforms (at least since the 1990s) has gone right along with the legitimate stuff. In fact, when the ACU was first being issued a soldier could more easily find a commercial copy through places like US Cavalry and BQM than through the Army supply system. I still remember 25th ID's website threatening soldiers who even thought of wearing a non-standard issue uniform.

Steve
    Mercenary25
    Mercenary25

Name : Jeremy
    Registration date : 2009-03-02
    Number of posts : 1419

Post by Mercenary25 Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:47 am

There's a difference between fake and commercial. Those hats are NOT fake.... Just commercial pieces which were available to US troops at that time. There are NO "real" issue hats in this pattern except for boonie hat. The manual clearly stated it. (I couldn't recall where the scan of it is at). But once again, doesn't mean it was never worn. You have photographic evidences of Generals wearing those hats.

IMO, this thread should be moved to DS or US section.

Six-Color Cover Oifbanner

http://oefoif.forumotion.net/forum.htm

ripcord likes this post

sh4pak
    sh4pak
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

Post by sh4pak Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:34 am

No argument on my end, Jeremy. I was only curious about the "DCA" number, and I reckon we have all of that sorted out by now.

And... I do appreciate everyone's input. It has been a fun thread.

--Dan
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:23 pm

Yeah, the problem is it is illegal for a contractor to use a DCA or DLA number unless they are authorized to. And if they are authorized, that defacto means it is an official DoD item. Whether the regs state the hat exists or not isn't as relevant as the contract number. There's all kinds of stuff that have official contract numbers yet aren't mentioned in the regs.

There are two possibilities. The first is that the labels on these items are faked to make them look like legitimate issue. The second is that these were contracted for, and purchased by, the US government with the intention of issuing them. They either issued them on a limited basis (the contract numbers are all 1980s) or never got around to putting them in the system for whatever reason. Although it is illogical and a waste to contract and buy things that aren't used, the DoD often has it's own special form of logic which we mere private sector mortals can not hope to understand Very Happy

In my opinion, the first possibility is not the case for the items I've seen. My experience is the Chinese factories do a HORRIBLE job reproducing the labels. They either use their cheap plastic labels, which is a dead giveaway right there, cite the wrong nomenclature, have spelling and/or formatting mistakes, and/or have a contract number that isn't in synch with the item. Oh, and usually they are all the same (no variation).

Which is why my opinion is these items are legitimate government contract items and not the product of an elaborate, first of it's kind Chinese hoax. Whether they were ever issued or not is something I can not speculate on.

Steve
    sh4pak
    sh4pak
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

Post by sh4pak Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:59 pm

" Although it is illogical and a waste to contract and buy things that aren't used, the DoD often has it's own special form of logic which we mere private sector mortals can not hope to understand "

Indeed! Though, to be honest, in my experience-- it is the men who wear suits and lurk about the second floor of The Building who subscribe to this "special form" of logic. Few in uniform are so obtuse (although there are some, and I've met a couple).

My guess is that the major who wore this was probably not in cahoots with any Chinese faction.

One thing that I would like to thank everyone here for is in how you have changed my disposition on collecting. I always had an eye for things, but since I've been talking to you-- you've not only sharpened it, but you've given me a much better appreciation of these Things We Collect. I used to just have The Box I'm Keeping (which were items in my size), and The Box I'm Selling (too small). Now, I have The Box of Heroes (which is to be kept forever, or until such a time as they may be handed down to somebody who cares).

Thanks for the refinement, Gentlemen.
    downboy
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by downboy Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:22 pm

Wow..never knew that people would fake Gulf War 1 items?Was already an adult collector and modeller at that time and always perusing BQM,USCAV catalogs and Soldier of fortune,Time,Newsweek,Life magazines etc... for pictorial references.No instant internet visual magic then.
    They never hid the fact that you knew they were commercial were the MADE IN U.S.A. print on the similarly issue made labels.Propper and Truspec were still making them stateside then.
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:34 am

That's just the thing, I haven't seen any specific attempts at faking GW1 stuff. Which is one reason why I don't think the items I have with DLA and DSA tags are frauds. There's really no incentive to fake something like this, especially with an early 1980s date.

Steve
    downboy
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by downboy Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:02 am

CollectinSteve wrote:That's just the thing, I haven't seen any specific attempts at faking GW1 stuff. Which is one reason why I don't think the items I have with DLA and DSA tags are frauds. There's really no incentive to fake something like this, especially with an early 1980s date.

Steve
    My thoughts exactly Steve.
    Then the camo to be had and most sought after was the Night Desert Parka.
    Nes
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:34 pm

Yup. Now, at the time there were US made (or at least US corporate made) copies for the commercial market. Absolutely, as the US Cav scan shows very clearly. But these would not have fake contract numbers on them so there's no way the pieces found in catalogs and surplus shops could be confused with the real items even 20 years later.

Steve
    Martin
    Martin
    Captain
    Captain

Name : Martin
    Registration date : 2009-06-25
    Number of posts : 930

Post by Martin Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:09 am

Not exactly the same topic, but related, faked 1980s items, this looks maybe suspicious DAL?:

Six-Color Cover 2394651879_6
    Six-Color Cover 2394651879_5
    Six-Color Cover 2394651879_4
    Six-Color Cover 2394651879_3
    Six-Color Cover 2394651879_2
    Six-Color Cover 2394651879_1
    Six-Color Cover 2394651879
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:45 am

Oddly enough, this supports what I've been speculating on. Why? Because this jacket is not a fake Smile Yup, this was probably one of the very last OD-107 jungle items ever officially made:

http://www.socnet.com/archive/index.php/t-64589.html

Note that the design is the "Transitional" cut which came about around 1977. The camouflage versions were discontinued in 1981 when the BDU design was introduced. However, the OD version continued on for a while. Apparently 1987. Notice that there are take up tabs on the sides, which was a short lived feature of the time and not found on the earlier Transition type uniforms.

From what I understand the uniform was in very limited use mostly with personnel operating in Central and South America. The uniform was kept in circulation because they had not yet introduced the Hot Weather version of Woodland. As soon as they did, they killed off the OD version for standard use. OPFOR still had access to OG and Black versions in the BDU style, but not sure when that started.

Plus, why would anybody fake a 1987 model OG-107 jungle jacket? If it were a US contractor making them for a commercial market the label would not have a DLA number or other pieces of information. In fact, I have a set of trousers I got in the early 1990s, made in the US, and it doesn't have labels that look anything like the real deals.

Steve
    sh4pak
    sh4pak
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

Post by sh4pak Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:52 am

Oui! Further backed up by the fact that "DAL" numbers are real, but rare.

Normally, it is "DLA," but "DAL" exists.: http://www.dla.mil/documents/acronyms.pdf (ctrl + f [enter] DAL , and you'll see).

You done good, buddy.

--D.
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:00 am

That is pretty cool, isn't it? The wonders of Google Smile

Steve
    Martin
    Martin
    Captain
    Captain

Name : Martin
    Registration date : 2009-06-25
    Number of posts : 930

Post by Martin Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:38 am

So should I buy it - it's about $60 not shipped....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:31 pm