IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Strange and unusual DPM smock

fourtycoats
    fourtycoats
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Registration date : 2010-01-13
    Number of posts : 446

Strange and unusual DPM smock Empty Strange and unusual DPM smock

Post by fourtycoats Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:06 pm

Overall. similar shape to a SAS smock made from fine gaberdine. It has 19 pockets in total which are clearly shaped for specific reasons.On each side there is a magazine type pocket, a short wide pockets and a lower cargo pocket, which has a smaller pocket on the front. There are two vertical zipper pockets on the front and a long 45 degree degree pocket on each side lined with mesh and having a smaller mesh pocket inside. I first thought that these were ventilation slots but the liners are like pockets although they could do for ventilation slots if nothing was in the pockets.Strange and unusual DPM smock Dscf1111

Strange and unusual DPM smock Dscf1114

There are vertical zip pockets at hip level on each side one of which contain a large dump pouch which folds out and is kept open by two press studs on the sides of the jacket.[img]Strange and unusual DPM smock Dscf1112

Strange and unusual DPM smock Dscf1113

At the back is an enormous total width pocket on the lower half containing a mesh "radio" pocket and a holding strap. Running up from this pocket, to the neck is a channel for a wire which can be continued in a channel around the neck to exit on either side of the head.

Strange and unusual DPM smock Dscf1115
    There is a strange gorget patch with velcro which goes across the top of the front zipper and can be configured in two different ways
    Strange and unusual DPM smock Dscf1117
    The pockets have mesh bottoms like the Tantalus trials smocks.

Strange and unusual DPM smock Dscf1118

The label is typical of a trials smock and will not make a clear photo. All I can read is the size 180/104, the NSN which is all zeroes and the maker's name which is MANTISS To cap it all, the sleeves are finished with leather cuffs which are original and not repairs]

Has anyone come across anything like this or has any idea on what it would be used for?
    Bury_Dave
    Bury_Dave
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Name : Dave
    Registration date : 2012-02-14
    Number of posts : 822

Strange and unusual DPM smock Empty Re: Strange and unusual DPM smock

Post by Bury_Dave Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:28 pm

That is some find Sean. Very, very cool. However I am at a loss to get a handle on its' pedigree. Label seems to point at trials as you rightly surmise but the zippers and pop stud don't look like anythinge i've ever seen on an issue smock before. The zippers seem vaguely familiar but I can't think of where.

The number of pockets I really don't get. To carry that much kit in a smock so lightweight seems to me to be asking for trouble. That's what webbing is for ! It seems overly fussy for military issue.

Is an NSN with lots of zeros a sign of a trials garment or of someone trying to add authenticity without upsetting the MoD ? Mind, even 'SAS' smocks aren't labelled right ! Everything trials I have seen g
    Had a red SCRDE label and/or 'trials' written somewhere.

I wish I could help. If you don't know then I don't know what chance the rest of us have as you're a guy who seriously knows his onions ! Smile
    Tommo
    Tommo
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Name : Rory Thompson
    Registration date : 2011-07-21
    Number of posts : 341

Post by Tommo Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:18 am

Lovely that is!
    fourtycoats
    fourtycoats
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Post by fourtycoats Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:50 pm

You are right Tommo. It is a very nice jacket, Dave, I have concluded that the jacket is too well made(and expensive to make) and too specific in function to be commercial. I agree with you about the load carrying capacity, why build it in to the jacket? There must have been a reason, but the Swiss did something similar for general usage.Someone sat down with the tailors and was very specific about what they wanted where and why. The positioning of the radio pocket would make the jacket unuseable in a vehicle. Why only 2 ammo pockets(if that is what they are)? Why the external dump pockets, maybe you want to leave nothing behind? I suspect I will never know unless one of the original users reads this forum.
    Bury_Dave
    Bury_Dave
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post by Bury_Dave Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:08 pm

Sean, have you thought about posting it on ARRSE ? Much more likely to have someone see it who knows what it is.

Dave
    fourtycoats
    fourtycoats
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Post by fourtycoats Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:22 pm

Good idea Dave. I have just put it up. Thank goodness that URL based photo links works across forums.
    Bury_Dave
    Bury_Dave
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post by Bury_Dave Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:00 am

I'll have to keep an eye on there and see what comments you get. If one of those guys can't identify it, no-one will.

Dave
    Rich83
    Rich83
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Name : Rich
    Registration date : 2012-03-24
    Number of posts : 144

Post by Rich83 Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:05 am

I think that is very cool. Could it be the British take on an assault vest? It could be a trial of a light weight vest (like those popular with fishermen) but built into a smock, a kind of light weight webbing almost? Makes sense if it has mag pouches and the dump pouches are a good idea as it may be more useful/keep mags in than just throwing them down the front of the smock.

I imagine that it was probably too complicated to roll out on a full scale and also probably too niche to make as well but what a wicked find and I'd love to find out more about it.
    bravo_2_zero
    bravo_2_zero
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Registration date : 2009-04-16
    Number of posts : 812

Post by bravo_2_zero Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:52 pm

Reminds me of the crewmans webbing with its configuration. All the pockets style say to me evacuation from a vehicle ?
    Rich83
    Rich83
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by Rich83 Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:53 pm

Could it be helicopter crew? Gunners and such? Would it perhaps be worn over armour?
    Rich83
    Rich83
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by Rich83 Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:54 pm

You know, thinking about it that makes some sense. Traditional webbing would get in the way in a vehical. I've ridden around in a Snatch and it was cramped as hell with just pouches on the front of my Osprey and a large bladder on my back.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 6:55 am